Hymer battery discharging help please!

Fionadb1

Good morning everyone

We recently purchased a Hymer B674sl from Germany.

We are relit new to motorhomes as previously had a caravan. All the paperwork is in German! Apart from a manual we have. It is like reading Russian! When plugged into mains at home with 12 v off all is fine to start. When on out first trip away, on site and plugged into site, when we went to leave, battery flat and would not start. Any ideas anyone? Thanks so much.

The Elektroblock charges both leisure and engine batteries, once leisure batteries are 80%charged it then gives a triclkle charge to the engine battery of between 2 & 6 amps depending on model.

Sound like a duff engine battery, you can check the dngine battery voltage on the jump start terminzl under the bonnet, its next to the fuse box.

Sounds like you have a fault somewhere because the Elektrobloc should keep both engine and habitation batteries completely topped up when plugged in. The Elektrobloc does the charging completely automatically.

Fault could simply be the engine battery or it could be in the Electroblock. If you bought your MH from a dealer there is a possibility that the engine battery had gone flat while in their yard and the recharge to get it going again hasn't solved the underlying problem that it needs replacement - but equally there could be an Electrobloc fault.

What does your Control Panel say about battery voltages when on EHU? Does it show any charging current to either battery? If not use the Elektrobloc battery switch (rather than the one on the Control Panel) to isolate the batteries before using a separate battery charger to recharge the batteries directly.

If you used Bundesvan to import the MH ask them for advice and assistance, otherwise ask the dealer in Germany. Faiiling that get a competent autoelectrician to look at it. Problem is that although the Elektrobloc systems are good and reliable, not just any autoelecrician would know enough to deal with a fault situation like this. AandACaravans (members of this forum) would be by far your best bet if you can get the MH to them in N Wales because they carry spares as well as Schaudt know-how.

Schaudt, the manufacturers, are very helpful and speak good English. Go to their website and email for info and advice. State the type of Elektrobloc and Control Panel. Ask for the Manuals (as pdf files, in English) which are invaluable, which they will supply foc.

I have a 2006 B674 which has a 101 Elektroblock and it given excellent service for 10 years, as have theExide leisure batteries, although I did have to replace the engine battery at 8 years. Yours is probably later and may be different. Don't start thinking the Schaudt system is a poor one, it's not. You have a fault, that's all.

If your Elektroblock turn out to be a 101 send me your email address via PM and I will send you the Schaudt manuals.

Thanks so much for you help, I will have a LOOKY in the van and come back to you. When plugged into mains here (at home) it starts no problem at all. Therefore I do not understand why we have an issue onsite

I will go and have a looker EHU (what is that?!) I sound a complete loser I know........ But a BIG thanks you again

Even if the EHU supply on site was fautly, your engine starter battery shouldn't have gone flat so there has to be a fault of some sort in your MH. If the starter battery charges up and holds charge when you are plugged in at home then maybe the problem is that it won't hold charge for long, in which case the sooner you replace the starter battery the better.

Your Schaudt Control Panel should have a button for battery condition and this should show the voltage and charge rate for starter and leisure batteries seperately and also, if you press again, the charge level of the leisure batteries. This is a calculated figure derived from monitoring charge rates over time so it won't display correctly if you have used an external charger directly on to the batteries but it will sort itself out over the next few days of normal operation.

I recently had similar symptoms and suspected the battery and the charger. It turned out to be the alternator which was not showing any warning lights but was on the way out. However I would check the line fuses from the charger and have the battery tested before looking at the alternator. Good luck!

Could it be you left a cab light(s)/ radio on when on site overnight this could drain the engine battery if its not at its healthiest to begin with.

If you carry out the checks others have suggested and find no problem that's where my money would be going.

Assuming this is a brand new vehicle with new batteries, then unless you have suffered sudden catastrophic failure of the Starter battery (unlikely) I don't see how it can be a Motorhome issue? Particularly as it works fine when on the drive unoccupied. If the issue occurs only when occupied it suggests a usage issue?

If the Control display screen registers some voltage of the Starter battery, then the wiring/fuses are intact from the EBL to the Starter battery/Alternator.

Almost all of the consumers in the vehicle run off the Habitation battery so this would go flat first. The fact that it has not, suggests all is ok but the long term use of some device running off the Starter battery, like the stereo or lights may be a problem?

The Elektroblock (depending on the version) only puts a low current charge into the Starter battery, and only then when the Habitation battery draw is small.

If your usage of the Habitation battery has been high, then the mains charger would have put little into the Starter battery. Especially if the heater blower/pump is running all night long?

If this is coupled with high use of a Starter Battery appliance (we know one person who has a pop out 7" TV screen as part of the stereo system) the Starter battery will become discharged. A Stereo can take quite a chunk of power out of the battery.

If the Starter battery has gone completely flat, it's life will, at best, be shortened so we suggest you monitor it?

Assuming this is a brand new vehicle with new batteries, then unless you have suffered sudden catastrophic failure of the Starter battery (unlikely) I don't see how it can be a Motorhome issue? Particularly as it works fine when on the drive unoccupied. If the issue occurs only when occupied it suggests a usage issue?

If the Control display screen registers some voltage of the Starter battery, then the wiring/fuses are intact from the EBL to the Starter battery/Alternator.

Almost all of the consumers in the vehicle run off the Habitation battery so this would go flat first. The fact that it has not, suggests all is ok but the long term use of some device running off the Starter battery, like the stereo or lights may be a problem?

The Elektroblock (depending on the version) only puts a low current charge into the Starter battery, and only then when the Habitation battery draw is small.

If your usage of the Habitation battery has been high, then the mains charger would have put little into the Starter battery. Especially if the heater blower/pump is running all night long?

If this is coupled with high use of a Starter Battery appliance (we know one person who has a pop out 7" TV screen as part of the stereo system) the Starter battery may become discharged.

A Stereo can take quite a chunk of power out of a battery.

If the Starter battery has gone completely flat, it's life will, at best, be shortened so we suggest you monitor it?

Are you quite sure it is the battery? I had a similar problem which turned out to be a starter motor on its way out. It finally failed completely on the forecourt of the garage which had been trying to find the fault. Very convenient as I did then not need to call the recovery services.

Archived