Help with choosing the right Autotrail

Kristy

Hi folks, new member here in need of help in choosing the right Autotrail for me and my partner. We currently have a few in mind which we really like the look of, however none of us are mechanically minded and don't want to make a huge mistake from just going off the look of the van and its interior.

Here are the ones we really like and are looking to go and view soon but any input/experience with these models would be much appreciated before we travel to view them. Thanks in advance!

Also, this will be our first motorhome which we will be spending most of our time in so as you can imagine, selecting the right one is daunting to say the least 8-)

The models are:

2001 Cheyenne 635 - 97,000m

2000 Cheyenne 634U - 42,000m

1998 Mohican - 35,000m ( we really like this but is the age going to be a problem ) ?

2001 Cherokee - 34,500m

2003 Cheyenne 635SE - 74,000m

ANY info, expertise, advice ( good & bad ), mechanical info, reliability, known problems, etc. on these specific models would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly!

As they are all from the same manufacturer, and all made around about the same time, I doubt if any one particular model will be any better or worse than any other.

In which case, go on whichever layout you think might suit you best.

However, at the age of vans you're lookin at, and with your relative inexperience, I would say it is essential that you pay someone to thoroughly check a van over, especially for damp, before buying.

Is there any reason why you're only looking at Autotrails?

Other makes are available, and there will be many on here who will urge you to look at Continental makes, and give you dire warnings about the poor quality of British vans. My own view would be that if it's lasted this long already, and an independent expert as above gives it a clean bill of health, you should be fine.

Good luck. But please do get it checked over thoroughly first.

candapack - 2015-10-22 8:52 AM

As they are all from the same manufacturer, and all made around about the same time, I doubt if any one particular model will be any better or worse than any other.

In which case, go on whichever layout you think might suit you best.

However, at the age of vans you're lookin at, and with your relative inexperience, I would say it is essential that you pay someone to thoroughly check a van over, especially for damp, before buying.

Is there any reason why you're only looking at Autotrails?

Other makes are available, and there will be many on here who will urge you to look at Continental makes, and give you dire warnings about the poor quality of British vans. My own view would be that if it's lasted this long already, and an independent expert as above gives it a clean bill of health, you should be fine.

Good luck. But please do get it checked over thoroughly first.

Thank you for your help!

2 reasons for Autotrail. The first is simply we like how they look on the outside and we like their layouts and interior compared to others we've seen. 2nd, I've read from others on the net that they're a solid build, especially the older models. How true this is, I don't know?

Regarding continental makes, any suggestions for us to look at?

Also, how do we go about finding a professional to take with us to check the van over and for damp, etc? We don't know anyone personally who has this knowledge of motorhomes. Where would we find such a person?

Thanks again. All help is much appreciated!

Agee with. all of the above advice, one thing not mentioned is weight and the licenses you might hold. I own an Autotrail ,so am not trying to put you off, they are well built , but tend to be a bit heavy, mine is 3650 so, above 3500kg ,the limit for a 'new' since 1997, car license, When did you pass your test ? Before 1997 fine, if after, you'll need to check the weights of the vans you are looking at.

You can buy a reasonable quality Damp meter from Amazon. Try and get a warranty on the van! Good luck.

Rayjsj - 2015-10-22 9:57 AM

Agee with. all of the above advice, one thing not mentioned is weight and the licenses you might hold. I own an Autotrail ,so am not trying to put you off, they are well built , but tend to be a bit heavy, mine is 3650 so, above 3500kg ,the limit for a 'new' since 1997, car license, When did you pass your test ? Before 1997 fine, if after, you'll need to check the weights of the vans you are looking at.

You can buy a reasonable quality Damp meter from Amazon. Try and get a warranty on the van! Good luck.

Thanks for that! Yes, we're looking for 3500kg and under. How long have you had your Autotrail? Has it given you any problems at all?

You say ... QUOTE Also, this will be our first motorhome which we will be spending most of our time in.....

It does sound as though you may be of an older generation seeking an adventure. To make a life time decision in an instant is not easy.

Travelling around the UK is fairly strait forward with plenty of service points available. If you intend to travel into Europe a more serious approach is wise.

Are you prepared to live in a confined space "most of our time" you say.

I haven't answered your questions, being unfamiliar with those models but most important you've made a start, there are a lot of seasoned users on here with a wealth of knowledge.

Will86

Kristy - 2015-10-22 9:25 AM

Thank you for your help!

2 reasons for Autotrail. The first is simply we like how they look on the outside and we like their layouts and interior compared to others we've seen. 2nd, I've read from others on the net that they're a solid build, especially the older models. How true this is, I don't know?

Also, how do we go about finding a professional to take with us to check the van over and for damp, etc? We don't know anyone personally who has this knowledge of motorhomes. Where would we find such a person?

If you like the look ,feel, and layout of Autotrails, as I said, provided you can be confident the one you get is in good nick, go for it.

The foreign makes that get most mentions on here as examples of build quality tend to be German, eg Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs and more.

You should be able to find someone just by Googling "motorhome servicing" or similar.

Cheers,

Will H - 2015-10-22 12:19 PM

You say ... QUOTE Also, this will be our first motorhome which we will be spending most of our time in.....

It does sound as though you may be of an older generation seeking an adventure. To make a life time decision in an instant is not easy.

Travelling around the UK is fairly strait forward with plenty of service points available. If you intend to travel into Europe a more serious approach is wise.

Are you prepared to live in a confined space "most of our time" you say.

I haven't answered your questions, being unfamiliar with those models but most important you've made a start, there are a lot of seasoned users on here with a wealth of knowledge.

Will86

Hi Will, we're actually a younger couple. I'm 30 and my other half is 46 :-D His work can take him all over the country hence me saying we'll be spending most of our time in our new van. We both LOVE travelling and don't like to stop in one place so with this and my partners work, a motorhome is ideal for us.

candapack - 2015-10-22 1:03 PM

Kristy - 2015-10-22 9:25 AM

Thank you for your help!

If you like the look ,feel, and layout of Autotrails, as I said, provided you can be confident the one you get is in good nick, go for it.

The foreign makes that get most mentions on here as examples of build quality tend to be German, eg Hymer, Burstner, Dethleffs and more.

You should be able to find someone just by Googling "motorhome servicing" or similar.

Cheers,

You're a star! Thanks for this info. I shall look up those makes as I don't want to miss out on something that's potentially better. However, so far, we feel Autotrail is going to suit us best.

We definitely won't be buying unless we have someone with us who can thouroughly check the van over first so we'll look into that too. Thanks again!

Hi Kristy

We are on our second AutoTrail, albeit a lot newer than you are thinking of, however we like the build quality of ours and people do say that the older models are even better.

If the Mohican you are looking at is the one on Ebay at Scotch Corner, then it looks in great condition for its age and well looked after (I know it is difficult to say that when you haven't seen it in the flesh so to speak). The price looks good too and has a present MOT, etc. - definitely worth a look.

Good luck in your search for a suitable MH.

Alan

Hi Kirsty,

We own and use our 2005 Autotrail Tracker in fact was out last night and will be again out next week for 4 or 5 days. We have had our van for 3 years and in that time have had over 60 weeks in Europe plus many days/weeks in the UK. You will know what van is for you when you step in it. Just make sure when you get one USE IT B-) .

Have a look on Facebook for the Autotrail Owners Group , free to join lots of good advice on Autotrails.

1153015966_Ross1a.thumb.jpg.b17d89d758680e764a9e7ab53de8a125.jpg

I'm on my 4th Auto-Trail and from experience I would say that pre x250 were far better built. If you want some advice based on what you have posted I would recommend you select an x240 with the ROUND Fiat emblem on the radiator and not the Diagonal one. This is because there were one or two improvements to the chassis which included the gearbox. Auto-Trail also built bodies on the Merc chassis during this period as well which are rear wheel drive but have a tendency to roll slightly when cornering. My first Auto-Trail was a 634 Merc rear lounge which was perfect in every way and was traded in at Richard Baldwins. I've noticed that it was traded in by the previous owner recently and wasn't on the forecourt long and has been sold again for a similar amount of money. They certainly hold their value and don't depreciate very much

Not all Auto-Trails are trouble free though, I've had serious water ingress problems with two of them which were built on the x250 Fiat chassis and are long gone. My latest one is perfect in every respect and because of previous issues I know where to look.

I'm on my 4th Auto-Trail and from experience I would say that pre x250 were far better built. If you want some advice based on what you have posted I would recommend you select an x240 with the ROUND Fiat emblem on the radiator and not the Diagonal one. This is because there were one or two improvements to the chassis which included the gearbox. Auto-Trail also built bodies on the Merc chassis during this period as well which are rear wheel drive but have a tendency to roll slightly when cornering. My first Auto-Trail was a 634 Merc rear lounge which was perfect in every way and was traded in at Richard Baldwins. I've noticed that it was traded in by the previous owner recently and wasn't on the forecourt long and has been sold again for a similar amount of money. They certainly hold their value and don't depreciate very much

Not all Auto-Trails are trouble free though, I've had serious water ingress problems with two of them which were built on the x250 Fiat chassis and are long gone. My latest one is perfect in every respect and because of previous issues I know where to look.

AlanS - 2015-10-22 1:55 PM

Hi Kristy

We are on our second AutoTrail, albeit a lot newer than you are thinking of, however we like the build quality of ours and people do say that the older models are even better.

If the Mohican you are looking at is the one on Ebay at Scotch Corner, then it looks in great condition for its age and well looked after (I know it is difficult to say that when you haven't seen it in the flesh so to speak). The price looks good too and has a present MOT, etc. - definitely worth a look.

Good luck in your search for a suitable MH.

Alan

Yes, that's the one and it's my favourite! The age was worrying me a little but people keep saying the same thing, the older ones are often better and built very well. The dealership seems very genuine too and offer a full service, recent MOT, new habitation check and a 30 day no quibble guarantee. This sounds good to me. I just love the layout and interior of the Mohican. It's the one I keep going back to. Thanks for your help!

Kristy - 2015-10-22 11:47 AM

Rayjsj - 2015-10-22 9:57 AM

Thanks for that! Yes, we're looking for 3500kg and under. How long have you had your Autotrail? Has it given you any problems at all?

. Our Autotrail was new in 2012, only problems we have had have been with the Fiat base vehicle (DPF filter problems, because we are 'leisurely drivers' which is wrong evidently.) and some faults with the Truman Combi 4e, neither of which is Autotrails fault. Apart from that, we love the layout (the most important thing).

rolandrat - 2015-10-22 2:36 PM

Thank you for the words of advice. Info like this is what we're after as we haven't a clue in this area. In fact it's where I'm totally lost 8-) Can you tell me if this Mohican is x240. Hubby not home from work yet so can't ask him - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111769755908?redirect=mobile

Thank you!

Zydeco Joe - 2015-10-22 2:29 PM

Hi Kirsty,

We own and use our 2005 Autotrail Tracker in fact was out last night and will be again out next week for 4 or 5 days. We have had our van for 3 years and in that time have had over 60 weeks in Europe plus many days/weeks in the UK. You will know what van is for you when you step in it. Just make sure when you get one USE IT B-) .

Have a look on Facebook for the Autotrail Owners Group , free to join lots of good advice on Autotrails.

Your van looks lovely! I sent a request to join that group last night. Thanks for your help!

Kristy - 2015-10-22 2:43 PM
AlanS - 2015-10-22 1:55 PMHi KristyWe are on our second AutoTrail, albeit a lot newer than you are thinking of, however we like the build quality of ours and people do say that the older models are even better.If the Mohican you are looking at is the one on Ebay at Scotch Corner, then it looks in great condition for its age and well looked after (I know it is difficult to say that when you haven't seen it in the flesh so to speak). The price looks good too and has a present MOT, etc. - definitely worth a look. Good luck in your search for a suitable MH.Alan
Yes, that's the one and it's my favourite! The age was worrying me a little but people keep saying the same thing, the older ones are often better and built very well. The dealership seems very genuine too and offer a full service, recent MOT, new habitation check and a 30 day no quibble guarantee. This sounds good to me. I just love the layout and interior of the Mohican. It's the one I keep going back to. Thanks for your help!

As it is a dealership purchase you're looking at then they should be able and willing (if it means getting a sale)to provide a damp check report without any difficulty.  If that, the service record, hab service check etc and everything works as it should then Robert is your fathers brother...........oh and make sure the tyres have plenty of life in them..MH tyres rarely need changing due to wear, mainly it is because they are old....and over 5-7 years they really need considering as needing changing.  Google 'age of tyres' for info.
Good luck.

Hi kirsty,

There is one Autotrail that we looked at about 18 months ago and took for a trial run before committing ourselves.

it was only half a mile along the road before the smell of drains hit us..we went home and emptied the wastetank..it hadnt been emptied by previous user..

I am afraid to say, that even though the selling Garage agreed to wash out tank, we decided he couldnt be trusted so walked away and went elsewhere..

please note I wrote Garage, not Dealer..!

It was a nice looking Tracker model.

Moral, be very choosy when buying, and check absolutely everything .

We eventually bought a 2009 Autocruise Stargazer, which had a good reputation when it first appeared on the market, but it has just gone in to have a second attempt to locate the damp penetration. Warranty job,

And we thought it had been fixed prior to purchase..damp tested then and seemed ok..18 months later it shows up again..

please buy from reputable source and thoroughly check everything including warranty conditions.

tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-10-22 5:04 PM

..please buy from reputable source and thoroughly check everything including warranty conditions.

tonyg3nwl.

Yes, make sure that they show you everything actually working(..and on every power source!) before you hand over any money!

(Don't just let them tell you what all of the switches and buttons are supposed to do).

Too many dealers seem to use the seller to do their fault-finding for them. with a "..if there's something wrong, you'll bring back.." approach. :-S

There are plenty of vehicles out there, so try not to jump at one of the first few you happen to fall for.. ;-)

Kristy - 2015-10-22 3:15 PM

rolandrat - 2015-10-22 2:36 PM

Thank you for the words of advice. Info like this is what we're after as we haven't a clue in this area. In fact it's where I'm totally lost 8-) Can you tell me if this Mohican is x240. Hubby not home from work yet so can't ask him - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111769755908?redirect=mobile

Thank you!

Hi Kirsty,

looking at the photograph it has the diagonal badge not the circular one which is on the bonnet leading edge also I notice that it has a 2.5 turbo engine not a 2.8. I'm not familiar with the spec on it so it would be unwise to give an honest appraisal. Someone might come along who has ownership experience who can advise you far better on the chassis side of things.

Roland

Archived