Help with choosing the right Autotrail

Kristy

rolandrat - 2015-10-22 8:37 PM

Kristy,

just as a matter of interest there's a 53 reg Merc Sprintshift (Automatic) for sale at Motorlands Freckleton, Nr Preston that you could be interested in. They are on the internet. It's the same layout that you like. The auto boxes are bomb-proof.

Just double checked, it's a manual gearbox not auto.

As a matter of interest the Auto-Trail 640 is similar in layout.

pepe63 - 2015-10-22 6:00 PM

Yes, make sure that they show you everything actually working(..and on every power source!) before you hand over any money!

(Don't just let them tell you what all of the switches and buttons are supposed to do).

Too many dealers seem to use the BUYER to do their fault-finding for them. with a "..if there's something wrong, they'll bring it back.." approach. :-S

There are plenty of vehicles out there, so try not to jump at one of the first few you happen to fall for.. ;-)

Oops! missed edit but just tweaked some glaring errors in my earlier post... :$

Hi Kristy

I am on my second AT both bought from new. My current van was registered in 2013. I have unfortunately had a lot of quality problems on both. The list is too long to go into here but I would say two things. You are buying second hand so the chances are that any problems experienced by previous owners have already been sorted out. Secondly, if buying from new the correct selection of dealer is vital. Basically you want a dealer who is " on your side" with the manufacturer and who will go that extra mile for you. Autotrail do look fabulous but the newer one's are prone to many quality issues. Having said that, and in fairness to AT, they do stand by their warranty and in my experience are regular and forthcoming with their spare parts under warranty.

Hi Kirsty

We purchased our AT Scout new in 2012 and thrilled with it, especially the layout and storage The build quality is excellent (no rattles or squeeks) and all the furnishings look like new (even after 9k miles and 100 plus nights away with 11 year old and a dog). Only issues have been with the Fiat end specifically the leaking scuttle (easily sorted with mastic) and the throttle vale (which failed because of the previous issue).

Plenty of good advice above but the one you have focussed on looks worth a closer look.

Zydeco Joe - 2015-10-22 4:49 PM

Thank you Kristy her name is Tiva. All AT's are Native American names so we call our after the Hopi Indian name for dancer. :-D

Oooo, that's a lovely name. You've got me thinking about what to call ours when we get it now :-D

tonyg3nwl - 2015-10-22 5:04 PM

..please buy from reputable source and thoroughly check everything including warranty conditions.

tonyg3nwl.

Yes, make sure that they show you everything actually working(..and on every power source!) before you hand over any money!

(Don't just let them tell you what all of the switches and buttons are supposed to do).

Too many dealers seem to use the seller to do their fault-finding for them. with a "..if there's something wrong, you'll bring back.." approach. :-S

There are plenty of vehicles out there, so try not to jump at one of the first few you happen to fall for.. ;-)

Thank you for this. Things like switches I wouldn't of even thought of. So glad I joined this forum. You've all been so helpful. I'm going to write a checklist I think before we go and view.

rolandrat - 2015-10-22 7:43 PM

Kristy - 2015-10-22 3:15 PM

rolandrat - 2015-10-22 2:36 PM

I'm on my 4th Auto-Trail and from experience I would say that pre x250 were far better built. If you want some advice based on what you have posted I would recommend you select an x240 with the ROUND Fiat emblem on the radiator and not the Diagonal one. This is because there were one or two improvements to the chassis which included the gearbox. Auto-Trail also built bodies on the Merc chassis during this period as well which are rear wheel drive but have a tendency to roll slightly when cornering. My first Auto-Trail was a 634 Merc rear lounge which was perfect in every way and was traded in at Richard Baldwins. I've noticed that it was traded in by the previous owner recently and wasn't on the forecourt long and has been sold again for a similar amount of money. They certainly hold their value and don't depreciate very much

Not all Auto-Trails are trouble free though, I've had serious water ingress problems with two of them which were built on the x250 Fiat chassis and are long gone. My latest one is perfect in every respect and because of previous issues I know where to look.

Thank you for the words of advice. Info like this is what we're after as we haven't a clue in this area. In fact it's where I'm totally lost 8-) Can you tell me if this Mohican is x240. Hubby not home from work yet so can't ask him - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111769755908?redirect=mobile

Thank you!

Hi Kirsty,

looking at the photograph it has the diagonal badge not the circular one which is on the bonnet leading edge also I notice that it has a 2.5 turbo engine not a 2.8. I'm not familiar with the spec on it so it would be unwise to give an honest appraisal. Someone might come along who has ownership experience who can advise you far better on the chassis side of things.

Roland

Typical lol. The ones I like the most all have the diagonal badge. Is it something we should be put off by?

rolandrat - 2015-10-22 8:57 PM

I just need to add something regarding the 2.5turbo'd engine in the Auto-Trail that you are interested in. Have you considered the emissions regulations with older engined motorhomes? I don't think it will be fitted with a catylitic system on the exhaust pipe.

I've spoken to my partner about this and it's something we've got to look into. However, as we have a certain budget which means the vans we're looking at are older, I think it's a compromise we're going to have to make.

Kristy - 2015-10-23 1:47 PM

tonyg3nwl - 2015-10-22 5:04 PM

..please buy from reputable source and thoroughly check everything including warranty conditions.

tonyg3nwl.

Too many dealers seem to use the buyer to do their fault-finding for them. with a "..if there's something wrong, they'll bring it back.." approach. :-S

Thank you for this. Things like switches I wouldn't of even thought of. So glad I joined this forum...

Hi again...

Unfortunately, checking that everything works correctly isn't always as easy as it sounds...for starters, being new to MHs are you really going to know how/what/when things are supposed to work?

(..even those of us who have had a MH before, can get swept away with the "new-toy syndrome" and just plain miss stuff. (lol) ).

So, as I think others have already said, use a well respected dealer (and if possible look into getting someone to check it over for you?).

Good luck with it.

I'm going to suggest you buy this book: http://tinyurl.com/pvxmruf. It will answer many of your questions - plus a few you haven't yet thought of! Pay particular attention to the section dealing with payload, and how it is calculated.

In addition to anything said above, I reckon you will need a minimum difference between the Mass in Running Order (MIRO, the book will explain) of whatever van you buy, and its plated MAM (again, the book will explain), of a minimum of 500kg, ideally nearer 700kg. I don't think there is an "official" term for this figure, but let's call it the gross payload.

I'm emphasising this because one of the vans you've been looking at is plated at 3,400kg and, as said above, Autotrails of this generation were not built light. The result is that they leave the factory relatively heavy (MIRO), and this impacts on the available payload. Remember also that the payload has to absorb not just food, clothing, tools and equipment (possibly including work tools and equipment?), but also water and gas, and anything that has been added to the van since it was built (roll out awning? bike rack? satellite dish? additional habitation battery? etc etc), plus yourselves and any pets etc, all of which come out of payload.

Second, I'm going to suggest you are very careful to ensure that vans of this age have the modified gearbox, and not the earlier one. I'm afraid I don't know in which year the change was introduced, but the earlier gearbox was really a four speed box converted to give five gears by adding the fifth gear in a kind of bolt-on extension to the box. Used on a commercial van it was generally fine, but in motorhomes that spend long periods parked, all the oil drained away form the fifth gear bearings leading to premature wear, and the need to replace the gear and its bearing. This is a DIY job for a moderately mechanically handy owner, though not easy, but I understand the gear is no longer available from Fiat, although for the time being is available from Peugeot sources under a different part number. How long that availability will last seems a bit of an open question, but few commercial vehicles are still on the road after 15 or more years, and manufacturers don't generally continue to hold spares for vehicles that are becoming rare.

The so called "facelifted" Ducatos, which have the larger headlamps in a similar body shape to those you have been looking at did, generally, have the modified gearbox that eliminates the problems of the earlier lash-up. But, as above, I'm unsure how reliable a guide headlamp size is as to which gearbox is fitted. Our first van was on a 2007 Ducato with the larger headlamps and definitely had the new box. Doubtless someone on here will know what year the new box came in, and what to look for. As Roland is suggesting, it may be as simple as looking for the round Fiat radiator badge. However, IMO, at the age they will now be, those with the earlier box will be worth avoiding - unless one of you loves playing with gearboxes!

Archived