Portugal/Spain tolls

capstan55

• 4 weeks later...
In Portugal I call in first services on toll road and buy a toll card for a set amount this you register by text to your registration number and number plate recognition does the rest. When money is used up you get a text advising you, money don't seem to expire I used what was left the following year

witzend - 2015-11-17 11:57 AM

In Portugal I call in first services on toll road and buy a toll card for a set amount this you register by text to your registration number and number plate recognition does the rest. When money is used up you get a text advising you, money don't seem to expire I used what was left the following year

Does this apply to both electronic toll roads as well as those toll roads which use the manual system with toll booths?

I've seen on the manual toll roads, there is a special Via Verde lane - so if you've bought a toll card, presumably you can use that lane.

I did purchase a toll card on one occasion (when I found myself on an electronic toll section) and found that they add an administration fee to the face value of the toll amount. Also, you can only purchase in blocks of 5 euro, if my memory serves me correct. All in all, it seemed an expensive way to purchase the toll.

I cannot comment on Portugal but would have to ask if getting one for Spain is really worth it. The vast majority of Spanish toll booths have at least one marked 'manual' and have a human being sitting there who will take cash and give change. Secondly apart from a few urban/known areas the toll roads in Spain are usually quiet as the truckers use the N roads. This allows them to not only save the toll but be able to meet their 'senioritas' , who are of course not Spanish, in some dodgy layby. Thirdly the actual tolls are much lower than in France and unless you are using them regularly, the costs to get a Tag do not add up. Plus in a good number of cases there is an adjacent Autovia, which is the same motorway, but no tolls.

I have one for France and it is a Godsend especially as France has machines in all the toll areas now but for Spain.....have not seen the need even though we cross it up and down each year.

Archived