Bike rack for Van Conversion

Bailey

I'm sure this is a fairly broad subject. I want to be able to carry 2 regular bikes on my Possl PVC. I'm not sure I'm in favour of putting the weight of 2 bikes on a standard rack attached to a door. So I suppose I would have to go down the road of having a tow bar fitted and then attaching the rack to that - I don't have any sensors on the bumper so that's one problem I don't have to worry about. I would like to have access to the storage area via the back doors but that's not a deal breaker as the bikes can be taken off if needs be.

There seems to be a huge choice of these - removable tow bars, retractable ones and of course fixed ones. Then the choice of racks seem to be very varied too with fixed ones and ones that swing out to give access to the back doors etc.

As I'm going to be spending a fair bit of money I might look at the rack being able to take electric bikes in a few years when my knees give out! This adds another dimension I suppose.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-xpress-970-_-970000

I will be looking for a bike rack for the van in the future,i will keep it simple as I only need one for just the one bike,will go for one that goes on the towbar and folds away when not needed like the one in the link,would think for the electric bikes a more heavy duty one would be best.

Bailey - 2015-10-23 3:22 PM

I want to be able to carry 2 regular bikes on my Possl PVC.

Hi,

I understand your concerns regarding the weight of bikes on the door of your Possl PVC. In my experience it is not a problem. We have had 5 PVC ‘vans, we carried bikes (two) on all of them, the rack being attached to the door. We experienced no problems or adverse effects. But of course you must do what you feel comfortable with.

Cattwg :-D

Hi

As someone with a PVC who carries bikes on a 'normal' rack attached to the rear doors I understand your concerns and I wouldn't ever put this type of carrier on another van.

I did see the kind of carrier that is described on the previous thread at the recent NEC show. It was being shown on the Roadpro stand and I'm sure you'd get more info from their site.

Dave

Archived