Medication.....How long are you out of the UK?

Bulletguy

Bulletguy - 2015-12-02 6:15 PM......................What i meant was when at the Pharmacy last week to pick up a fresh months supply, the Pharmacist told me i'd got one more prescription left after that. So what i now have will take me through to Dec end so the next prescription would be February.

What i'd been attempting today was to get another 6 x 1 mthly batch of prescriptions today, then call at a couple of Pharmacies with just one prescription to stockpile those in the hope (naive as it turned out) the dust would have settled by the time i want to go away next year........................

OK, my mistake. It seems the reason for this restrictive prescribing may be to protect the GP's interest, in that by prescribing as he does he avoids the allegation that he is overprescribing. Does he insist on seeing you each six months, when you ask for a fresh prescription, or does he just issue another six batched prescriptions without seeing you?

I'm just wondering what his reaction would be were you to ask for only three months at a time instead, which could then be provided in one single prescription for 12 weeks supply of the medication. That shouldn't present a difficulty, as it is within the prescribing guidelines, and doesn't breach the three months rule. It seems to me quite reasonable on your part, as you could then explain how restrictive the present set-up is in terms of your ability to travel out of area for more than one month at a time, because you have to keep returning to the pharmacist who holds the master copy of the prescription. If he'd do that, which is what most other GPs seem to do, it would free you from the pharmacist's manacles, for which I really can't see rhyme or reason. It would also allow you to take other prescriptions to other pharmacies. The choice of pharmacy should be as much your choice as is your choice of GP.

But, I would still be inclined to talk to the CCG - not write or email, just phone them - and see if you can get to someone who deals with prescribing practise, explain your dilemma and the prescribing practise of your GP (no names!), and how this ties you to home (and the pharmacy!) because of the monthly increments in which the six month prescription is written. Then ask if there is any way around this, because your GP seems to think this is what he is required to do. If you're not happy to go to your local CCG, try talking to another one, to see how they react to what you have recounted. It seems totally bizarre to me, and quite unreasonably restrictive. There must be some underlying reason for what he is doing, and an alternative way for the prescriptions to be written that would release you from virtual house arrest.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2015-12-03 6:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-12-02 6:15 PM......................What i meant was when at the Pharmacy last week to pick up a fresh months supply, the Pharmacist told me i'd got one more prescription left after that. So what i now have will take me through to Dec end so the next prescription would be February.

What i'd been attempting today was to get another 6 x 1 mthly batch of prescriptions today, then call at a couple of Pharmacies with just one prescription to stockpile those in the hope (naive as it turned out) the dust would have settled by the time i want to go away next year........................

OK, my mistake. It seems the reason for this restrictive prescribing may be to protect the GP's interest, in that by prescribing as he does he avoids the allegation that he is overprescribing. Does he insist on seeing you each six months, when you ask for a fresh prescription, or does he just issue another six batched prescriptions without seeing you?

I have what they call a review once a year every year which isn't done by the GP but the practice Nurse. Basically just a check up reminding me what weight i've put on and asking how many fags a day i smoke. They never ask how much i drink, they aren't interested in alcohol which always seems odd to me.

I'm just wondering what his reaction would be were you to ask for only three months at a time instead, which could then be provided in one single prescription for 12 weeks supply of the medication....

I could ask though given their database obsession it's unlikely i'd be able to accrue a few weeks stockpile. Ironically before the 6 x 1 monthly prescriptions came about, i was on monthlies and though it was a bug having to collect each month, it would have made it easier for me to build up a stock. The 6 x 1 monthly issues were encouraged by the GP's as it cuts their work load down. That's what the GP actually told me at the time yet i've been in the surgery when a GP has printed a prescription out for me. It takes less than 30 seconds.

My one final option next to moving to my friends GP is to purchase online and i have found a number of companies in US and Canada (none in UK) who sell the medication i use and do mail to the UK. It's not cheap by any means and i'm also very wary of risking it as i only have their say so that it is what it says it is on the box.

But, I would still be inclined to talk to the CCG - not write or email, just phone them - and see if you can get to someone who deals with prescribing practise, explain your dilemma and the prescribing practise of your GP (no names!), and how this ties you to home (and the pharmacy!) because of the monthly increments in which the six month prescription is written.

I could do. At this moment i've absolutely nothing to lose. As for not mentioning the GP's name (which i wouldn't), they only need ask where i live and that tells them.......because it's just a village with one surgery practice. In fact they could even locate the exact Pharmacist as that's also the only one in the village! So i think maybe your suggestion of another CCG would be better as they wouldn't have a clue where my village area is or the county it's in. I'd like to think a CCG wouldn't need to know.....but i may well be asked.

The only reason the GP has ever given me is, and i'm quoting verbatim here, "the NHS only allows a maximum prescription to cover two months but we (the surgery) allow three months". Well of course i now know that my GP was incorrect on that as i have it in black and white from the DoH letter who quoted the NHS Regulations Act 2004 to me.

It is extremely restrictive and much worse than i realised after what the Pharmacist told me yesterday. I was so staggered i simply left the premises but driving back home realised it's not just touring outside the UK they are restricting me to 3 months, but also touring in the UK away from home.

I'm just completely dumbfounded at that.

In our town there are 3 chemists, one of which is in a supermarket, one is Boots and the other used to be an independent until it was taken over by a chain a few years ago. All three want to operate the system whereby they collect the prescriptions on your behalf, or receive them electronically.

My wife and I have found the best way is to collect from the surgery in person, then you are not obligated to one particular pharmacy. If you chop and change pharmacy then no one of them will have a complete record of your prescriptions so that is one "problem" solved.

When we had our narrowboat we had no problem in getting a 6 month supply (in 2 halves) and using different pharmacies no one chemist had all of our records.

Dave

Dave C - 2015-12-04 9:22 AM

In our town there are 3 chemists, one of which is in a supermarket, one is Boots and the other used to be an independent until it was taken over by a chain a few years ago. All three want to operate the system whereby they collect the prescriptions on your behalf, or receive them electronically.

My wife and I have found the best way is to collect from the surgery in person, then you are not obligated to one particular pharmacy. If you chop and change pharmacy then no one of them will have a complete record of your prescriptions so that is one "problem" solved.

When we had our narrowboat we had no problem in getting a 6 month supply (in 2 halves) and using different pharmacies no one chemist had all of our records.

I believe you are absolutely right here Dave and this could certainly be a way to resolving my problem as both my GP and Pharmacist have effectively got me shackled. I know they both have a working relationship as when i've been in the surgery for an appointment i've sometimes seen one of the assistants from the Pharmacy call in to pick up prescriptions.

I need to resolve this issue well before i go away next year as this year just descended into utter chaos as i saw the doors slamming shut in my face. I'm determined to try to obtain 2 x 3 monthlies (as opposed to the 6 x 1mth), then break away from the Pharmacy i normally use and go to two entirely separate Pharmacists in the nearest town and see how they respond. Somehow i just feel sceptical over this 'master copy' he told me he keeps which seems very odd. I think he has already sussed me out that i'm trying to obtain 'a stock' (to put that into perspective....just 4 weeks extra so hardly 'stock piling'!!).

The sad thing about all this is both the GP and the Pharmacist are actually very pleasant chaps and i've done my utmost not to fall out with either.....but i've had to bite my tongue too many times now and been driven to despair over it.

Paul, what would happen if you wanted to go away for 12 weeks, which should be just less than three calendar months?

Would the pharmacist let you have the three months in advance, bearing in mind it is always wise to have some medication in reserve, or would he refuse you more than one month's supply at a time?

If he would refuse more than one month's supply, would your GP give you a prescription for 12 weeks and rescind the unexpired portion of the 6 x 1 monthly prescription held by the pharmacist, refuse to issue a further prescription for 12 weeks, or issue the 12 weeks prescription in addition the the 6 x 1 monthlies?

Since the pharmacist is local, you could presumably drop into his shop and ask his advice on what you should do for this planned 12 week trip? I assume you could also ring the GP's surgery and ask them the same question?

It is not an unreasonable question as, under the circumstances, it would be a sensible precaution to ask before booking the trip. The answers might be interesting, or even revealing.

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-04 6:26 PM

Paul, what would happen if you wanted to go away for 12 weeks, which should be just less than three calendar months?

Would the pharmacist let you have the three months in advance, bearing in mind it is always wise to have some medication in reserve, or would he refuse you more than one month's supply at a time?

Yes the Pharmacist will dispense a 3 month prescription as long as the GP makes out one single prescription paper with 3 months on it. That is what my GP told me earlier this year that, "the NHS rule only allows 2 months but they (the surgery) will give a 3 months supply"......which, as i mentioned before, i now know is incorrect as both the DoH letter and NHS CCG letter clearly state it as 3 month. There is no mention of 2 month anywhere in either letter.

However, one months medication is never actually one month as the packs contain 112 tablets. I take four a day so that lasts just 28 days. Most people know there is only one month in the entire year with 28 days.....February....so it doesn't take much to figure out that i need to obtain medication before every month end. It also doesn't take much to figure out that, for example, over the first 6 months Jan - Jun 2016 i will have a shortfall of 13 days medication, and over the entire 2016 period would be a shortfall of 29 days.....almost a month!

I spoke to the Pharmacist about this some time back and he told me there's nothing he can do about that as that's how all pharmaceutical companies pack medication......based on a 28 day period. I can't argue with that as he's correct.

If he would refuse more than one month's supply, would your GP give you a prescription for 12 weeks and rescind the unexpired portion of the 6 x 1 monthly prescription held by the pharmacist, refuse to issue a further prescription for 12 weeks, or issue the 12 weeks prescription in addition the the 6 x 1 monthlies?

Since the pharmacist is local, you could presumably drop into his shop and ask his advice on what you should do for this planned 12 week trip? I assume you could also ring the GP's surgery and ask them the same question?

It is not an unreasonable question as, under the circumstances, it would be a sensible precaution to ask before booking the trip. The answers might be interesting, or even revealing.

OK this is what happened earlier this year when i went expecting to draw 4 months as i'd got that amount left. Pharmacist told me a blunt NO......not without the GP's authority. So i return back to my GP who then told me a blunt NO to 4 months as the max the NHS allow is 2 months but we will give 3. Remember the point i made above that the 2 month NHS max my GP quoted is absolute nonsense as i now know it's 3 month (under their Regulations Act 2004 they were so keen to point out to me).

When i returned back to the Pharmacist, those outstanding 4 x 1 month prescriptions he still had remained in his possession and he told me he had to return those back to my GP.

I have actually been to see the Pharmacist this afternoon to clarify the issue of this 'master copy' but worse still he now tells me, "oh i'm glad you've called in as i've found you actually still have another four months of prescriptions i found where i thought you only had one left.....i don't know where they've come from".

I knew immediately where they had come from but kept my mouth shut waiting to see if he remembered why and how. The four monthlies he'd supposedly rescinded earlier this year which he told me would be returned to the GP surgery!

So what has he done? Phoned the damn surgery and told them. Brilliant.

Had he kept his mouth shut i'd have had all my prayers answered but he's gone and scuppered any chance of that now.

Dave C made a very interesting point in what he and his wife used to do re. two 3 month prescriptions but rather than use the same Pharmacist for both, they went to two separate ones. If i can manage to extract that from my GP in place of 6 x 1 monthlies, then i intend to do exactly the same as Dave C. One thing for sure.....i won't be using the village Pharmacy any longer than i have to. I need to break away from him asap.

Bulletguy - 2015-12-04 10:14 PM

Dave C made a very interesting point in what he and his wife used to do re. two 3 month prescriptions but rather than use the same Pharmacist for both, they went to two separate ones. If i can manage to extract that from my GP in place of 6 x 1 monthlies, then i intend to do exactly the same as Dave C. One thing for sure.....i won't be using the village Pharmacy any longer than i have to. I need to break away from him asap.

Yes I saw that Paul, but although they swapped pharmacists they had prescriptions from the same GP. I assume that would not work for you, as it seems your GP wouldn't issue a second prescription if he thought you still had medication remaining from the previous prescription. The combination of your GP and local pharmacist would seem to exclude that approach. I don't understand why Dave C resorted to dodging around pharmacies, since presenting a three month prescription before the medication from a previous three month prescription might have been used, doesn't seem generally to be a problem.

Our GPs (group practice, we are each formally registered with different GPs - though who you actually get to see of the four in the practice is a lottery :-)) allows us repeat prescriptions for twelve weeks at a time. We explained our travel arrangements to them, and they had no problem with the quantity. The prescriptions go electronically to one pharmacy, from which we collect.

We inevitably found at some point that we would have insufficient medication to cover a particular trip, so asked for a further prescription to give us cover until our return, plus a buffer against the unexpected, and we both got (at different times) further prescriptions for 12 weeks supply. So, we each now have two prescription renewal requests for 12 weeks, which we drop into the surgery as and when we choose. So far no-one has queried a repeat request, even if submitted only a month or so after a previous prescription had been fulfilled. We could, on that basis, probably, extend trips up to five months - although we have not, from choice, exceeded 11 weeks on the trot. The pharmacy is excellent and helpful, and just delivers as the doctor prescribes (apart from the usual professional checks for possible errors/conflicts :-)).

This does not result in wastage, as the particular medications are stable and long dated, and it doesn't result in over-prescription, since all that are supplied are consumed (though not within 12 weeks of being supplied). The cost to the NHS over a year is no more nor less than would be the case if we stayed permanently at home and got prescriptions one month at a time (though the admin cost of issuing only 4 and a bit prescriptions per year must be a bit lower than issuing 13 per year).

It is a liberal, sensible, helpful arrangement, that leaves us to manage the supply of our own medication, while remaining within what I assume all parties are satisfied, is the spirit of the NHS Regulations (and seems to me not to depart from the letter of them either). It is just such a shame your lot can't bring themselves to be equally liberal, sensible, and helpful in their interpretation of those same regulations. Their way, no-one wins, but you definitely loose. It is so incomprehensibly bloody-minded!

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-05 4:08 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-12-04 10:14 PM

Yes I saw that Paul, but although they swapped pharmacists they had prescriptions from the same GP. I assume that would not work for you, as it seems your GP wouldn't issue a second prescription if he thought you still had medication remaining from the previous prescription. The combination of your GP and local pharmacist would seem to exclude that approach. I don't understand why Dave C resorted to dodging around pharmacies, since presenting a three month prescription before the medication from a previous three month prescription might have been used, doesn't seem generally to be a problem.

Yes there is the possibility he'd refuse to issue 2 x 3mths.....in which case i will ask him the reason why, and i also thought since, even if he does agree it, he may well post date one so i cannot use it until the valid date. I don't know. Given past experience it's simply my mind trying to work ahead of his or figure out what he may do to block it.

I imagine the reason Dave C spread their prescriptions among Pharmacies rather than using the same one was to avoid any possibility of what's happened in my case.....the Pharmacist controlling my movement just as my GP does.

I need to extract myself from the Pharmacy i use as soon as i possibly can....and if i cannot reach a more fluid and reasonable approach from my GP then i will have to move and will have no problem in telling him the reason as well as being perfectly clear with him that i'm going to Dr whatever his name is because he will prescribe me for 4 months.

Our GPs (group practice, we are each formally registered with different GPs - though who you actually get to see of the four in the practice is a lottery :-)) allows us repeat prescriptions for twelve weeks at a time. We explained our travel arrangements to them, and they had no problem with the quantity. The prescriptions go electronically to one pharmacy, from which we collect.

We inevitably found at some point that we would have insufficient medication to cover a particular trip, so asked for a further prescription to give us cover until our return, plus a buffer against the unexpected, and we both got (at different times) further prescriptions for 12 weeks supply.

From your postings i pretty much drew this conclusion. All i can say is you are among the fortunate as that just wouldn't happen at my GP practice. Not only would the GP refuse it....it wouldn't even get past the reception desk.

It's not as though the medication i take is either addictive or dangerous either yet you may remember i posted about a diabetic on insulin who gets her supply in a 6 month batch. She couldn't understand the reason behind my GP's dogged resistance either as she told me, with insulin if you don't know what you are doing, just one weeks dose is enough to kill.

It is just such a shame your lot can't bring themselves to be equally liberal, sensible, and helpful in their interpretation of those same regulations. Their way, no-one wins, but you definitely lose. It is so incomprehensibly bloody-minded!

I agree regards non-wastage etc. The medication i take i've been using now for 58 years. I have to take it so even if i had a stockpile reserve of 12mths it would still be in daily use and the only time it would not get used would be if i drop down dead!

Whilst i understand the reasoning behind the NHS Regulations Act 2004 jargon, in my opinion it hasn't been particularly well thought out at all. There is no leeway being given to allow those on medication to leave the UK for more than 3 months, yet those not on any medication at all are free to come and go as they please. That's extremely discriminatory. I'd like to know the figure for those British citizens in the latter category who have actually been refused NHS treatment due to them being out of the UK for a period longer than 3 month. I don't know of anyone at all and suspect the DoH or NHS wouldn't have a figure either.

The other friends of mine from Scotland who have been in France since the beginning of October, his wife was due to have a knee replacement during the time they are away, so her GP contacted the hospital to get her operation rescheduled for when they return after March 2016. So that NHS hospital know she has been out of the UK longer than 3 months.......but hasn't refused her treatment, and neither has her GP told her to de-register.

If i was you bulletguy id be back to the doctors for another prescription for antacids and anxiety drugs to add to what your already on cos my blood pressures raised and the stomachs churning and its not even happening to me! Bleddy buerocracy (cant spell it) what if you were touring around the coast of britain for a year? Surely the doc would have to give you enough prescriptions to get your drugs at the chemist of your choice?albeit in cornwall or scotland cheers pp:/

i think the problem is NOT with the Doctors, but with the PEN PUSHERS who make these rules. Senior civil servants, who go on "holidays" sorry should have said conferences, paid for by the taxpayer

i also have to plan my holidays around getting prescriptions, but unlike Paul, we don't feel the urge to go away for periods longer than three months, and can work the meds accordingly. So i do have sympathy for his problem. There does not appear to be an answer

PJay

Bulletguy - 2015-12-05 7:34 PM...................................and if i cannot reach a more fluid and reasonable approach from my GP then i will have to move and will have no problem in telling him the reason as well as being perfectly clear with him that i'm going to Dr whatever his name is because he will prescribe me for 4 months.....................

Not sure I'd do that Paul! It just might get reported back, resulting in your new GP being traced via your NI number and being told to modify his prescribing practise - especially if both are under the same CCG. You never know. Just slip away quietly into the night, I think! :-)

Pampam - 2015-12-05 10:10 PM

If i was you bulletguy id be back to the doctors for another prescription for antacids and anxiety drugs to add to what your already on cos my blood pressures raised and the stomachs churning and its not even happening to me! Bleddy buerocracy (cant spell it) what if you were touring around the coast of britain for a year?

Pam

You are not far out there as the past few nights i've spent churning over my next move in my head!

Thursday night.....just 4 hours sleep. Went to bed early on Friday as 1) i was absolutely knackered and 2) meeting up to see my grandchildren Saturday afternoon at 3pm. Woke up with 5.10 showing on the clock, shot out of bed, threw myself in the shower, made a brew whilst texting son to apologise for being late and could we arrange something today....only to switch the tv on and see the time clock on the screen as 0530am *-)

Surely the doc would have to give you enough prescriptions to get your drugs at the chemist of your choice?albeit in cornwall or scotland cheers pp:/

The Pharmacist i use controls all my prescriptions apparently via a 'master copy' making it impossible to use them anywhere else in UK. What happened to 'free trade'.......let alone freedom of movement?

PJay - 2015-12-06 12:39 AM

i think the problem is NOT with the Doctors, but with the PEN PUSHERS who make these rules. Senior civil servants, who go on "holidays" sorry should have said conferences, paid for by the taxpayer

i also have to plan my holidays around getting prescriptions, but unlike Paul, we don't feel the urge to go away for periods longer than three months, and can work the meds accordingly. So i do have sympathy for his problem. There does not appear to be an answer

PJay

As i said in the post to Brian i feel the NHS Regulations Act 2004 which was quoted back to me by the DoH has not been well thought out. It's effectively penalising those on medication whilst giving free reign to those who aren't.

So you are right there, but it's also become obvious to me through other peoples experiences that some GP's give more latitude than others who stick firmly to 'the rules'. As previously mentioned, some friends currently vacating in France for 6 months whose wife was due a knee operation in January.....now rescheduled to April as they aren't back in UK until March end. So both her GP and hospital know she's been out of the UK longer than 3 months. Their GP even knows they no longer have a house (they use a family members address since going fulltime) yet when they told him his response was, "i don't want to know about that".

Not sure of your personal circs PJ but period of time away is purely down to being retired. Prior to that i used to save as much leave as possible from work, build it up and take the lot in one whack which was just under four weeks. So i always looked forward to roaming freely around Europe with unlimited restrictions once retired. I even looked at 'full timing' or selling the house and swanning off to tour the States......but as it turned out both my GP and Pharmacist now have me jumping through hoops to get longer than 3 months.

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-06 4:02 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-12-05 7:34 PM...................................and if i cannot reach a more fluid and reasonable approach from my GP then i will have to move and will have no problem in telling him the reason as well as being perfectly clear with him that i'm going to Dr whatever his name is because he will prescribe me for 4 months.....................

Not sure I'd do that Paul! It just might get reported back, resulting in your new GP being traced via your NI number and being told to modify his prescribing practise - especially if both are under the same CCG. You never know. Just slip away quietly into the night, I think! :-)

Yes i know about that and yes they are both under the same CCG. But even if i say nothing at all to my current GP and ship out to this other guy.....all my medical records would need to be shifted so he would then know the name of the GP i'd gone to.

As much as i would like to "slip away quietly into the night" i can't see a way around that at all. The other part nagging at me is i wouldn't want to make it difficult for my friend and his wife either who have just gone off to Spain with 19 weeks worth of meds courtesy of this GP.

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-06 6:05 PM

Yes, but you apparently have the right to change GP, providing the one you want to move to is taking new patients, so you don't have to be specific if a reason is required. All I meant is just being non-committal over why you are moving.

Yes according to the link http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/doctors/Pages/patient-choice-GP-practices.aspx from January this year i could though i notice there is a proviso for them to refuse, and i'd need absolute 100% assurance from him that he would prescribe me above 3 months before i jump ship.

I've emailed my friend for details as i don't even know their GP's name or the surgery they use.

Bulletguy - 2015-12-06 6:59 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-06 6:05 PM

Yes, but you apparently have the right to change GP, providing the one you want to move to is taking new patients, so you don't have to be specific if a reason is required. All I meant is just being non-committal over why you are moving.

Yes according to the link http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/doctors/Pages/patient-choice-GP-practices.aspx from January this year i could though i notice there is a proviso for them to refuse, and i'd need absolute 100% assurance from him that he would prescribe me above 3 months before i jump ship.

Interesting link, Only thing that would bother me, would be that the new Dr,may not agree on home visits

Not a problem generally, as I don't think many do home visits now, with every one being able to drive to surgery I don't think Paul is particularly OLD, (I say this as you do a lot of travelling), or for that matter in bad health Bear in mind that when you do get OLD, would you have to change back?

One only realises problems (not always thought about) can occur , when age really hits you. We would have to move , should we not be able to drive, as live at the top of a steep hill, with no buses . I guess would have to use taxi, as long as could afford to.

Maybe though, we won't have to visit a Dr, just go on line, and be seen by some robot!! Can now get prescriptions on line, and have to check in at a computer desk, at our surgery

Hope you get some solution soon.

P

...... and i'd need absolute 100% assurance from him that he would prescribe me above 3 months before i jump ship....

So you would want your potentially new GP to assure you (in writing perhaps?) that he/she will give you more than 3 months medication for your holidays, and therefore agree to break the rules for you? Wouldn't that signal to any sensible GP that you are a demanding individual, best avoided as a patient altogether? *-)

Hi, not exactly medication in form of tablets, but in my case I suffer from chronic urine retention and have to use self catheterisation each time to empty out. each use is a one off so I have to have a regular supply and this is supplied monthly direct from the wholesaler? They phone monthly to confirm my requirements and automatically get the required script from my doctor.

so far there has never been any query from my doctor regarding the quantity needed, it averages out at 6 boxes per month, so when I know I am going away, I simply request a supply needed to cover the appropriate duration. this enables me to request a second delivery early to anticipate extra requirements for a longer absence. I can therefore build up a reserve over the 12 month period, and then miss the order for the month of absence.

Hope this makes sense. this arrangement has worked now for past 3 years with no problems.

tonyg3nwl

PJay - 2015-12-06 11:18 PM

Interesting link, Only thing that would bother me, would be that the new Dr,may not agree on home visits

Not a problem generally, as I don't think many do home visits now, with every one being able to drive to surgery I don't think Paul is particularly OLD, (I say this as you do a lot of travelling), or for that matter in bad health Bear in mind that when you do get OLD, would you have to change back?

One only realises problems (not always thought about) can occur , when age really hits you. We would have to move , should we not be able to drive, as live at the top of a steep hill, with no buses . I guess would have to use taxi, as long as could afford to.

Maybe though, we won't have to visit a Dr, just go on line, and be seen by some robot!! Can now get prescriptions on line, and have to check in at a computer desk, at our surgery

Hope you get some solution soon.

Yes you are right they won't do house calls. That said i live about 100 yards from my GP practice and in the 20 years i've been here have called the Doctor out once.......and it turned out to be a locum i'd never seen or heard of before! I could have understood that had it been some unearthly hour in the middle of the night, but it was during daytime in the working week!

As for 'old' it depends on what you see as old i suppose! I've turned 65 but will continue touring as long as i can.......even if restricted.

StuartO - 2015-12-07 8:54 AM

...... and i'd need absolute 100% assurance from him that he would prescribe me above 3 months before i jump ship....

So you would want your potentially new GP to assure you (in writing perhaps?) that he/she will give you more than 3 months medication for your holidays, and therefore agree to break the rules for you? Wouldn't that signal to any sensible GP that you are a demanding individual, best avoided as a patient altogether? *-)

No i'm not expecting a formal written contract, just knowing he'd write a 4 month prescription would be enough. It would be a bit pointless to 'jump ship' without clarifying that first wouldn't it. As for 'break the rules', no i don't expect that either......just a little latitude which as can clearly be seen from other posters comments in this thread is commonplace practice. If that's being "a demanding patient" then so be it.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-12-07 12:03 PM

Hi, not exactly medication in form of tablets, but in my case I suffer from chronic urine retention and have to use self catheterisation each time to empty out. each use is a one off so I have to have a regular supply and this is supplied monthly direct from the wholesaler? They phone monthly to confirm my requirements and automatically get the required script from my doctor.

so far there has never been any query from my doctor regarding the quantity needed, it averages out at 6 boxes per month, so when I know I am going away, I simply request a supply needed to cover the appropriate duration. this enables me to request a second delivery early to anticipate extra requirements for a longer absence. I can therefore build up a reserve over the 12 month period, and then miss the order for the month of absence.

Hope this makes sense. this arrangement has worked now for past 3 years with no problems.

tonyg3nwl

Makes perfect sense to me Tony and glad to see you are being treated as an adult allowed to lead a life unfettered by restrictive practices.

Your posting came through with an excellent QSA!! (lol)

Bulletguy - 2015-12-07 4:27 PM......................

No i'm not expecting a formal written contract, just knowing he'd write a 4 month prescription would be enough. It would be a bit pointless to 'jump ship' without clarifying that first wouldn't it. As for 'break the rules', no i don't expect that either......just a little latitude which as can clearly be seen from other posters comments in this thread is commonplace practice. If that's being "a demanding patient" then so be it.................

Paul, although Stuart was a perhaps little blunt, he does have a point. If you start rocking the boat as soon as you meet the chap, what is he to think?

If your friend is right that his GP doesn't make an issue about prescribing medication for more than three months (which, let's be clear, is breaking the "rules") it would be better, IMO, to take his word for it than to press the GP on the issue.

By all means explain that you have a motorhome and travel away from the UK as your friend (who I assume the GP knows) does, and that you would generally want to have medication to cover trips of about three months, and enquire if he would be happy to prescribe for this. If he says yes, I'd leave it there on a first visit, since he won't at that point know you from Adam. He'll probably want to look at your records, and possibly give you a once over, before he'll commit himself either way. A little later, after you've had a prescription or two, broach the subject of getting a top-up prescription to ensure you still have adequate medication when you return - just in case.

My concern, should you bring up the question of four months directly, would be that he would then "know" your intention, so might feel obliged to respond exactly as your present GP responded. IMO that "latitude" to which you refer is more likely to be achieved by being a little less obvious about what you want. I would imagine that more GP would be willing to issue overlapping prescriptions for 12 weeks of medication, than would sit down and write a single prescription for more than three months - which is an obvious breach should anyone check. I think it needs to be unspoken, so that even if both parties guess what the other is doing, neither has direct knowledge that this is so. If you don't do this, and go in and spill the beans all over the floor, I don't think it will matter how many GPs you approach, all will be liable give you the "party line" - because that is what they are contracted to do.

BG..

Just how expensive are these ruddy tablets?

.. if as you say-

Quote:

"I qualified for an exemption certificate so never had to pay for meds but am over 65 anyway." and if they've been dishing them out to you long term, then no one can say that you haven't had your money's worth.....so just look at bl**dy buying some! *-)

I'd beginning to wonder if you should also be getting some ointment for your stigmata, while you're at it (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-07 5:12 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-12-07 4:27 PM......................

No i'm not expecting a formal written contract, just knowing he'd write a 4 month prescription would be enough. It would be a bit pointless to 'jump ship' without clarifying that first wouldn't it. As for 'break the rules', no i don't expect that either......just a little latitude which as can clearly be seen from other posters comments in this thread is commonplace practice. If that's being "a demanding patient" then so be it.................

Paul, although Stuart was a perhaps little blunt, he does have a point. If you start rocking the boat as soon as you meet the chap, what is he to think?

If your friend is right that his GP doesn't make an issue about prescribing medication for more than three months (which, let's be clear, is breaking the "rules") it would be better, IMO, to take his word for it than to press the GP on the issue.

By all means explain that you have a motorhome and travel away from the UK as your friend (who I assume the GP knows) does, and that you would generally want to have medication to cover trips of about three months, and enquire if he would be happy to prescribe for this. If he says yes, I'd leave it there on a first visit, since he won't at that point know you from Adam. He'll probably want to look at your records, and possibly give you a once over, before he'll commit himself either way. A little later, after you've had a prescription or two, broach the subject of getting a top-up prescription to ensure you still have adequate medication when you return - just in case.

The point i was making and you said this yourself Brian, is it makes little sense to 'jump ship' without first ensuring my friends GP will prescribe. After all, if i do go to see him i'm not going for a check up.....i'm going there with the purpose of discussing prescribing. I think he'd also appreciate i got to the point off the purpose of my visit rather than waste his time waffling about the weather or commenting on the interior decor of his surgery! He prescribes my friend so i don't see there being a problem.

My concern, should you bring up the question of four months directly, would be that he would then "know" your intention, so might feel obliged to respond exactly as your present GP responded. IMO that "latitude" to which you refer is more likely to be achieved by being a little less obvious about what you want. I would imagine that more GP would be willing to issue overlapping prescriptions for 12 weeks of medication, than would sit down and write a single prescription for more than three months - which is an obvious breach should anyone check. I think it needs to be unspoken, so that even if both parties guess what the other is doing, neither has direct knowledge that this is so. If you don't do this, and go in and spill the beans all over the floor, I don't think it will matter how many GPs you approach, all will be liable give you the "party line" - because that is what they are contracted to do.
A single prescription for 3 month isn't a breach of anything though Brian. That's perfectly in accordance to the NHS Regs 2004. Few GP's observe it though....as is plainly obvious for all to see.

pepe63 - 2015-12-07 5:36 PM

BG..

Just how expensive are these ruddy tablets?

.. if as you say-

Quote:

"I qualified for an exemption certificate so never had to pay for meds but am over 65 anyway." and if they've been dishing them out to you long term, then no one can say that you haven't had your money's worth.....so just look at bl**dy buying some! *-)

I'd beginning to wonder if you should also be getting some ointment for your stigmata, while you're at it (lol)

Price is totally irrelevant to be honest. If it was medication for arthritic problems or a chesty cough i'd have no hesitation.....but it's not. The drug is available on the internet and yes, it all 'reads as it should' regards strength and name type, but i cannot be 100% certain that it is what is says it is, ie what the tablet contains, and i'm not sure i'm prepared to take the risk. It's not quite the same as ordering a few books from Amazon.

Incidentally you do realise that despite being exempt prior to age 60 (at which age everyone gets free prescriptions), i paid into the system for 50 years just like anyone else who went out to work. If you gave me the choice of living with what i've had to learn to live with for the past 58 years or not having that to deal with and paying for prescriptions each time i got flu or whatever, then i'd take the latter option every time.

Bulletguy - 2015-12-07 7:29 PM

Price is totally irrelevant to be honest. If it was medication for arthritic problems or a chesty cough i'd have no hesitation.....but it's not. The drug is available on the internet and yes, it all 'reads as it should' regards strength and name type, but i cannot be 100% certain that it is what is says it is, ie what the tablet contains, and i'm not sure i'm prepared to take the risk. It's not quite the same as ordering a few books from Amazon.

Well, if price really is "totally irrelevant" , then have you contacted these yet? https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/travelling-abroad/getting-supplies-anti-epileptic-drugs *

...as surely they'd be able to point you towards a reputable source?

(*again, a link that I posted over a month back)

Archived