Roof only cover OR fully enclosed?

manxli

Hi

I park my Flash 02 on our drive as it's too high for the garage. I live in Switzerland and last year December's snow layer on the roof gradually turned to hard ice and it was very difficult to remove, when I wanted to use the MH.

My question:

Is a 'roof only' cover better or a fully enclosed version.

It gets very foggy and wet in our region too and I would think a full cover would encourage condensation. Also the roof only version might be quicker to dismount (including snow cover) when wishing to use the MH.

Any comments from those with experience? I would construct a car port (MH port) but council planning won't allow it.

Alan

No idea, Alan. However, I have seen a variety of winter covers when in the Alps. Some are a form of canvas that stands on tent like poles about a foot over the van. I know Hindermann do a range of winter covers for vans which are meant to be breathable.

I'm sure I would favour a roof only cover provided there were no hard obstructions. I'm guessing of course but a roof only cover could be pulled to one side to empty half the snow then reversed for the remainder. Depending on the depth and weight.

I'm a little puzzled why you allowed it to remain there so long that it iced up. Is that usual?

Will

Yes, I should have brushed the snow off immediately each time. However, wife had a few spells in hospital and other distractions led to the ice up. Short spells of rain before freezing and snowing again didn't help.

The cover on poles sounds good, as long as the wind doesn't blow it away. I'll search for it.

Alan

Would I be right in thinking that just covering the roof would not stop a layer of ice building up under similar conditions and be just as difficult to remove.

Dependent on how windy it gets in your area, consider a very light timber framework on the roof to support the sort of polytunnel used in horticulture. It could be easily dismantled for the summer and store in quite a small space.

Archived