Door replacement

richardds

My Autocruise has a single door and I would like to change it for a stable door with a window. Does anyone have any experience in changing doors and frames?

Is it a DIY job for an average spanner man?

I see plenty of suitable doors on e-bay and other sources which seem to be what I am after with the right hinge side and dimensions. I have tried youtube but nothing useful comes up.

The stable doors you are talking about are usually found on older motor caravans and Caravans, they are not very secure as the top section is only held by a turnbuckle to the lower section, unless you add an extra bolt, as I did.The more modern 'Hartal' type doors are one piece , although sometimes with a window glass.And much more secure.Make sure you measure at least twice, but it will probably be a standard size. A DIY job for the winter, on a fine day.

richardds - 2015-10-26 6:32 PM

My Autocruise has a single door and I would like to change it for a stable door with a window. Does anyone have any experience in changing doors and frames?

Is it a DIY job for an average spanner man?

I see plenty of suitable doors on e-bay and other sources which seem to be what I am after with the right hinge side and dimensions. I have tried youtube but nothing useful comes up.

Surely if you change the door, the paint work will not match?

Also as has been stated, a door in two parts easier to break into?

And having a window in door, (though very nice) easier break in, as could then break glass, and open lock from inside.

I would stick with what you have got, and if you do change the door arrangement, don't forget to inform your insurance, as would have made IMO a significant change to van

PJay

richardds - 2015-10-26 6:32 PM

...Is it a DIY job for an average spanner man?...

No it is not.

It is difficult enough for professionals to install a new entrance door in a coachbuilt motorhome on an exact like-for-like basis and obtain a satisfactory fit, let alone attempt to insert a different design of door and matching frame.

Although it might not be too difficult adding a window to your Stargazer's (?) present door if this is a simple flat one, and it MIGHT be practicable to convert your one-piece door into the stable-door type, I believe that planning to insert a replacement door and frame would just be asking for trouble.

In two words - Forget it.

Archived