safety drainage valve on burstner

george1954

Hi everyone,hope someone can help, I have a burstner t615 year 05, after a recent trip away i drained the safety/drainage valve of the boiler there was only about 2 ltrs of water, the manual says there should be [ approx 12.5 ltrs] when the[ boiler trumatic c] is completely drained,when i had the water tap on hot there was always an air lock for about 30 seconds even if i tried again after 5 mins,the cold was ok, also when i tried to heat the water on summer operation 40 or 60 c the red light came on [fault] there was always plenty of water in the fresh water tank, i have the push and pull switch on the drainage valve secured as it drains when the temp falls below 8c, hope this makes sense, regards george.

Hi the red light coming on is an indication of ignition failure, not a water problem. The dump valve should stay closed until the temperature drops to 2 degrees, but once tipped because of low temperature will not reset below about 8 degrees. I think the other problem is possible an air lock in the system.

Brian B.

George

A Trumatic C-series combination heater’s water-reservoir has a 12litre capacity. If the reservoir was full initially, but only some 2 litres of water emerged when the safety/drain-valve was opened then, logically, 10 litres of water has been lost from the heater somehow.

The side of the water-reservoir has a cold-water inlet near the base and a hot-water outlet near the top. It’s hard to see how 10 litres of water could be lost through the hot-water outlet and, if the water were being lost through the cold-water inlet (or through a fracture in the reservoir itself) I’d expect you to have noticed the leak. A leak in the water hose between heater and the safety/drain valve could cause that much water to be lost over time, but again you would have probably noticed this.

This leaves the possibilities of either the safety/drain valve leaking or water from the heater siphoning back into the motorhome’s fresh-water tank. A leaking drain-valve SHOULD be noticeable (water dripping from beneath the vehicle) but siphoning won’t necessarily be detected.

This type of water system will not ‘air lock’ as such, but your observation that “...when I had the water tap on hot there was always an air lock for about 30 seconds even if i tried again after 5 mins...” suggests that water is siphoning back from the heater into the fresh-water tank causing air to enter the heater’s water-reservoir through the breather-valve on the reservoir’s hot-water outlet. This tallies with your description as, if air enters the upper part of the reservoir, when you next turn on a hot tap there will be a delay before the motorhome’s water pump can refill the reservoir and allow water to come from the tap.

The siphoning theory is predicated on your Burstner having a ‘submersible’ water pump (ie. the pump is in the fresh-water tank itself). If that’s the case there will be a non-return valve in the water-hose close to the pump or attached to (or integrated in) the pump itself and, if siphoning is occurring, that valve (or the pump) will need replacing.

Regarding the red ‘fault’ light coming on when water heating is selected, the Truma Operating Instructions for your heater will advise on possible causes. Trumatic C-series heaters can be safely operated empty of water, so (as Brian B says) the light problem and water loss problem are unlikely to be related.

Archived