2001 ducato gearbox propblems

PetePowell

We have a 2001 Fiat Ducato 1.9 Diesel camper van with serious gearbox issues. It has only done 20000 miles but is now grating when selecting 2nd or 4th gears. It has had numerous oil changes, which all show signs of water in the gearbox. Does anyone have any ideas or better still know anyone who can sort the problem ?

Pete in Leicester

The very bad news is they had this problem with poor underbonnet drainage allowing water to get into the gearbox from new.

A replacement box from a breakers or an overhauled unit is your best bet. If the existing unit is stripped there is a fair chance gears, bearings and even the casing is corroded.

Commiserations

Pete,

We are in Leicester and would generally farm out gearbox work to a firm that we trust and have used for a long time. Try;

Big John's Auto Centre

0116 251 9700

John is very helpful and as honest as the day is long; Simon is his chief mechanic and knows his stuff. There may be some issues with getting parts now but if anyone can sort this out, they can.

Nick

PetePowell - 2015-10-30 10:10 AM

Thanks Statwart, I shall give him a ring and let you know how we get on

Hi Pete

Just to let you know, the name of the poster is euroserve in blue above. Nick Fisher of Euroserve , who is a very helpful poster on this forum, as motorhomes are his job

Good luck with your gear box problem, hope you get it sorted. 20, 000 miles is very low mileage for a 14 year old van, so not had a lot of use.

PJay

Strip and lube the gearchange linkeage on the gearbox just in case it is dragging into gear.

The proper oil in the gearbox is important, thinner oil meant my box slipped easily into 5th gear with no problems, previously it crunched and sometimes did not engage properly.

My oil level is high, proper level and a half litre extra after level plug put back in.

First thing i would do is empty oil, put thinner oil in and see if it cures the problem.

PJay - 2015-10-30 11:38 AM

PetePowell - 2015-10-30 10:10 AM

Thanks Statwart, I shall give him a ring and let you know how we get on

Hi Pete

Just to let you know, the name of the poster is euroserve in blue above. Nick Fisher of Euroserve , who is a very helpful poster on this forum, as motorhomes are his job

Good luck with your gear box problem, hope you get it sorted. 20, 000 miles is very low mileage for a 14 year old van, so not had a lot of use.

PJay

Err not quite.

Euroserv is Nick Fisher's name on this forum.

Nick's business is Euro Truck Hire and he is based in Leicester but has little to do with motorhomes other than he helps us resolve problems with them and from time to time is able to service or carry out repairs when his guys have a bit of spare time.

Because some of his fleet of hire vehicles are Ducatos many of which cover astronomical miles, that means that he generally has to rectify most things that can wrong long before we do.

Nick's experience, support and contributions on here are legendary!

When I had a similar gearbox water ingress a few years ago I simply extended the windscreen drainage tube so that it exited the rainwater below the gearbox and not all over it. The oil never needed changing again as water no longer entered the gearbox or splashed all over the gear linkage.

At the same time and at Nick's suggestion I lubricated the gearbox linkage and de-rusted the gear change shafts where they enter the gearbox which restored the gearchange to as sweet as it could be given the diabolically complicated assortment of rods and cables that it is.

HI

As a matter of reference. does any of the foregoing apply to the later ones?.

I have a 2007 Rapido with a 6 speed box, which has just been overhauled after the loss of 6th gear. Happily in our case under warranty. and now has a re-con box with new Clutch and Release Bearing assembly too.

David Fullers, have so far been exemplary in their dealings, and have warranted the repair for a further 12 months in writing..

Pete

Archived