Road noise

Malo37

I believe Malo37’s motorhome is a Burstner “ Aero Van”.

This coachbuilt model was built on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis and first exhibited at the 2007 Dusseldorf show. It was marketed for several years, but I’ve no idea how old Malo37’s vehicle is. An example is shown here

http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/burstner/aero-van/t700/1360/

As Colin says, new tyres nowadays carry a label that includes an external noise datum

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/future-tyre-labelling

However, this figure indicates the noise a tyre makes when measured from outside the vehicle and does not necessarily translate to the tyre-noise heard within the vehicle itself. Nevertheless, the lower the dB rating on a tyre’s label, the less the noise should be that finds its way into the vehicle’s interior.

All I can suggest is to repeat Colin’s advice and search on-line for tyres matching the size and specification of the motorhome’s present tyres and then check the dB figures. Purely as an example

http://tinyurl.com/pv9dgnk

In principle, choosing a tyre with (say) 70dB on its label OUGHT to reduce the in-cab tyre-noise if Malo37’s current tyres were (say) 75dB labelled, but I’m very doubtful that excessive road-noise at motorway cruising speed would be magically silenced by a tyre change. My experience is that when tyre-noise is a major irritant in a vehicle there’s not a huge amount one can do to reduce this.

(It would be useful to know what tyres are currently fitted to Malo37’s motorhome, just in case they are generally recognised for generating a lot of road noise.)

Guest Peter James

What makes you think its tyre noise?

Have you tried coasting with the engine switched off to see if it makes a difference - just remember to switch the ignition straight back on again after switching the engine off so the steering lock doesn't kick in.

Difficult to say without hearing it but you can't expect a coachbuilt van to be anywhere near as quiet as a car at high speed.

Peter James - 2015-10-30 2:47 PM

Have you tried coasting with the engine switched off to see if it makes a difference - just remember to switch the ignition straight back on again after switching the engine off so the steering lock doesn't kick in.

OMG!

DO NOT DO THIS!

MOVING VEHICLE, NO STEERING AND NO BRAKES!

CAN ANYONE ELSE SEE THAT THIS IS POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS?

Our 2013 AutoSleeper Bourton coachbuilt on the Merc Sprinter suffered badly from front tyre noise. I put it down to the Sprinter lower door panels seeming to be no thicker than biscuit-tin grade metal and therefore letting the sound through. Even when washing down the outside with a hose-pipe the sound level would rise markedly when these were sprayed.

Incidentally, I changed twice to lower sound grade tyres but it made little difference.

euroserv - 2015-10-30 2:52 PM

OMG!

DO NOT DO THIS!

Yes...and *hopefully so can the OP! 8-)

( *and especially as this "tyre noise" is reportedly at "motorway cruising speeds" *-) ).

I changed my Michelin Camping tyres the old model to Michelin Agilis tyres and the change wasn't short of amazing, travelling on the southern section of the M25, ( concrete section) you couldn't hear yourself think!

after fitting the Agilis tyres normal service was resumed :-D

radio could be turned down and normal conversation was possible, it made driving a pleasure once again,

so its absolutely worth considering changing your tyres to a quieter type,

I've only used 3 brands/models of tyres on my vans but that has been enough to suggest to me that the tyre manufacturers' noise figures should not be used as an aid to selecting a quiet tyre.

I'm sure that the ISO (or whatever) tyre noise test will specify some standardised form of road surface but it appears to be unrelated to what we encounter in the real world. Of the 3 above-mentioned tyres the one carrying the noisiest test result has been the quietest by far in use.

I can't speak for Mercs but on Sevel vans a good thick layer of quality carpet underlay on all of the floor, including under all the lockers and firmly glued to all exposed metal like the wheel arches certainly helps, and it also keeps the van floor warmer when covered by a layer of fitted carpet.

Not so easy to sweep out so if you are messy campers or prefer hard floor coverings then it may not be for you, in which case a layer or two of laminate type underlay covered with vinyl might help, although being carpet lovers I've never tried this?

Possibly some thick layers of spray on car body underseal on the outside of the wheel arches and maybe the underfloor around sound transmission points like suspension mounts etc might help, but again although I found this helped on an old car some years back I have no experience of underfloor underseal on a motorhome but anything that reduces resonance and drumming and seals any tiny holes can't make it any worse?

It is debateable whether the gas drop down holes in the van floor have any real value but I would not block them and instead would consider the fitting of baffle plates over the underside of the gas vent holes to try and divert sound ingess?

Making sure that all doors and windows shut firmly all the way around against their rubber surrounds can also help.

Every little helps!

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2015-10-30 4:12 PM

OMG!

DO NOT DO THIS!

( *and especially as this "tyre noise" is reportedly at "motorway cruising speeds" *-) ).

The first lorry I drove had no power assisted steering and 6 tons on the steering axle. Now you lose the power assistance on a 2 ton axle - at speed so its easy enough to turn anyway, and you call that having 'NO STEERING' *-)

Rather than get involved in pointless debates about the wisdom of switching off the engine at any speed, why not provide an alternative?

Simply take your foot off the throttle and dip the clutch to reduce engine noise whilst retaining full control, and whilst doing so and assuming it is safe, try weaving the van a bit to see if there is any wheel bearing noise.

Did you test drive it before buying, and if so was it noisy at speed or has it only just become noisy?

Peter James - 2015-10-30 6:15 PM

OMG!

DO NOT DO THIS!

The first lorry I drove had no power assisted steering and 6 tons on the steering axle. Now you lose the power assistance on a 2 ton axle - at speed so its easy enough to turn anyway, and you call that having 'NO STEERING' *-)

Don't keep digging. It is the daftest suggestion I've read on this Board and that's saying something.

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2015-10-31 8:37 AM

OMG!

DO NOT DO THIS!

Don't keep digging. It is the daftest suggestion I've read on this Board and that's saying something.

'NO STEERING AND NO BRAKES! ' is still wrong even though it was your hero who said it. (He was wrong about the fuel filter too, blaming FIAT for his damaging plastic filter housings by putting them in a vice)

But I can see how someone might think that if they have never driven an old vehicle without power steering and tried to turn the wheel when the vehicle is stationary. They may not realise it gets much easier when the vehicle starts moving, at motorway speeds you wouldn't even notice the power steering isn't working. If the loss of power steering really meant NO STEERING there would be a lot more accidents!

'NO BRAKES' is wrong too. The pedal might need a bit more pressure, thats all.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2015-10-30 6:46 PM

Rather than get involved in pointless debates about the wisdom of switching off the engine at any speed, why not provide an alternative?

Simply take your foot off the throttle and dip the clutch to reduce engine noise whilst retaining full control, and whilst doing so and assuming it is safe, try weaving the van a bit to see if there is any wheel bearing noise.

Did you test drive it before buying, and if so was it noisy at speed or has it only just become noisy?

Wheel bearing noise can be very difficult to pinpoint - even without the noise of the engine still running. I have a way of finding it but by the tone of the last few posts would probably start world war 3 by posting it on here *-)

Peter James - 2015-10-31 9:08 AM

Mike88 - 2015-10-31 8:37 AM

OMG!

DO NOT DO THIS!

it was your hero who said it.

He's not my hero but I would rather listen to his advice than yours. Imagine if you had a crash while you were distracted and your explanation to the insurance company stated that you were only testing road noise by switching off the ignition while on the move. What do you think they would say?

You do it by all means (if you really think that is appropriate which I don't) but to advise others to switch off the ignition while on the move is totally irresponsible.

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2015-10-31 9:30 AM

Imagine if you had a crash while you were distracted .

What would you be distracted by?

All I was suggesting was turning the ignition key off and on to stop the engine and coast. But if that is beyond your capabilities I suggest you don't do it.

Peter James - 2015-10-31 9:37 AM

Mike88 - 2015-10-31 9:30 AM

Imagine if you had a crash while you were distracted .

What would you be distracted by?

All I was suggesting was turning the ignition key off and on to stop the engine and coast. But if that is beyond your capabilities I suggest you don't do it.

It is not beyond my capabilities but my common sense barometer informs me it is a ridiculous thing to do. Let's see what others think?

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2015-10-31 9:44 AM

It is not beyond my capabilities but my common sense barometer informs me it is a ridiculous thing to do. Let's see what others think?

Do you have any alternative suggestions for tracing the source of the noise?

Tracker - 2015-10-30 5:14 PM

lennyhb - 2015-10-30 4:53 PM

My A Class van is quieter than my car at 70, don't need to raise voices or turn the radio up.

Time for a new car then !!!!!

Yer, it's 3 years old boss won't let me buy a new one , have to do what I did last time, told her after I had brought it. :-D

Seriously, if you have not driven an A Class it is surprising how quiet they are.

Archived