Converting Status TV antenna?

Two-Six

Hi folks,

I have one of these: Its a Status 530.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b570/ComputerDOC1/Status_zpsosqq3aqm.jpg

I would like to convert this antenna to a directional WiFi antenna as I never watch TV. I think its for the old analogue TV signals so it isn't good with digital TV these days anyhow.

So I am thinking a yagi array inside it would be good.

Also, I am thinking about getting one of those WiFi, 3G 4G 12v routers, not sure exactly what to get for this so far....

To go with the router, I would like to fit a 3G and a 4g antenna on top of it....

Any thoughts on this people?

Can't help with wifi but I suspect that your Status aerial is for both digital and analogue TV but no doubt a quick check on their website would clarify it for you?

I would not be enthusiastic about trying to make a different device fit in an existing hole unless it were the exact same size, or larger, and what are the chances of that?

Also when you come to sell the van the lack of a TV aerial might not help as almost everyone else seems to want TV these days?

Yes, its supposed to be for digital. It was made in about 2001 and digital TV was rolled out in 1998. So it might be. However we have tried it and its terrible, unusable.

I was thinking about not actually replacing the head/cover but putting a Wi-Fi antenna inside it keeping it as much as possible as it is. Then fitting the 3G/4G antennas drilled through the top.

Don't most people who like TV have satellite systems these days?

I disagree with the above poster, we use our 2012 version (looks exactly the same as the Op's) all the time for Digital TV reception, and we find it fine, for all terrestrial TV. On sites that have reception of course.

Most of the others (Certainly the CC,anyway) have a 'piped' system to the EHU bollards.

Can't comment on the Wi Fi aspect, as I would rather be without a Phone or Computer signal when away.

But the missus must have her TV. And No, I cannot be bothered with satellite, either terrestrial or nought !

Excellent, some very helpful posts!

I think this project should be doo-able. It will make this antenna much more useful. The fact that it extends and rotates really lends itself to being a directional Wi-Fi antenna.

So Rayjsj, you disagree with me that my TV aerial is crap? ;-)

Yours is nearly 10 years more modern than mine, so perhaps they have worked out how to make them work with DVB by the time they made yours. "Lucky" you!

Also you can get digital TV in Europe, its the same technology as we have here. They pump out the same mindless idiotic rubbish and propaganda that we do.

I really HATE TV, I am allergic to it, it makes me upset, angry, depressed and demoralised.

That's what its there for.

Mass mind control, TV is a huge global psy-op.

You are really better off without it..honest

Archived