cooking equipment etc

Lizzie

As I'm the chef, gardener, driver, waitress etc we have a complete different set of most things so we can be off in minutes without wondering what's missing. (except for perishables) The travelling pans are cheap, almost throw away types but they work in small spaces.

We look at it all as 'camping on wheels' with nothing fancy as it adds to the experience.

Will

We also try to duplicate frequently used items so we don't have to spend time packing or unpacking the van with every item we need. The pans we use now (after trying a variety of others) are the Tefal Ingenious set with detachable handle. They are very good quality non stick pans which stack inside each other saving space too.we also bought ours in a French hyper market and you can add to the set as there are many different sizes of pans, lids etc.

David

Tracker - 2015-11-01 4:30 PM

Colin Leake - 2015-10-31 7:45 PM

If you happen to have a microwave fitted a plastic microwave saucepan is will worth having. My wife makes great use of hers.

We find that a chocolate kettle works as well as a plastic saucepan on gas - so unless you are a 100% slave to the umbilical cord - sorry Colin but most of us will need metal pans too!

I was not suggesting that you would need nothing else simply suggesting that if you have a microwave a suitable saucepan would be useful. In the summer I tend to cook the meat on the BBQ often cooking two days worth to eat hot on the,first day and cold on the next. Wife cooks spuds in microwave either boiled in the saucepan or simply in their jackets adds a salad and that's it job done. If it's cold she may do some veggy in a metal saucepan (all in one pan).

At the risk of opening a whole new can of worms (no we don't cook worms they are best eaten fresh and live) in the spring and autum we also take a slow cooker. Set it going before we go out to enable us to return to a hot meal. Does need a bit of experimentation to get the best out of it. Use as little water as possible as unlike a casserole all the water is retained in the pot and use a bit of cornflour as a thickening agent.

Archived