water ingress 1998 elddis

rocker1

Can anyone who has possibly had the same motorhome advise, 1998 elddis autostratus ek se.

I have replace loads of rotten batons inside changed soden wallboards.

removed, cleaned and resealed all the roof furniture and rails with sikaflex.Unfortunatly still getting wet inside.

I have spent hours on the roof looking for problem areas with no joy.It seems to be coming in around the areas where the brass type rail holds the roof to the sides of the van.

I understand that it could be coming in and tracking but has anyone ever had the same model van with the same problem.

please please please advice needed.

You seem to have done everything right?

The Water usually travels down the screws that pull the trim/panels together.

It is advisable to inject non setting mastic into each screw hole, not just along the rail as most books advise.

An additional blob of mastic on each screw before they are fitted is also a good idea.

We aim to get a blob of Mastic oozing out of each screw hole as the screw is turned home, not just from between the panels/rail.

We use HODGSON SEAMSEAL CV because although it is low cost it is a high performer. It is less than half the price of 512.

Because it doesn't cost the Earth there is less reluctance to use it liberally. It should really ooze out of the joints/Screw holes, which is the key to Waterproofing a van.

rocker1 - 2015-11-01 9:05 PM

Can anyone who has possibly had the same motorhome advise, 1998 elddis autostratus ek se.

I have replace loads of rotten batons inside changed soden wallboards.

removed, cleaned and resealed all the roof furniture and rails with sikaflex.Unfortunatly still getting wet inside.

I have spent hours on the roof looking for problem areas with no joy.It seems to be coming in around the areas where the brass type rail holds the roof to the sides of the van.

I understand that it could be coming in and tracking but has anyone ever had the same model van with the same problem.

please please please advice needed.

Could you post pictures of the areas, and rail, concerned? It may help identification and suggestions.

Thanks for the replies.

I have completly covered screw heads on foof rails with sealant out of desperation.

given when I fastened the side rsils on there were a couple of areas where screws wouldn't take, but i used so much sealant behind the rails I would be surprised if the water was getting in there.

Not sure how to upload photo's.

I posted in the hope that I cant be the only elddis owner with this issue.

There are no gaps what so ever between trims.

Got to be coming in somewhere I suppose!!!

rocker1 - 2015-11-02 6:30 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have completly covered screw heads on foof rails with sealant out of desperation.

given when I fastened the side rsils on there were a couple of areas where screws wouldn't take, but i used so much sealant behind the rails I would be surprised if the water was getting in there.

Not sure how to upload photo's.

I posted in the hope that I cant be the only elddis owner with this issue.

There are no gaps what so ever between trims.

Got to be coming in somewhere I suppose!!!

Hi..

Is this "ingress" happening whilst it's just sitting? ..if so, is water pooling around a specific area? ( a seam or vent?) or does it appear to getting "driven in", whilst travelling?

It may be worth temporarily running some waterproof tape over any "suspect" mouldings, seams, vent frames (one area at a time?) so as to try to pin down where it's coming in... ?

I have an Auto homes, similar to yours. Just completed a sealing repair as you. my mistake last time was not ensuring I used stainless steel screws. When I came to remove older screws, it was just the heads that came off.

You are not alone. Just do an internet search damp repairs.

I have had the same problem with my 1998 elddis. Over the last two years I've had water coming in at the front of the van from the top rail. Next was the wall in the toilet and lastly from the roof above the sink area. After stripping out the interior of the van to repair the damage, I used a garden hose to soak the van so that I could see where the water was getting in. I have also resealed the rails, Windows and the roof, I also applied a couple of coats of paint to the roof after sealing to provide an additional barrier. Although the van now seems dry, it is still a concern and takes some of the enjoyment out of the van.

Thanks again for replies.

I have changed screws for stainless

I wouldn't be sure if it gets wet when driving as I havent long done the original repairs .I have at this moment in time put the motorhome on ramps to stop water collecting on roof.I think next plan of attack will be to cover sections at a time.

If anyone id passing through Aberystwyth and would like to take a look, feel free.

I will keep posting on progress, though I may have to cover for winter to allow to dry out

Archived