Spanish gas bottle

motorhomeninja

We are going to Spain in December for a couple of months, first time. Usually we go to France but hoping to have a warmish winter. My question is; can I buy a Spanish butane bottle in Spain without being a resident? I intend to take one full BP gaslite and a jumbo adapter with pigtail ready to accept a Spanish bottle, the van will take 2*13kg bottles.

Thanks, Graham.

My first posting seems to have disappeared! Yes, easily, go to a flea market where you'll pick up a Repsol bottle for around 10E. This can then be exchanged with no problems at any outlet, filling stations, campsites or the "gas man", this is a truck that delivers gas to homes and more importantly "free" camps!

We initially had difficulties purchasing a Spanish bottle until we stayed at a very large campsite in the Benidorm area. The gas demand at the campsite was huge with a gas lorry arriving every day. No questions were asked about a residential address, in fact I think we just put down the campsite address. The campsite did have a lot of residential homes.

We have the Repsol bottle and go for the propane rather than the butane gas. Up in the mountains it can get quite cold so the propane suits us better.

We purchased the Repsol bottle some years ago so perhaps others may have more up to date info.

Guest pelmetman

We bought our bottle of the gas man, that visited the campsite on a almost daily basis a few years ago, no premium and no paperwork, bought a regulator and length of pipe from a local hardware store ;-) ..........

Well cheap gas delivered to our pitch, whats not to like? B-) ...............

If you have an external barbi point on your van , you can connect a gas bottle with the correct regulator to this and put gas into your system . just shut your existing bottles off in your gas locker and draw gas from the free standing bottle thus connected Simples.

Repsol and cepsa gas suppliers have offices in most towns in Spain, all you need is a campsite address and they will supply you with a free contract and you can then purchase from a garage. As previously stated,propane is a must, we had a major fridge freezer problem using Butane.Happy touring fesspark

The last advice re only propane is misleading, you will certainly get propane, should you want it in the north. However in the south ie Costa del Sol etc you'll find it much harder if not impossible to get propane. You can distinguish propane by a black circle around the bottle, and you can exchange one for the other with no issues.

starvin marvin - 2015-11-03 5:20 PM

My first posting seems to have disappeared! Yes, easily, go to a flea market where you'll pick up a Repsol bottle for around 10E. This can then be exchanged with no problems at any outlet, filling stations, campsites or the "gas man", this is a truck that delivers gas to homes and more importantly "free" camps!

for "camps" read parking.

keninpalamos - 2015-11-05 12:51 PM

starvin marvin - 2015-11-03 5:20 PM

for "camps" read parking.

I consider that whenever our van is stationary it is parked. Sometimes it's parked on a motorway, or a campsite, or an aire, or a street, or a free camp.

Whatever you call it, free camp, or free parking, either way the "gas man" still visits. Simples

keninpalamos - 2015-11-06 3:49 PM

On a camp site you are camping, On a aire, service area, a street, road, car park, you are parked, on a motorway you have broken down and the gas man does not cometh simple

I don't think being parked on a motorway (service area) is broken down. However, you can call it what you like, you would be generally wrong.

Me thinks you're being deliberately literal in your take on this, and clearly trying to hijack the thread into one on campsites v's aires or similar. I will not indulge you, end of correspondence, goodbye. Simples

To say that ' it is hard, if not impossible to get propane gas in the Costa del Sol' is incorrect. I have been buying propane at my winter campsite here in Torre del Mar for the last 8 years. (The last bottle bought was last Friday).

As said, campsites have a weekly delivery of gas and you simply buy a bottle, which at the moment costs 23 euros plus 11.30 euros for the gas. (Thereafter you just pay for the gas each time you exchange a bottle). At the end of the season I hand a bottle back to the delivery man who gives me a reciept for it. When I return in the autumn I exchange the receipt for another bottle.

John

Archived