newbie saying hello and help please

elaine54

What facilities might you want that you can't get in an Aire??

Well I really can't think of many apart from things like:

Swimming pools, play parks for the kids, loads of hot water, proper showers, drains you don't have to empty, bogs full of crap you don't have to lug about, washing machines, peace and quiet, assured safety and security, boules pitches, chip vans, electricity, nice views, plenty of space, bread deliveries in the morning, lighting at night.

Apart from those things, not much really.

But yeah, whatever.

Hello to you youngsters, from a 77 oldie

I wonder if you are genuinely afraid, or just lacking confidence of driving on the wrong side of road..dont be , it is easy over there because the roads are so much quieter than in uk.

Overnight stopovers in form of Aires, Municipal Campsites, ACSI sites, Camping Cheque sites, France Passion sites, Camping ALa Ferme sites, are to be found scattered all over France, as well as Commercial sites listed in Caravan Club, And CCC sites lists.

popular areas of france such as Dordogne, Vendee, and med coast, all have many site options, with many of the recepion area of each having multilingual receptionists, so no real need to worry about being multilingual, but it helps if you try.

we are hoping to cross over via poole or portsmouth towards end of May next year, planning to head for the med coast once again, weather and health permitting.

insurance is essential, and we expect to use Caravan Club to make travel arrangements once again..if you are members, it is worth getting a quote.

Come and join us, be adventurous, enjoy the motorhome,

bon voyage,

tonyg3nwl

Two-Six - 2015-11-04 8:37 PM

Swimming pools, play parks for the kids, loads of hot water, proper showers, drains you don't have to empty, bogs full of crap you don't have to lug about, washing machines, peace and quiet, assured safety and security, boules pitches, chip vans, electricity, nice views, plenty of space, bread deliveries in the morning, lighting at night.

On the other hand.

Many of us do not want swimming pools, play parks, noisy kids, showers and loos you have to walk to at night or when wet when we have our own clean, warm and comfortable ones, laundry rooms - how quaint, percieved but often dubious security, chip vans - do you really come to France for chips - how quaint, electricity - why faff about with an umbilical cord when everything we need works on 12 volt or gas, nice views - yeah right - try some Aires or wild camping if you realy want spectacular views, plenty of space - if you are lucky - same on many aires - but who needs space to park a van if you are out exploring the real France all day not the sanitised camp site version, bread deliveries - with a bakery in every town and village with shops selling a wide range of lovelies - why would you - unless afraid to venture out into the real world, lighting at night when we pull our blinds to shut out the light?

I'm not knocking campsites - just adding balance - each to their own.

The whole point is that, as with so many aspects in life, there is no right or wrong way - just different - why are you unable to accept that?

Tracker - 2015-11-04 9:00 PM

Two-Six - 2015-11-04 8:37 PM

On the other hand.

Many of us do not want swimming pools, play parks, noisy kids, showers and loos you have to walk to at night or when wet when we have our own clean, warm and comfortable ones,

I too would never stay on a site where the camp rules state that you have to walk to showers and loos at night, or when wet, when we have our own clean warm and comfortable ones.

:-|

Hello Ealne :-D have you ever thought of going into Germany ? touring the Mosel is ideal for people who cant get about much, just about every village (slight exaggeration ) :-D has a Stalplatz (Aire) they are very relaxing places beside the river where the boats and barges go up and down all day long, you can get on a boat and cruise along the river stopping at a number of places where you can explore.

We have had quite a few holidays in ~France but most of the time we end up in Germany. A good guide is the Bord Atlas which can be bought from Vicarious books , although it is in German it is very easy to understand by the symbols and it has SatNav co-ordinates which is very helpful

Dont worry about not speaking the language when abroad, as long as you know how to Greet/Thank people know a few things, in my diary I have written down (don't laugh) :$ how to count up to 10 ( I wont need any more than that of anything) in both French and German and the names of things like the necessities Bread/Milk/buns (lol) (lol) So you can see you aren't the only one that struggles!! we have been going for about 9 years now and still haven't learnt much !! but as long as you make a bit of an effort most people are very helpful.

Archived