Eurotunnel migrants?

hallii

Just a thought if anyone does by accident bring a few migrants back why not get in touch with me. I'm sure I could put you in touch with a few local farmers round us in Kent who would be happy to take them off your hands as it were. Win win situation you get rid of them, they get a job and some form of basic accommodation and farmer gets labour he needs.

Colin Leake - 2016-01-22 2:26 PM

Just a thought if anyone does by accident bring a few migrants back why not get in touch with me. I'm sure I could put you in touch with a few local farmers round us in Kent who would be happy to take them off your hands as it were. Win win situation you get rid of them, they get a job and some form of basic accommodation and farmer gets labour he needs.

Or on the other hand Colin, £2,000 fine if caught. Don't think you will be getting many calls. :-D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
hallii - 2016-01-22 3:28 PM

Just to quell any misunderstanding, mine is only 6m long, just about average really :-S

H

No need to be embarrassed Halli ;-) .............Horace is less than 6mtrs 8-) ............

Its not about how long it is..... its what you do with it that counts :D...........

Things do seem to have taken a turn for the worse since this post was started, perhaps time to revisit it.

I also have just booked to go on the Euro Tunnel as main reason is the wife and sea sickness, but I am getting concerned by the ever increasing amount of bad news reports on the migrant crisis at the ports. 

Guest pelmetman
aka4ajax - 2016-01-24 2:10 PMThings do seem to have taken a turn for the worse since this post was started, perhaps time to revisit it.

I also have just booked to go on the Euro Tunnel as main reason is the wife and sea sickness, but I am getting concerned by the ever increasing amount of bad news reports on the migrant crisis at the ports. 
On the way out should not be an issue ;-) .............We only booked one way, and will decide nearer the time for our return trip :-| .............

Peter,

You are spot on about things happening in the front cameras...!

I have lived in N Ireland throughout the "troubles" and it is public knowledge here that riots were regularly organised (and sometimes paid for!!) to suit media time slots.

A particular hotspot in Belfast was the area around the Europa Hotel (formerly Belfast Forum Hotel) where many journalists liked to stay as it had more stars than most others.

Journalists could then report on riots from the comfort of their hotel room and claim to be in the middle of them.

If you liked Drop the Dead Donkey you will know what I mean!

The moral is do NOT believe everything you read in the media.

The other moral is DO NOT believe everything written by other motorhomers in this forum as they may be telling an untruth (perish the thought) or may just be exaggerating.

NB I have just read the forum subject of Fiat/Sevel base vehicles and this has reconfirmed my mistrust of some deeply held opinions!

Brabander - 2016-01-24 7:09 PM

Peter,

I have lived in N Ireland throughout the "troubles" and it is public knowledge here that riots were regularly organised (and sometimes paid for!!) to suit media time slots.

A particular hotspot in Belfast was the area around the Europa Hotel (formerly Belfast Forum Hotel) where many journalists liked to stay as it had more stars than most others.

Journalists could then report on riots from the comfort of their hotel room and claim to be in the middle of them.

The other moral is DO NOT believe everything written by other motorhomers in this forum as they may be telling an untruth (perish the thought) or may just be exaggerating.

NB I have just read the forum subject of Fiat/Sevel base vehicles and this has reconfirmed my mistrust of some deeply held opinions!

I was in the army during the so called troubles. and I remember very well on my first tour a woman hugging me in the street. and the very next day spitting at me and banging her dustbin lid as I and my mates ran down the street to safe some poor sod from a knee capping. and there was NO bloody cameras to be seen. But of course some people just think its all made up if it does not suit their own rose tinted bloody view of the world.

I have just read the forum subject of Fiat/Sevel base vehicles and this has reconfirmed my mistrust of some deeply held opinions!

Opinions are formed several ways, some by personal experience, some by media and external influence, and some by a combination of both and the benefit of a forum is that one can read and digest all opinions in the comfort of one's own home before distilling down to the bits one wants to believe - which will undoubtedly be influenced considerably by one's own personal experiences.

Perhaps you would care to share your views on Fiat et al with us to help us all in the distillation process!

Much the same to report, following times in NI.

Also now as a BG for the press and having worked at home and aboard (Iraq & Afghanistan 2003 - 2010) with BBC World News, CBS and ABC news. I can defiantly look back and say that they were not interested in the "happy feeling" News and only looking to report on sensational bad News.
I actually remember a certain leading female reporter getting very frustrated and annoyed no bombs or suicide attacks had happened on one of her trips, she classed it as a waisted journey.
Looking for good news, Type "Ice cream Van Afghanistan" into Google. I made it once..... lol 

Guest pelmetman
terry1956 - 2016-01-25 9:46 AM

Peter,

I was in the army during the so called troubles. and I remember very well on my first tour a woman hugging me in the street. and the very next day spitting at me and banging her dustbin lid as I and my mates ran down the street to safe some poor sod from a knee capping. and there was NO bloody cameras to be seen. But of course some people just think its all made up if it does not suit their own rose tinted bloody view of the world.

Its a funny old world ;-) ..........I once had a old lady come up to me in Malta and spit on me 8-) ..........

I assume its was because I was wearing a red sweat shirt with the Russian hammer & sickle on it, and thought I was a communist :-S ..........I presume she couldn't read the rest of the logo *-) .........

The sweat shirt was to commemorate HMS Devonshire visiting Odessa :-| ......

aka4ajax - 2016-01-25 10:09 AMMuch the same to report, following times in NI.

Also now as a BG for the press and having worked at home and aboard (Iraq & Afghanistan 2003 - 2010) with BBC World News, CBS and ABC news. I can defiantly look back and say that they were not interested in the "happy feeling" News and only looking to report on sensational bad News.
I actually remember a certain leading female reporter getting very frustrated and annoyed no bombs or suicide attacks had happened on one of her trips, she classed it as a waisted journey.
Looking for good news, Type "Ice cream Van Afghanistan" into Google. I made it once..... lol 

I'll spare your blushes Neil.... here it is!
Well done that man - deserve a gong!

Talking of news and media I suspect we are all aware that they will 'embellish' stories to get the reader's attention. After all if an editor printed an edition stating that basically everything was totally fine and no news to report, he would be looking at a P45 fairly sharpish. I blame it all on the News of the World in the 60's. As soon as they started printing that 'vicar runs off with parishioner's wife' it all went downhill.

As for the subject of the OP, Calais is a place I drive past as fast as possible, when I have to, and do not use any ferry/train from that point. I may drive a little longer but feel safer. On the positive side it also saves me the 'pleasure' of the M25.

Archived