Precautions Parking On Grass

enodreven

An old bread tray base cut in half, one half under each of the front wheels, if it's really back we have a second set we put under the rear wheels as well, it helps to spread the load and saves sinking in. As they are plastic they are light and can be easily cleaned with a hose pipe. However, if the grass looks soft don't even attempt to drive on it in the first place otherwise you'll get that 'sinking' feeling ... literally! :-(

Hi, Are you sure I don't recall seeing any for sale in Tesco, albeit i have seen them stacked in the rear loading areas but i didn't think they were for sale, unless we are talking about different things. The items i am thinking about are the large plastic trays that are about 2 feet X 2 feet square and about 4 to 6 inches deep ? or have i got it wrong ? [QUOTE]michele - 2006-11-07 9:54 PM Tesco's under a £1 Goodluck ;-)[/QUOTE]

Hi, I think parking on grass is just one of these things you can only get to know what you can get away with and not by experience and getting stuck a few times. In Slovenia I parked up on hard grassed ground - very firm no problem, 2nd night rained all night long and in morning was axle deep. On a CL site the owner said, "Aye, you will be fine there, no problem, its hardcore under the grass". Say no more. Also found a lot of people suggesting these thick rubber mats that are full of holes. I wonder if these chaps have ever actually tried them on soft muddy grass, 'cos it don't work for me. Mat goes one way and van stays put, or the wheel just slips on mat worse than on the wet grass. So main object is not to get stuck in first place. I tend to use my ramps whenever I can and point uphill so you roll off the ramps helping push you out of the dips made by the wheels which have formed. Never got stuck since doing that, but have had to 'dig' the ramps out of the ground. If you do damage grass and make muddy ruts, do try and repair afterwards and not just drive away leaving it looking a mess. The site manager will thank you and more likely let other motorhomers park on his precious grass rather than say "its wet, yer nay gettin on it, and as there's nay hardstanden left ye'll have ta go sumwhere ulse" Yes! bread trays work well, Also just pieces of wood, but I think the secret is always drive in up hill if you can find a grass bit with a gentle slope, use ramps to get you level but drive onto them, not reverse so you can reverse off and down the slope to get off the grass. If the grass is very wet and ground soft, test by trying to dig your heel in, then forget it, you will get stuck. Also look for trees with roots near the ground surface as they will help take the weight of the wheels and ground is firmer. Hope this helps a little. Jon.

In addition to the standard Fiamma Levelling blocks, we carry a couple of timber boards, about 24x6x1 (inches that is - sorry bit old fashioned in measurements, I'm afraid), and invariably park on these, even if on hard standings. I've bevelled of the leading edge so I can drive on or reverse on as necessary, and find that this is Ok - I wouldn't want to use them on a field, but for going onto grass just off a track they'e Ok. With front wheel drive, obviously I reverse so far, then put them under at the edge of the pitch grass. As out van is slightly higher at the back, they also serve to level up...although the weight of the van can sometimes make them sink into the grass a little.

Archived