Shipping Camper Van to USA

Roger Stanton

Why do you want to do that ? Much easier to hire. 2 months is nothing in such a vast country. If cost is your difficulty then hire a small car and stay in Motels, you'll see just as much.

If you want to experience their camp sites you could possibly hire a van for a day or two on a site. I don't see any advantage, unplanned accidents can happen anywhere, the costs of removal may be impossible. Consider that !

How many US registered vans do you see in this country ?

HI

Over the years I have spoken to several people who proposed doing what you are thinking. Of those I know of only one who actually did. The cost was In the region of £3000 each way if I recollect AND the van had to be driven to Germany (Hamburg?) for shipment.

You will need a 110 to 220 V (Transformer) conversion to use Hook ups and the US system runs at 60Hz NOT 50Hz., which can be an issue with some European electronics. US camp grounds are set up for Water Power AND sewage. and their R-V`s are fitted to take advantage of them

£6000 is approx $9000 at current rates. I recently sold an immaculate 1999 Winnebago 32ft A Class in Houston, for not that much more!. And For comfort and convenience IMHO are superior. You can drive All except the REALLY big pushers on a UK licence, and they are already LH drive.!

Where I considering it that is the way I would go. Buy, Use, and sell on.

Pete

Roger what has already been said about a 2 month stint is on the button.

I costed 3 years running a while of back of shipping or hiring and the break even point cost wise for up to 9/10 weeks is not worth the trouble to ship your own vehicle over, hiring for that time is the best option. We have not long got back from touring Canada and Alaska, always wanted to drive the Alaska Highway, and we did for 12 weeks, it was cheaper and much more enjoyable with a hired RV. especially when you hit a highway under repair and in areas out in the sticks.

We have out of interest toured the USA including our last trip 3 times and each time it was more relaxing with a hired RV.

Archived