Electronic Key Fob

Len Salisbury

My key Fob has started to malfunction and the battery needs to be replaced very frequently if I don't take it out of the casing. Yesterday it didn't work at all so I need to replace the device. The vehicle is a Peugeot Boxer 2009 Autocruise. The cost of replacement from Peugeot will be in the region of £280. Does anyone know where a replacement can be obtained cheaper than this figure?

hi Len,

When my daughter needed a key for her Fiat Punto car I tried everywhere, lots of places will cut keys.Unfortunately for these keys to be cut the key cutter needs a code from the manufacturer in order to determine the pattern. I was repeatedly being told that Fiat REFUSED to release this code in order to maintain the"Dealer Only "option. Very expensive as I remember.She has just bought a Peugeot car which requires a second key and a local Locksmiths and key cutter has said he will cut the key for her when she gets possession of the V5 for the car.He will do either the Remote key or the standard emergency key[different prices of course]. So I would keep looking if I was you.

cheers

derek

I have always thought keys could only be obtained from dealers at stupid prices.But recently someone posted this on another site. Why not give it a go and let us know how you get on........sounds too good to be true ????

"The Fiat main dealer quoted £127 for the key, plus £75 to code it in, and VAT exttra = total £242.

Longton Lock Supplies in Stoke on Trent supply and code for £55 for a straight key and £60 for a flip inc VAT.

Easy to find, good access, as they have gates at the rear of Tesco at Longton.

Their contact number is 01782 593791"

webby1 - 2015-11-09 9:58 AM

"The Fiat main dealer quoted £127 for the key, plus £75 to code it in, and VAT exttra = total £242.

Longton Lock Supplies in Stoke on Trent supply and code for £55 for a straight key and £60 for a flip inc VAT.

I think you will find they don't have the central locking fob.

Timpson do a straight one for £55.

Long ton Lock Supplies are just around the corner from me, and I have used them for door keys.

I will check with them but pretty sure they will just be the metal keys without a transponder code, you could open the door but not start the vehicle.

That's the price of modern security, all manufacturers do it. But it probably costs them pence to re-programme another key.

I know when I take my wife's mini in for service, they plug the key in a socket on their desk and tell me the mileage, service history and any faults.

You could do what we do?.....

I buy replacement fobs from ebay; just search for 'Fiat Ducato remote' and you will find a replacement fob of the right shape to suit your original one.

They come with a new un-cut blade but no internal bits such as battery holder and pcb so that you can swap your originals over. There is also a pin that secures your original blade that can be popped out so you can fit your original one to the new fob.

It's a bit fiddly but the savings are enormous; a kit with a battery costs less than £10 and rejuvenates your key fob to as good as new!

If your buttons have already worn through, you may have damaged your buttons on the pcb. These can also be replaced and are also available on ebay. They are quite tricky to solder on but not the worst job in the world. It's definitely better to replace the fob before it wears through. As soon as you notice the rubber membrane thinning or becoming sticky; it's time to do it!

Nick

The key still starts the engine so I am thinking now if the engine starts but the electronics do not function to open the doors am I NOT getting any current from the 2032 battery to activate the opening of the doors but the security for ignition still works. I had a phone repairer have a look at it last week and he said that the electronics were fine but there was some rust in the battery holder which he had de-rusted. I have put a new 2032 battery but it has not switched on the lights denoting that everything is working.

As Nick says above, it’s possible to obtain inexpensive repair kits and ‘empty’ replacement key fobs into which parts from the original fob can be transferred.

In your case it seems that your fob’s transponder is OK (otherwise the engine would not start) but there may be a problem with the fob’s PCB module despite what the phone repairer said.

You could try asking for advice from here

http://www.peugeotboxerautolocksmith.co.uk/peugeot-boxer-key-fob-remote-services/

Problem solved. Rob a relative solved it. Took out the battery holder to expose the four blades of which two outer ones hold the battery in position and the inner two contact the PCB inside, not as I thought that they all had to hold the battery in position. Bent the two inner ones to make contact with PCB. Simples.

• 9 months later...
Len Salisbury - 2015-11-08 8:20 AM

My key Fob has started to malfunction and the battery needs to be replaced very frequently if I don't take it out of the casing. Yesterday it didn't work at all so I need to replace the device. The vehicle is a Peugeot Boxer 2009 Autocruise. The cost of replacement from Peugeot will be in the region of £280. Does anyone know where a replacement can be obtained cheaper than this figure?

I think you can try to get the fob and key and program it yourself. If you fails to do it yourself then you can try different dealers or Locksmiths to see who has the lowest price.

Archived