Travelling to Austria

skiracer

Over 3500kg MAM you need a Go-Box to travel on Autobahns (and a small number of designated expressways).

For distance travel it can prove both expensive and inconvenient.

All the details can be gleaned here (in English):

https://www.go-maut.at/portal/faces/pages/common/portal.xhtml

Note that if you don't need to use the motorways (for speed or convenience) it is generally possible to travel around Austria with care without being dragged onto the toll system.

Any 3.5T weight limits with a picture of a lorry on them (and there are many) are designated to keep your normal HGV from passing through, and can be ignored by motorhomes with weights such as yours. (3.5T limits without the lorry symbol, however, are definitive weight restrictions and should be obeyed).

Hhhmm yes it's a pity about that. I've driven so many times in toll free Austria i was about to post "toll charge....what toll charge?" until i saw your weight! With a PVC at under 3 ton i get used to taking it for granted that everyone but HGV's can go where i go without paying a charge! :-D

....well, not really.

The tolls are payable only for using Autobahns.

Whether up to or above 3.5T, tolls are still payable.

It's just that above 3.5T they are less convenient and (considerably) more expensive.

As per my post above, it isn't too difficult to avoid Autobahns whether you are above or below the weight "break", and doing so also avoids the tolls.

Robinhood - 2015-11-10 6:03 PM

....well, not really.

It's just that above 3.5T they are less convenient and (considerably) more expensive.

This is not really correct in Austria. Some roads that certainly are not motorways are toll roads, for example the road to a small ski village called Stuben, part of the St. Anton ski area, is in places just a normal double lane road but is a toll road. If going to Austria I always buy a toll road ticket for the minimum period, if you are over 3500kg well a go box it is. Switzerland is different and toll roads easy to avoid and better scenary.

rupert123 - 2015-11-12 9:19 AM

This is not really correct in Austria. Some roads that certainly are not motorways are toll roads, for example the road to a small ski village called Stuben

Indeed, there are plenty of toll roads for which additional tolls are payable for all classes of vehicle - effectively they fall outside the Vignette/Go-Box system (many are privately-operated).

I think that this is the relevant list:

Arlberg-Straßentunnel, Brenner-Autobahn, Dachsteinstraße, Felbertauernstraße, Gerlos Alpenstraße, Großglockner-Hochalpen-Straße, Maltatal-Hochalmstraße, Nockalmstraße, Pyhrn-Autobahn (Gleinalmtunnel), Pyhrn-Autobahn (Bosrucktunnel), Silvretta Hochalpenstraße, Tauern-Autobahn (Tauern- und Katschbergtunnel), Timmelsjoch-Hochalpenstraße, Villacher Alpenstraße – Dobratsch, Karawankentunnel.

To take one as an example these are the tolls for the Gerlos-Alpenstrasse, irrespective of whether you already have a Vignette or Go-Box:

Vehicle category Private Car Motorcycle Truck 1 Truck 2

Day ticket EUR 8,50 EUR 5,50 EUR 16,00 EUR 23,00

rupert123 - 2015-11-12 9:19 AM

Robinhood - 2015-11-10 6:03 PM

....well, not really.

This is not really correct in Austria. Some roads that certainly are not motorways are toll roads, for example the road to a small ski village called Stuben, part of the St. Anton ski area, is in places just a normal double lane road but is a toll road. If going to Austria I always buy a toll road ticket for the minimum period, if you are over 3500kg well a go box it is. Switzerland is different and toll roads easy to avoid and better scenary.

TBF, I was using the words "the Tolls" to apply to the original subject of the discussion (i.e. the network where a Go-Box or Vignette is required, depending on weight.). I had already described (in my first post above) that this includes a small number of non-motorway "expressways" (most of which I've travelled on).

There are also a number of toll-roads in Austria that are outwith the Vignette/Go-Box network, either as "special toll" sections within the main network (Brenner Pass and some of the tunnels), or separate, privately-financed roads such as the Gerlos Pass or the Grossglockner - you aren't likely to unknowingly stray onto these latter, however, and neither will you need a Go-Box as they have their own toll barriers and collection points.

That do for you....? ;-)

(incidentally, it is quite interesting to see that both the Gerlosspass and the Grossglockner effectively treat motorhomes over 3500kg differently to the main Vignette/Gobox split. A motorhome over 3500kg is not charged the same as a truck over 3500kg, but the same as a truck below 3500kg, resulting in a charge which has a premium for being a motorhome over 3500kg, but not a prohibitive one!).

Robinhood - 2015-11-12 10:01 AM

.....such as the Gerlos Pass or the Grossglockner - you aren't likely to unknowingly stray onto these latter, however,

We did! :-D

We were only in Austria for one night this year so were undecided even about buying a 10 day vignette but went for it in the end to ease our journey. Then later the same day we found ourselves at the Gerlos Alpenstrasse barrier having to pay a further E8.50. I'm sure that in clear conditions it's a beautiful road but unfortunately for us the vsibility was about 30 metres. Idiots :-D

There are also a number of toll-roads in Austria that are outwith the Vignette/Go-Box network, either as "special toll" sections within the main network (Brenner Pass and some of the tunnels),

I thought the Brenner Pass (A16), although a Special road, you still needed a Vignette/Gobox.

The last time we went that way we used the parallel B182 to avoid the purchase of a Gobox (over 3500).

This year we travelled via Switzerland to avoid the hassle with Austria. You just purchase a heavy vehicle Vignette at the border for 10 days if over 3500kg - cost about 25 Euros.

It just goes to show, you need to be careful with wording when posting ;-)

You can enter the Austrian "vignette/Go-Box" network relatively unknowingly and risk all the resulting fines - there are no physical barriers at entry points (just "Maut" signs you may miss, or misunderstand), and the toll must be paid in advance.

For the other toll roads, physical barriers (and pay booths) are generally in place, so:

Steve928 - 2015-11-12 10:11 AM

We did! :-D

We were only in Austria for one night this year so were undecided even about buying a 10 day vignette but went for it in the end to ease our journey. Then later the same day we found ourselves at the Gerlos Alpenstrasse barrier having to pay a further E8.50. I'm sure that in clear conditions it's a beautiful road but unfortunately for us the vsibility was about 30 metres. Idiots :-D

...In my terms, you didn't unknowingly stray onto it, you unknowingly strayed up to it; AFAIR, the toll is effectively only levied for through journeys and you could quite easily have turned round and avoided the toll (it is quite a diversion, however :-) ).

If it's any consolation, I find the Gerlos Pass somewhat overrated as far as experience and views are concerned (unlike the Grossglockner).

Robbo - 2015-11-12 10:37 AM

I thought the Brenner Pass (A16), although a Special road, you still needed a Vignette/Gobox.

The last time we went that way we used the parallel B182 to avoid the purchase of a Gobox (over 3500).

The vignette (where weight allows) doesn't cover you for the Brenner Autobahn (a separate toll being payable); nor do I believe you need one if you pay the special toll (unless you approach the special section on the Autobahn - which you can avoid).

You may well technically be correct about the Go-Box. Whilst the toll for the Brenner is not the standard Go-Box, mileage-related rate (it is higher), for those vehicles subject to Go-Box the toll can (must be?) paid using a Go-Box. (the must be? is there because I've never been able to find a stand-alone arrangement such as does exist for vehicles up to 3500kg, but without a vignette, so I suspect a Go-Box may well be compulsory).

Edited to Add:

My suspicion on the latter is that almost every vehicle over 3.5T would legally have to approach the Special Toll plaza via the motorway, due to weight restrictions on other roads that could validly (see above) be ignored by a motorhome (and very few other vehicles) over 3.5T - hence no option to pay for the special stretch only.

Archived