Gvm

bigparkie

3550kg is (I sit waiting to be corrected) the absolute 'rated' max all up weight for the vehicle.  1850kg is front axle limit, 2250kg is rear axle limit.  These limits are absolute and relate to the max (by law) weight that they are permitted to be loaded to.

3500kg is the 'registered' max(note registered NOT absolute) all up weight the vehicle is permitted to be.... (front+rear axle weights combined BUT remaining within their individual limits).  This is a 'legal/registered' limit not a physical capability limit.  It might be that the vehicle is capable of operating 'safely' at higher weights BUT as it is registered at a max of 3500kg anything over that makes it illegal/overloaded.  If 'pulled' and check weighed you were found to be in excess of 3500kg there are potentially severe consequences.

Others will probably be along later to tell you about MIRO/MTPLM (mass in running order)etc but as I'm old 'skool' and don't understand these new fangled terms I have related as best I can in 'old money'.  :-)

The gross weight of the vehicle is basically 3500 (even if your vin plate says 3550). The permissible axle weights are the maximum weights on each axle. So, the weight on each àxle (combined) must not exceed the gross weight of 3500kg.

In other words, you could have 1500 on the front axle and 2000 on the rear axle = 3500kg.

colin - 2015-11-11 8:22 AM

Are you sure it reads 3550? Seems an odd figure, 3500 is common due to regulations, but if upgraded you might expect it to read something like 3850.

Indeed.

I'm not sure what anomaly the OP was referring to, but if the 'van is a current 728EB, according to spec it should be plated at either 3500 or 4100kg MAM.

Given this, it would appear that the 3550kg value is either a misread or an error.

If the question is to do with an apparent anomaly between the MAM and the total of the axle weights then (unless a vehicle is plated at its very maximum, as in the 4100kg option above) this is common, and allows for some flexibility in the manner of loading of the vehicle. None of the individual figures (MAM or either of the max axle weights) can be exceeded in legal on-road use of the vehicle.

bigparkie - 2015-11-13 12:28 AM

The anomaly is between the vin plate which defiantly says 3550 and v5 which is 3500!

I would re-check the plate (3550kg is a very unusual value to have).

If it is 3550kg (and particularly if it is a current model, which is advertised at 3500kg) I'd be making enquiries of my dealer, and/or Chausson themselves, as it would appear to be an anomaly, and one that could become embarrassing should you be stopped.

As an example, at 3550kg the vehicle should be taxed as PHG (Private Heavy Goods), but at 3500kg as PLG (Private Light Goods).

(The transition from 3500kg to a weight above has a number of legal and financial implications, and in any dispute the value on the VIN plate is likely to be seen as definitive, not that on the V5C).

The Chausson 728EB is built on either a Fiat X290 Ducato or Ford Transit Mk 8 base and (as Robinhood has already said) in the latter case should have a 3500kg or 4100kg maximum overall weight. This is clearly stated on the Chausson website

http://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/modele/728eb-2/

No motorhome manufacturer will deliberately build a model with a maximum overall weight of 3550kg.

By rating it at 3550 rather than 3500K, you pay less road tax whilst still keeping it within your manageable weight. It sounds like a dodge, unless you don't have the appropriate C1+E licence.

As said, the total doesn't have to match the individual axle maximums as you can rarely load them up equally.

Archived