UK winter campsites........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Following on from another thread, I thought I'd pose a useful question (for a change :D ).......

Do you know of a campsite open ALL winter in the UK that is :-

a) Within walking distance of a Town/Village with shops & Restaurant.......

b) Within walking distance of a bus stop.......

c) Cost less than 20 quid a night.......

I await the flood of responses :D ........

If your a member of the Camping & Caravan Club there is Hertford site. Old Market Town, lots of different types of Restaurants, walkable from site and buses in the town to various places. When we stayed there for half term it was £17 per night with age concession. It has hardstandings.

The Caravan Club site at Welwyn Garden City is within walking distance of a pub that serves food and there is a bus stop outside the Hospital (next door). Not sure how much this site is but it will be dearer than the above. WGC is the very first garden city to be built in the UK so quite a bit of history there too.

They are two sites in my neck of the woods :-D

Sat in one right now. £15 for a night. Bus stops about 100yds from entrance. Train station 500 yds, second station about half a mile away - separate lines. Supermarkets and chippy within half a mile or so in town which is down the hill. Plenty of eating places in town depending on your taste although pub grub needs a bit more of a hike if you want a good choice. Great views and and walks plus free WiFi if this post gets through!

The firm that runs this site has two others, at least one other of which meets your needs.

The Caravan Club site has a search facility.

pelmetman - 2015-11-11 10:32 PM

Following on from another thread, I thought I'd pose a useful question (for a change :D ).......

Do you know of a campsite open ALL winter in the UK that is :-

a) Within walking distance of a Town/Village with shops & Restaurant.......

b) Within walking distance of a bus stop.......

c) Cost less than 20 quid a night.......

I await the flood of responses :D ........

Yes, but the question is only "useful" if you narrow the parameters as there are hundreds across the country.

This is handy for Cheltenham and Gloucester:

http://www.briarfields.net/#!/home (just checked and it's £16 a night)

There is bus stop right outside the site (Cheltenham 5mins- Gloucester 15mins), a Day-rider type ticket (about a fiver?), enables you to travel in-out-between both towns (cities?) as often as you like.

It's only around 20-30min walk into Cheltenham centre though and the walk does pass some nice looking buildings and a pub!.....

Although we haven't used main CC sites for a while now, Moreton-in-Marsh used to stay open year 'round, so did Broadway..and they were both in very easy walking distance,5-10mins, of their respective villages..

I think Oxford C&CC site used to stay open pretty much all year? (as we used that a few times for gigs in the City) but again, we haven't used for a while

As for their current tarrifs, folk would obviously need to check (but they wouldn't have been overly expensive, otherwise we wouldn't have been using them).

For anyone who is really interested in looking for 'sites, this website can come in "useful"- ;-)

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=248 Open all year

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=117 Pub sites

Brock - 2015-11-12 9:25 AM

Sat in one right now. £15 for a night. Bus stops about 100yds from entrance. Train station 500 yds, second station about half a mile away - separate lines. Supermarkets and chippy within half a mile or so in town which is down the hill. Plenty of eating places in town depending on your taste although pub grub needs a bit more of a hike if you want a good choice. Great views and and walks plus free WiFi if this post gets through!

The firm that runs this site has two others, at least one other of which meets your needs.

Is this a guess the site competition? ;-)

Brock - 2015-11-12 9:25 AM

And the site name is?

Dave didn't ask for names so I assumed he was just gathering intelligence to get a feel on how many there are. I also didn't want to recommend this site because we are all different and it may not suit. Ideal site for goats though as almost every road and path is steep in and around the town.

New Mills Marina is a CL with two family sized shower/toilet rooms, one of which is designed for disabled people. It is all hard standing with EHU and the appropriate fresh/waste/toilet points. New Mills is a mill town of c10,000 inhabitants located on the Cheshire/Derbyshire border, mid way between Buxton and Stockport. For the nautical, it is on the navigable Peak Forest Canal and also in the River Goyt valley. The town is served by two CLs, and a CS all within walking distance of the town centre and a C&CC site three miles away at Hayfield {no caravans allowed]. Nearest full CC site is at Buxton. Trains go to Buxton & Stockport/Manchester and beyond, Manchester & Sheffield and beyond. Buses seem to go everywhere but the main services are into Stockport, Buxton, Chesterfield & Nottingham and Manchester Airport. New Mills is about five miles from Kinder Scout, where the infamous trespass took place.

The other CL is about £12/£13 per night on a farm in Strines. It has EHU water/waste points, some hard standing. a bus service to Stockport and an occasional train service to Manchester. Very relaxing but no showers. The CS is in a field near Thornsett which is all I can tell you about it.It did have 3 caravans on it this week.

Brock - 2015-11-13 3:57 PM

Dave didn't ask for names so I assumed he was just gathering intelligence to get a feel on how many there are. I also didn't want to recommend this site because we are all different and it may not suit. Ideal site for goats though as almost every road and path is steep in and around the town.

New Mills Marina is a CL with two family sized shower/toilet rooms, one of which is designed for disabled people. It is all hard standing with EHU and the appropriate fresh/waste/toilet points. New Mills is a mill town of c10,000 inhabitants located on the Cheshire/Derbyshire border, mid way between Buxton and Stockport. For the nautical, it is on the navigable Peak Forest Canal and also in the River Goyt valley. The town is served by two CLs, and a CS all within walking distance of the town centre and a C&CC site three miles away at Hayfield {no caravans allowed]. Nearest full CC site is at Buxton. Trains go to Buxton & Stockport/Manchester and beyond, Manchester & Sheffield and beyond. Buses seem to go everywhere but the main services are into Stockport, Buxton, Chesterfield & Nottingham and Manchester Airport. New Mills is about five miles from Kinder Scout, where the infamous trespass took place.

The other CL is about £12/£13 per night on a farm in Strines. It has EHU water/waste points, some hard standing. a bus service to Stockport and an occasional train service to Manchester. Very relaxing but no showers. The CS is in a field near Thornsett which is all I can tell you about it.It did have 3 caravans on it this week.

Thanks.

Cardiff is a place to stop throughout the year, not because it's a great campsite but because it is so well located. The city centre is a nice stroll along the river through a park or you can catch a ferry along the river to the bars and restaurants in Cardiff Bay. The only snag for some is that it costs £30 per night or £180 for the week.

Guest pelmetman

Confused of Lincolnshire here :-S .............a marina site at the top of a hill? 8-) ...........

Was it built by Noah? (lol) .........Sounds nice though B-) .........

Keep em coming folks, its all useful info for us moho owners who don't go into hibernation for the winter ;-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Mike88 - 2015-11-17 4:57 PM

Cardiff is a place to stop throughout the year, not because it's a great campsite but because it is so well located. The city centre is a nice stroll along the river through a park or you can catch a ferry along the river to the bars and restaurants in Cardiff Bay. The only snag for some is that it costs £30 per night or £180 for the week.

30 squid even in winter? 8-) ............

Mind you we got stitched up for £25 per night...... in Norfolk .......in the snow.......which might not sound like much nowdays.................. but we stopped there in 1992 *-) .......

Haven't been back, nor will we >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2015-11-18 5:51 PM

Confused of Lincolnshire here :-S .............a marina site at the top of a hill? 8-) ...........

Was it built by Noah? (lol) .........Sounds nice though B-) .........

Keep em coming folks, its all useful info for us moho owners who don't go into hibernation for the winter ;-) .......

Dave

He is talking about a CANAL marina. So yes they can be uphill.

Should GO to Specsavers????

Mentioning York..

We were down to use this site a few years back http://www.manorfarmyork.co.uk/index.html

..but we ended up having to cancel though (we were either snowed in our lane or it was major floods at the York end, I can't recall which..?)

I recall it didn't look too far out though, being within the south-side bypass..

There's a CL in Cheddar (Witheridge Farm?), which has hard standing. It's opposite the entrance to the Cheddar Bridge campsite (and the lane to the CC's main site),so only a few minutes walk into the town.

We've only used it during the summer and without ehu though..but it does say that it's open all year..

10/10 P Jay. New Mills Marina is on the side of the hill, the main town is on the opposite hill, separated by the gorge. So, either down the old pack horse trail to the floor of the gorge and up the other side, or down the road and over the bridge and up the road. The best walking trails are on the hills and moors above the town & marina.

New-Mills-Marina-2-2.jpg.bd41003ae90597595d39530632d94420.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2015-11-19 2:58 PM

10/10 P Jay. New Mills Marina is on the side of the hill, the main town is on the opposite hill, separated by the gorge. So, either down the old pack horse trail to the floor of the gorge and up the other side, or down the road and over the bridge and up the road. The best walking trails are on the hills and moors above the town & marina.

Looks nice from the website ;-) ..........although I couldn't find any prices? :-S .........

£15 for the pitch when I was there in the summer and £15 when I was there earlier in the month. No extra charge for people!

Looks like Warners have decided to pick up on your thread, Pelmetman, although I think they've taken the price as a guide, not a limit.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/articles/campsites/top-campsites-open-for-christmas?utm_source=Communicator&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Untitled6&utm_campaign=Protect+your+motorhome+this+winter+%7c+Christmas+Campsites+%7c+Accessories&_ccCt=u0coTVagTCRxEuYRfarKr3uFzBbr58idZiKXzI8nVFnbLJjgZUasZf%7egqpRqXqVn

Browsing MMMs open all year sites insert the other day, as I thought of having a potter down to Dorset and have a few stopovers up my sleeve.

Said insert had Ulwell Cottage down as from £11 2 adults, pitch and electric, not too bad I thought, went on the website, the cheapest pitch is £16 plus people, so I will not be trusting in future the printed word in these inserts.

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2015-11-21 11:04 AM

Looks like Warners have decided to pick up on your thread, Pelmetman,

What would they do without me eh? :D .................

I'm a pathfinder ;-) ..........Next thing you'll be seeing in MMM is how to put 40 year old petrol engines in your camper (lol) ...........

Archived