TV's for motorhome

clareh

hi all. im new to the forum, and motorhoming, so please bear with my ignorances!! id like to know....is a 'designed for vehicle use' TV neccessary?? or can i utilise a 'bog standard' flat screen TV (obvious aerials etc used accordingly). thanks in anticipation! clare

Hello Clare, Welcome & hope you enjoy the forum. If you will only ever use the TV when on mains hook-up than you can use a standard set. Otherwise you need one which will run off a 12 volt supply or off 230 volt supply via an inverter - and in either case that it doesn't take so much power that it flattens your battery. Graham

Hi Clare Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming and to the Font of All Knowledge - the forum! We use a laptop. Our 17" screen Acer has a built-in TV function and even came with a little aerial. Even if your laptop doesn't have this function I believe you can buy a TV gizmo to plug in. With such a small indoor aerial the reception was only ok in places with good reception, so we bought a brilliant little outdoor digital TV aerial called One For All (with built in signal booster) from Maplins for about 40 pounds. It isn't awkward or fussy, just a robust plastic thingy that you poke out of the window (can be pole mounted if you prefer, we have never bothered - we just jam it in the sliding window when we need it). We have found this aerial to be better than the Status we had fitted on our ca**van. Have fun! Vixter

Have a look here all the options have alredy been discussed in this thread. http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5446&posts=51

Clare The simple answer is that you do not need a special tv. Various methods of tv set can be used. Bear in mind however that you will have to carry and store the set with you when travelling. If you dio not have a tv but currnetly have a laptop that you take with you you may wish to use Freeview on a laptop with a PCMCIA card. Maplins are among the suppliers of this type of kit. Others use lcd as well as conventional tvs. If you are really desperate to watch telly wjhile away you can even get satellite dishes.To get further info use the search facility on the forum. Good luck Docted

[QUOTE]docted - 2006-11-10 12:25 PM . If you are really desperate to watch telly wjhile away you can even get satellite dishes.Docted[/QUOTE]So, why do you have to be desperate to use a Satellite dish? I use one for the massive amount of choice of channels and the quality of the reception; I also have an arial for when we are parked under trees etc.

Some of us actually go away on holiday for a change and not just a change of location for the telly and the kitchen sink. Additionally Peter sometimes we wild camps. You can't always get a terrestial station where we goes hence the comment "if you are really desperate". Docted

Archived