Council run campsites

pyrie

Does anyone have a list of council run campsites?

Reason I ask is that I was up at Beecraigs Country Park last weekend, near Linlithgow, run by West Lothian council.

This is my first season motorhoming, and I was really impressed with their site, plenty of hard standing space for motorhomes, nice facilities. Right next door to Beecraigs country park forest, and their farm - highland cows, deer etc. Owls hooting at night in the forest, and plenty of paths to follow for walks/mountain biking.

My only gripe is that the lower parking areas had zero satellite reception, but I managed to pick up terrestrial for the long dark night ahead.

A Council run Site is a rare thing these days. Aberdeenshire had quite a few until 2 or 3 years ago when they sold them off.

Can you give a link to a website for the one you stayed on, or at least give the cost per night please.

Sounds a good site no TV so no or few Tuggers Hard standing and Owls. Cannot see the point with many of them they drive hundreds of miles spend hours setting up to sit for days watching the box..... Have fun in your motorhome you made the right choice. LOL sorry tuggers only taking the p. :-D

Wirral Council had a campsite at Thursaston Wirral Country Park,it closed some time ago,but I believe they are going to reopen it. I wouldn't say it was a superb site but it was adequate.

The Caravan Club site is across the road,past the residential park.

pyrie - 2015-11-14 8:17 PM

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/2314/Caravan-and-Camping

There's a PDF with tariffs

At £18.80 with a high of £23.25 that's crazy money and not far off Travelodge prices!

yeti - 2015-11-15 1:21 AM

Wirral Council had a campsite at Thursaston Wirral Country Park,it closed some time ago,but I believe they are going to reopen it. I wouldn't say it was a superb site but it was adequate.

I doubt it......the CC won't allow that to happen! No doubt a councillor of 'influence' who is a CC member will 'help'. ;-)

pyrie - 2015-11-14 8:17 PM

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/2314/Caravan-and-Camping

There's a PDF with tariffs

I guess that all British pitch prices are influenced (inflated) by the money grubbing businesses masquerading as 'Clubs'.

We will keep on crossing the Channel and using municipal sites in France, at least they understand sensible pricing!

Many councils set up caravan sites as a way of getting around a clause in the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 that required them to provide sites for travellers, They set up caravan sites but made the access conditions such that the travelling community were prevented from using them. (No commercial vehicles or sign written vehicles, closed during the winter months, etc.)

Realising this the law was changed and specific all year traveller sites had to be provided. Councils were determined to get the itinerant traveller off the road, so made this now provision static rather than providing facilities for those still wanting to maintain a travelling lifestyle. This is the cause of the itinerant traveller problems often reported.

Many of the initial sites are now leased to private operators and most are now occupied by static caravans or seasonally sited vans.

The caravan Club operates many council owned sites.

yeti - 2015-11-15 1:21 AM

I'll have a look for you when we go to the CC site next year and post an update. I can confirm its a nice location but unless they do newspapers like the CC site does you will have to go a long way to get one and you will need to make sure you have sufficient supplies for your stay if you want to avoid having to take the van out to go shopping.

A few years ago, we stayed at a council run site at Southwold in Suffolk. A big site, right by the sea, and walking distance to the town. However, it had no hardstandings and no electric, and facilities were very basic. Not many other people there as I recall. Had the council let it out on long lease to one of the clubs to redevelop it, that site would have been packed every weekend. However, like many council sites in good locations, they are always tempted to sell the land off for building - or are just plain indecisive - so nothing gets done. Prime example is the council owned site in Totnes, Devon, currently leased to the caravan club. Another run down site but convenient for town, where the CC wardens do their best, but the council will only give them an annual lease so we get no improvements. This situation has been going on for at least 10 years to my knowledge.

Brians dad - 2015-11-16 4:00 PM

A few years ago, we stayed at a council run site at Southwold in Suffolk. A big site, right by the sea, and walking distance to the town. However, it had no hardstandings and no electric, and facilities were very basic. Not many other people there as I recall. Had the council let it out on long lease to one of the clubs to redevelop it, that site would have been packed every weekend. However, like many council sites in good locations, they are always tempted to sell the land off for building - or are just plain indecisive - so nothing gets done. Prime example is the council owned site in Totnes, Devon, currently leased to the caravan club. Another run down site but convenient for town, where the CC wardens do their best, but the council will only give them an annual lease so we get no improvements. This situation has been going on for at least 10 years to my knowledge.

An update for all and Brian's dad.

The Southwold campsite is still owned and operated by Waveney DC. Website: http://www.southwoldcamping.com/

It is a "quaint" mix of statics and touring pitches. There are 9 electric points/hard standings of sorts. We stayed there in low season without making a booking. But its great position by the harbour/beach means that it is booked solid in the summer. This is one site that I guess will never be developed for housing :-D

The statics are old and have few services but that is exactly what the owners want. They all rent their pitches from the council and apparently want the site to stay low key and "as it was when we were young"! Site services are OK but it can be muddy after rain. Management is active and understands their customers. Well worth a visit if you like Southwold.

Archived