Hobby vans

Brian Kirby

Hi Brian, We have recently looked at the larger Hobby range. Janet likes the external styling but it is let down by not having the internal layout she wants, resid and limited base vehicle range. i.e. we DONT want a Fiat. or front wheel drive. My shopping list starts with twin rears on the rear drive axle. i.e. Merc 416 (or whatever it is now), Iveco 6 tonne 3 litre chassis etc. Maybe a larger RWD Transit. Hang on until next year and visit Dusseldorf, we plan to. Regards C.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-11-08 11:27 PM

Has anyone a recent Hobby?  Could you please comment on general build quality?

If you bought abroad, could you please let me know if you found a reliable dealer?

Many thanks.

[/QUOTE] Brian, There are two members of the forum who have Hobby's, Derek Uzzell and "Mock Jock" 8-) so you might get some feed back if there about. We looked at them and were very impressed with the build but the big downside is that curvature on the body 8-) The habitation door will not open fully and can be a problem in very windy weather. I think M J had a disasters with his. Don

We bought our Hobby 650 at the Dusseldorf show 3 years ago.In that time we have been delighted with it.Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it at all. I agree the styling is unusual with curved sides and that does pose problems with the door but a simple mod overcomes that. We spend our winters on a site in Spain used by the Germans and they all sing the praises of Hobby especially the disgruntled Hymer owners.Equally here in France the dealers for other marques are impressed with the solid build quality. Before we visited the show we thought we would have problems finding a dealer but I asked at the stand for an English speaking dealer and met Alex Ernst of www.ernst-caravan.de who was a pleasure to deal with.Delivery was in 3 months at a saving of 16k Sterling compared to UK list.All in all we bought the right motorhome from the right dealer and the pleasure of ownership continues.

Brian, The problem with asking this question is illustrated by the replies you've received. I'd better be careful here or I'll be accused of being rude when nothing is further from my mind . . . The vast majority of motorhome buyers, especially if they've gone to the trouble of buying abroad, are complete enthusiasts for what they've bought. So you are unlikely to get an objective answer! So what do you do? Personally, I've never liked the low profile Hobby vans, but they are well built. To be honest, almost all vans are built the same way - on industrial production lines - and use exactly the same bin of parts - Seitz windows, Thetford loos, Truma heaters, and so on. You're as likely to get a faulty water heater on a £25K van as on a £75k one, and it's only these things that normally go wrong. Unless, of course you get water ingress in the body. So to decide: 1. Do you like the look and layout ? (I never bother with the look of my car as I'm always inside it, but I do sit outside the motorhome a lot so it has to look right!) 2. Is it an economy model (such as Chausson/Challenger/CI/Joint) or a reasonably mid-market one (Hymer, Hobby, Laika, Pilote, Autostar, etc) or an upmarket model (Frankia, Neismann, etc). Economy models are more likely to have cheaper furniture and fittings. And is the body design one that could be subject to leakage around the roof seams or skylights (get up and have a look) or where the walls join the floor? 3. Do you like the base vehicle? Clive is insistent on rear wheel drive, but having graduated myself to front drive from rear, I'm very happy about traction and can live with the worse turning circle. Clive, if you must stick to rear wheel drive, do check the Iveco before including it in your list. In my view the ride leaves a lot to be desired. The current best model is probably the new Ford Transit - and you can now get it in 4-w-d!

Thank you all for your replies, and thanks AW for the dealer details.  I've looked at his website and I must say I'm impressed!

I'm aware of Clive's preference for RWD, but all the vans in the size bracket I'm researching are FWD, so I won't have the choice.

Odd business, this experience stuff, isn't it, Mel?  We researched our present 'van (Burstner T 585, 2006 model) very carefully, including hiring before we bought.  Absolutely spot on.  Accommodation suits us exactly, quality is better than I'd expected and the 'van was spotless and fault free on delivery.  Fantastic!

So, if it's that good, why, after only 18 months, are we considering changing? 

Well, it won't quite go where we want it to!  We prefer to travel on minor roads, many of which are quite narrow.  On many such roads, 2.3M of motorhome plus jug eared mirrors means you have to keep slowing or stopping to negotiate anything larger than the average MPV, especially other motorhomes!  That just makes the travel too slow, and occasionally quite nerve-wracking. 

So, question: do we travel down motorways and main roads for ease of driving, missing out on the byway bliss, or get ourselves a narrower 'van?

Well, we've decided to investigate the narrower 'van to see what there is, keeping as close to our present layout as possible because it suits us so well.  Next mountain will be cost, but there's no point in persisting with what we have if we can't do what we enjoy, or suffer avoidable stress while doing so. 

What am I on about?  Here's an example.  Gard in Languedoc-Roussillon.  Take the D32/986 from Pezenas to Ganges, then D986/982/910 and N110 to Ales.  Superb scenic roads up onto, and across, the Cevennes, with wonderful countryside all around.  However, on the Pezenas/Ganges leg, the road is bounded by superb but absolutely enormous plane trees.  Also, it was the middle of the grape harvest, so loads of tractors with trailers, and trucks, all storming around making next years wine.  Great!  The planes must be at least 150 years old and, as they've increased in girth, they've encroached into the road.  They also lean a bit, (probably the wine!) mostly away from the road - but not all!  To pass the trucks, you have to waggle your mirrors into the gaps between the planes and, with the ones that lean in, you have to waggle the awning box in as well.  Didn't get much time to look at the scenery then, did I?  All great fun, but the concentration level was knackering, and that's not so enjoyable.

Last year we found the minor roads in Portugal were often tight, as to our surprise, were quite a few of the minor, and not so minor, roads we travelled this year in Germany.

So narrower van it is, then, provided we can afford it!  Having looked at what is sensibly available, UK, France, Germany and the low countries, I'm now down Dethleffs' Globebuses or Globevan, the Adria Twin, or the Hobby Van.  I've discounted Knaus and Weinsburg "Vans" as still too wide at 2.2M, and the Knaus C and V liners as too expensive.

I'm not too impressed by Dethleffs' build quality compared to the Burstner, and as they're 2.15M wide they're in the reserves.  The 2007 Adria is quite impressive, but only has a two burner hob and a pocket fridge, as do all its clones.  Insufficient, we think, for longer trips.  That leaves the Hobby Van as present favourite, (a whisker over 6M long and 2.07M wide) but they're a new model and in short supply, and I haven't seen one yet.  Come to that, I've never had a proper look around any Hobby.  Hence, the "any happy customers" question.

So, there you are.  If you're still awake, further comments/opinions will be welcome.

very intersted in Brian's reply, espeically about the width. We're currently using teh Rapido 710F, and at 2.11m wide is excellent for going almost anywhere.....looking if we repace at almost anything seems to be 2.30. However, in reality, does the extra perhaps 6inches behind the cab really make that much difference for driving. I agree the width of mirrors is paramount,and I guess the wider bodies on the new Fiat will have mirrors extending further out, especially as they seem to have lights (??) on them!

Keith

Problem is, 2.3M is 190mm wider than your 2.11M Rapido, which is 8 inches, not 6.  And yes, I do think that would make a difference.  However, it so much depends where you go. 

Coming from Cornwall, you should be quite good at narrow roads and I guess you know only too well that their edges are expensive to explore!  So, how would an extra 8 inches fit your locality?  Don't forget the width is behind you, where you can only see it in the mirrors.  Negotiating narrow roads in fat vans while looking in the mirrors is quite possible, but not recommended at over 5mph!  That was my point.

If the coachbuilt bit is much the same width as the cab, the width of which you can see, I think the narrows would be that much easier to handle.  With a narrower coachbuilt body the door mirrors don't have to stand off the cab so far to give an adequate rear view, so come more into the normal field of view, and the cab A pillars give a fair representation of actual body width.

My nearside mirror, on it's extended Burstner arm, is so far off to my right (LHD 'van) that I can't take it in from the corner of my eye and have to turn to look at it - but then I can't see the offside one.

If you're only doing 40 mph, and a truck is approaching at 30 mph, you have a closing speed of 70mph with the truck and 40 mph for roadside obstructions.  I suppose I'm getting old, but I just can't compute the clearances to both sides with confidence on the fly.  I have to slow down to be able to check both side mirrors, and ahead, to be sure I'm not going to knock a mirror of in passing.

If you're only going to be on the narrow road for a few miles, no problem.  However, if you're travelling 150 - 200 miles on narrow minor roads all that slowing down is uncomfortable for the passenger and you never make headway.  Solution, narrower 'van!

However, that's me.  Others, doubtless, do not find this a problem.

Does an extra 6" make a differance? (stop sniggering at the back). We will be upgrading from a T25 to an Adria Twin (or similair homebuilt) I know of at least one road in cornwall that I will no longer be able to drive along and the drive to work will be more, interesting! just with this change.

Brian, It seems that you're shortlisting a few of the new breed of compact low profiles. Have you considered the Hymervan? Its 214 wide and is arguably the one that everyone seems to be copying this year even down to a similar name. We are slightly biased as we've had the hymervan for a few months now and are delighted with it. Just after we took delivery, we found out about the new hobbyvan and must admit we would probably have considered that had it been available at the time, it looks like a lovely van although slightly over the magic 6 mtr mark for the ferries. Just in case you weren't aware, Knaus have their version coming soon the adventurously named 'Van ti', a similar layout to all the other hymervan copiers *-) but on the new fiat chassis....... http://www.knaus.de/fileadmin/Media/download/vanti_de.pdf I wish you well in your search and if you need any info on the hymervan, give me a shout. pete

[QUOTE]Keith T - 2006-11-09 7:31 PM very intersted in Brian's reply, espeically about the width. We're currently using teh Rapido 710F, and at 2.11m wide is excellent for going almost anywhere.....looking if we repace at almost anything seems to be 2.30. However, in reality, does the extra perhaps 6inches behind the cab really make that much difference for driving. I agree the width of mirrors is paramount,and I guess the wider bodies on the new Fiat will have mirrors extending further out, especially as they seem to have lights (??) on them![/QUOTE]i'll agree with that. I also have a 710f and can take it almost anywhere, great rear vision, 2.8 diesel. Have only had it a few months and am well pleased. Being narrow and not too long will get used more than a larger van I'm sure. One very happy chappie.

Thanks for the thought Pete.  Yes we did look and the Hymer, and Eriba, Vans earlier in the year.

I'm afraid we discounted them, mainly because the gas locker is off the boot, the spare wheel is stored on the dividing wall between boot and interior, and the wardrobe is only 3/4 height.  The first seemed to me designed to make replacing 13kg gas cylinders a sure ticket to the osteopath, the second liable to require unpacking half the boot contents if you needed to get at the spare, and the last just to be a waste of good space on the ground that it provided a shelf for the telly.  And where does the telly travel (if you have one), pray?  In another, similar sized space, presumably.  Two telly spaces, then, instead of just the one!  However, we liked the interior immensely and thought the quality well up to the usual Hymer standard.  Just didn't quite fit the bill for us.

However, I'm pleased you like it as it is a very attractive van in all other respects.  As above, the Knaus is 2.19 wide, so no great advantage over the Burstner.  Only about 4.5 inches saved didn't seem to warrant the cost of changing.  Like the Knaus finish, though.

Heigh ho!  Hard old world, isn't it!

Brian, what you REALLY need is a proper van conversion. When we downsized from out A-Class Mobilvetta, we went to a van because every ancient town in Europe seems to be full of delivery vans (white van man!) from about 0730 to 0900. And it's worked! A shade under 6M long we really do not miss the extra space. And it's only 1990 wide excluding wing mirrors (2390 wide including them fully out).

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-11-10 1:19 PM Brian, what you REALLY need is a proper van conversion. When we downsized from out A-Class Mobilvetta, we went to a van because every ancient town in Europe seems to be full of delivery vans (white van man!) from about 0730 to 0900. And it's worked! A shade under 6M long we really do not miss the extra space. And it's only 1990 wide excluding wing mirrors (2390 wide including them fully out). [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the above Mel, and Don for seconding.  I wondered when you'd get round to that! 

Well, it's not discounted, just that I'm trying to find a ready made, commercially available, LHD 'van that I can trade the existing LHD van against if possible. 

However, I'm convinced of the advantages of LHD for European driving, so I'm not sure how the "bespoke" UK converter would find working on a LHD van base.  After all, the layout would have to be a mirror the UK norm, so although all the furniture profiles should be the same, the assembly would have to be reversed left to right.  Whether that would be possible I can only find out by asking prospective makers.  If the Hobby option won't fly, I may well be on the phone to various people asking. 

Although I was very impressed with the 2007 Adria Twin design and finish (streets ahead of previous quality), there is still a "screwed together" feel about most of the conversions.  Varies from one to another I know, but the coachbuilts do seem to have the edge in sophistication of washrooms, furniture design and general fit and finish.  I guess that just reflects my preferences, and the relative ease of building them from the inside out.

We where impressed with the Twin, but have a couple of 'issues' with it. The base 100bhp engine appears to be a 'special' small engine for Adria to get headline price below £30,000, Fiat don't appear to offer this engine on van this size, as the lightest van can be is 2705kg(or 2829kg with essential equipment) people taking this option may find it short of puff. It is built on 3300kg base with no aparent option for upping to 3500kg, as I will have a tow bar I would like this option. So I am considering another home build with similair layout, but maybe with an L4 which gives another 12"? of lenght

another consideration over the adria twin is the trigano tribute - it is such a clever little van and comes in two lengths (the 550 and the 650 - I think). A Bargain at under 30k! I was really impressed when I compared both of them in July, especially against the British equivalents. Perhaps if they import it, the benivan from benimar is also a good wee van. I too find that vans are getting bigger - just looking at how few coachbuilts seem to be under 6m nowadays. Even our current Rimor is 7.3m long!

Re the Twin.  For 2007, it is available with 2.2 litre 100hp, 2.3 litre 130hp and 3.0 litre 157hp engines.  The latter, listed at £33,400 has a 3,500kg gross weight and a claimed 640kg payload and is, I suspect, the "maxi" chassis, since it has 225/75 R16 tyres whereas the others are on 215/70 R15 tyres.  It also has 6 speed box.

The Trigano is (apparently) no more.  Trigano has now "persuaded" all its group manufacturers to market the van under their various brand banners.  Thus there are versions from Autostar (Autostarvan), Chausson (Twist), Challenger (Vany), Caravans Internatinal (Kyros), Benimar (Benivan) and Roller Team (Livingstone).  All appear identical, with essentially the same layout as the Twin, 2 burner hobs and 80 litre fridges.  Knaus Box star appears to be in the same mould, as is another from Weinsberg.

However, we want 3 burners and a larger fridge, so they all fail!  Back to the Hobby!

[QUOTE]

Thanks for the above Mel, and Don for seconding.  I However, I'm convinced of the advantages of LHD for European driving, so I'm not sure how the "bespoke" UK converter would find working on a LHD van base.  After all, the layout would have to be a mirror the UK norm, so although all the furniture profiles should be the same, the assembly would have to be reversed left to right.  Whether that would be possible I can only find out by asking prospective makers. [/QUOTE] The new IH Campers conversion on the 2007 Fiat Ducato is done on a LHD base vehicle, for their demonstrator, so they would be able to build a LHD for you. www.ihcampers.co.uk Harvey

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-11 7:25 AM One issue with the "tribute" that you might like to bear in mind is that the fridge has to be removed for service (can't be done in situ) but the gangway is too narrow to remove the fridge. Therefore to service the fridge entails dismantling half of the van! D.[/QUOTE] Dave, We had a Laika 400i and that had 135 litre fridge in it, there was no way the fridge could be replaced as it was too big to go through the doors or window. We looked at the Timberland built on the Renault chassis and if that fridge can't be serviced from the outside they will have the same problem as the Tribute. 8-) 8-) Don

If you really want to try removing fridges which apparently won't, you might find that they can be removed via the passenger door by removing the front seat and getting it out that way. We once removed the passenger seat in order to take a moped down to London with us over the Christmas break one year, by taking the seat out and the table out we were able to slot it in to the van and stand it in the 'aisle' between the dinette and the kitchen, making sure it was well secured of course. It wasn't the easiest thing to do as it was a bit heavy, but it worked. ;-)

The problem withh the tribute fridge isn't that you can't get it out of the van but that you can't take it out of the slot where it normally lives 'cos the gap between the kitchen and the bathroom opposite is narrower than the depth of the fridge. I was told this by a Dometic service engineer at the NEC show in February. I don't know how many other panel van arrangements suffer this same problem. D. Edit; sorry to take this off topic. :$

Archived