A foot in both Camps

Dave225

As a long standing caravan owner I have tended to support the minority side of this Forum. However, we have now joined the ranks of motorhomers as well by buying a campervan. Although we have looked at various models in the brochures and at Shows we have plumped for a 2nd hand Globecar Campscout. The main reasons for this was that it is automatic, has the 150 engine, metallic paint, reversing camera, sat nav and by the time we added up all the options a new one for next year would be the top side of £50 grand, so we have saved a huge amont of money by getting this one. Ok, it is not brand spanking new but the conditon is very good. Plus, my neighbour has ordered a new Ducato conversion and will not collect it until May at the earliest. Even Fiat are quoting a 4 month delivery for the chassis/van evidently, so at least we have it for the start of the season next year.

However, we are not parting with the caravan and will take it to Spain as normal next year. It will then remain there and be our 'holiday home' in the sun and we may just fly out as it is quickers, and frankly cheaper than driving. Plus it is all set up for the sun with airconditining and shades etc. The campervan will be used for trips in the UK and northern Europe. So we are not totally daft.

The one downside is that we cannot just swop all the 'gear' from the caravan to the camper but are having to re-stock with the basics. One small issue we did discover is that although our caravan/motorhome accesory shop had crockery racks similar to what we purchased 10 years ago, not one of the crockery sets on sale actually fitted it, whereas our old set fitted perfectly. Progress I guess.

So, as a new campervanm owner I have been promised a bobbly hat and a outdoor jacket to wear. Will make a change from shorts and suncream. I assume I can now join in all the moans and groans regarding Sevel vehicles.

Welcome. Glad you got a bargain. Bad news is that there isn't a motorhome season. We carry on through the winter. The bobble hat will come in useful unless you run to the sun.

If the plates etc can fit in the cupboards lying flat, just put offcuts of tea towels or pan protectors between the plates/dishes. Mugs tend to travel upside down, especially if they have a wide brim. We wrap silicon trivets [from Seaflo] around the mugs' sides to stop them rattling.

Sounds like a great set-up and should be perfect for holidays in Spain and touring closer to home in the Globecar.

The Campscout is a smashing van and more or less the same layout we're trying to achieve, except that we want to keep under 6m; mainly to fit comfortably on the drive at home. I know the length of the extra long Ducato base is only about a foot more than than the standard long wheelbase version, but for us it's unfortunately just too much.

In any case hope you have an excellent time with your new outfit.

Mike

Thank you for all the good wishes. I could state that as a caravan owner for the last 10 years and a coachbuilt motorhome owner for about 8 years prior to that I may plagiarise Obama and say ' I am going back to my roots'. But that just sounds stupid. However, I do admit it is a bit like having anew member of the family and I have been playing around trying to fidgure out how it all works. Today was trying to empty all the water system as tonight is supposed to be very cold and below freezing. Hopefully that has been achieved and I can get more time next week to make it all fine. (Un) fortunately we have 8 motnh grand daughetr stayimg so time is a bit short until she goes back to her mummy after the blizzards.

Dave

Am I assuming right that you will be storing the caravan off site at a dedicated storage compound during the summer months. In which case, what George is telling you is very relevant. As it is a British van not registered in Spain, you may have problems having it towed on site (unless you have friend on site with a British registered tow car). The storeage place which is used by a couple of my friends has got round this byhiring a transported truck, so the caravans are not actually on the road!

After many years of driving my motorhome to Spain for the winter sun, I have this year done the same thing as you are going to do. I have had a caravan transported to Spain where I shall leave permanently. (This year I have my motorhome here as well!That is in storage until I go home in the spring. It will be used for touring on the way home. Thereafter it will be used just for touring in the Uk.

I had the caravan towed here to the Costa del Sol by a British firm base nearby here in Spain. I shall have

the caravan stored at their yard during the summer and they have British registered vehicles to tow it to and

from site.

John

Thank you for the information.

All I can say re the storage site is that they are a fully regfistered Company and provide full insurance for vans under their conttrol. They move about 300 vans to and fro each year registered from all EU countries with no problem. The storage site is only about 3/4 mile from the campsite. Many of the vans from Germany etc do not even have any number plate anymore.

Now there may be a local 'mafia' involved but bluntly that is the issue for the locals, not me. The situation has been happily working for over 10 years without any problems, so i kinda feel it is not likely to change soon.

Plus, as mentioned my caravan is not in its fiirst flush of youth and is a geriatric compared to the many brand new UK vans in the site/storage park, so my loss will be relatively small if it all goes pear shaped.

• 11 months later...

Hi Andy and Lou. I paid €320 for 7 months caravan storage this summer inthe Malaga region. You are unlikely to find that the caravan is insured by the storage people but I got mine covered by the Camping and Caravannig club while in storage here in Spain.

John L

Archived