starburst battery charger dead

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, I have come back from a friend, who has a dead battery charger in his van. I have checked the mains, all ok, checked supply into charger all ok, no 12 volt output. Chris reported there was a buzzing noise just before it was found to be not charging, and having opened the box to look inside, there is no evidence of burning, or smell. Light on mains switch still works indicating mains reaching input point, but no output.

as it is obviously a controlled output charger designed for van use, and no circuit diagram supplied with it, advice is that a replacement unit is required..

does anyone know of suitable repair or replacement unit. Van is starburst on 08 plate , and Autocruise of course have gone.

Any bright idesa for replacement or repair suggestions please.

tonyg3nwl

spelling error edit.

I don't know for sure but it may be a Sargent unit and there will be a name plate or label on it somewhere?

Sargents are very helpful and if it is one of theirs will probably be able to supply an exchange unit?

Swift might be able to help but they will probably refer you to the box makers?

Alternatively Alan at aandncaravan who often posts on here might be able to help?

Thanks, Tracker.

chris has just phoned to say there was name on the enclosed pc board in the unit and his wife searched the name on internet, and found the supplier in scotland..complete replacement unit available at just under 80 pounds, so they will order one and we will fit in when it arrives, and hopefully problem will be solved..

another happy customer...

tonyg3nwl..

ps I will post the details when it arrives if it really is the right device.

tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-11-19 5:00 PM

Hi folks, I have come back from a friend, who has a dead battery charger in his van. I have checked the mains, all ok, checked supply into charger all ok, no 12 volt output. Chris reported there was a buzzing noise just before it was found to be not charging, and having opened the box to look inside, there is no evidence of burning, or smell. Light on mains switch still works indicating mains reaching input point, but no output.

as it is obviously a controlled output charger designed for van use, and no circuit diagram supplied with it, advice is that a replacement unit is required..

does anyone know of suitable repair or replacement unit. Van is starburst on 08 plate , and Autocruise of course have gone.

Any bright idesa for replacement or repair suggestions please.

tonyg3nwl

spelling error edit.

I have a charger/mains unit from a 2005 Autocruise Starlet 2 (Marquis version of the Starburst) in my garage, it was replaced under warranty for having faulty fuse holders, the charger was OK. Free to good home. Send me a pm.

Just seen that your mates van is a 2008, so mine is probably not the same.

Have you checked the leisure battery. It may have shorted out and/or burnt out the inline fuse (if there is one).

My onboard charger hums when starting up or when on heavy load. Also, has the battery been renewed since 2008 ???

It may be worth checking the battery first before spending money on a new charger.

Update on the problem, and solution.

Chris found the manufacturer, name of Amperor, and they looked them up on internet. They are based in Scotland

complete identical charger availeble for 75 pounds,..ordered on friday, delivered on Saturday, .

just returned from visiting, and confirned that it is indeed identical to original unit, so assisted Chris to fit it and subsequent testing..

problem solved..anothet happy motorhomer, and thanks to Amperor for excellent service.

tonyg3nwl.

Archived