Freeview ???

suethedriver

Follow on to my original post.... Went to currys yesterday to look at small lcd flat screen tvs . ( not 12v unfortunately) Assistant said that if you didnt have a good house type aerial then lcd`s might not get a picture as they need lots more power than a tubed tv and if it didnt work on my motorhome areial then i couldnt bring it back. Has anyone got any experience on this ? I will not be buying a standard tv but just thought i`d look at sizes on the real thing before looking for a 12v version probably online.

The Currys numptie is telling you absolute cobblers Sue. The type of display has nothing at all to do with the sets reception abilities. That is determined by the tuner section inside the set. You do need a good quality aerial and in general I personally don't rate the flying saucer type. A decent quality directional aerial will serve you better. The Status 530 series or Teleplus from CAK tanks are a reasonalbe compromise of quality and convenience but if you want reliably good performance you'd do better with a free standing 10 element wideband job. D.

Is Freeview only in the UK? Thinking of getting a USB adaptor to work with my laptop, but am not really interested in TV in the UK (part of the change/break is to get away from the TV). Any comments or suggestions about TV in Europe?

As Dave said there is usually no difference between an LCD tv and any CRT tv for reception. There are some tvs - both CRT and LCD which have better tuners than others usually because they have a signal booster built in. One such was the old Goodmans 10" CRT which had a really good booster. You will only be able to get a second hand one now. If you have a problem there are plenty of good boosted aerials available. - I am not a fan of the Status offerings as their boosters seem to max at 16db - we use one which we bought in France which has a 36db gain and works well even on sites where they offer to hire a lead to their aerials as the signal is poor.

Mover , No offence intended . I was just trying to say that I like the telly . I find that once I have watched a DVD I put it away for years . As for the WW2 bit I,m only young still have lot's to learn .. ;-) I have even taken to going to the War graves and paying my respects. In Arromanches les bains we went to the museum and I found myself standing next to a man who had fought on the DDay beaches . He had his grandchildren there with him . He was explaining it away with tears in his eye's . So I had to walk away from what we were looking at as I to had started to cry for his lost. I find that as I get older I now realise never before has so many owed so few ........Winston you know the rest. I find it really humbleing .Anyway I realise it's not everyones thing . So sorry if I have bored you to death. You do the DvD's I will do the telly haha.... ;-)

Archived