Solar to operate garage door operator

HymerVan

A bit off topic for my usual Motorhome posts but I wondered if anyone can help and put me in the right direction.

Is what we are proposing feasible, sensible and likely to be cost effective ?

We have recently sold our flat but retained a separate garage at the foot of the garden. As a result we will lose the mains power supply to the garage. The garage has 13 amp socket, lights and a mains powered door opener. The total cost of bringing in mains will be circa £5K which is prohibitive. We are wondering if we can retain mains lights (LED bulbs) and operate door by means of a big battery/inverter/solar panel.

The door opener we have is modern and some models have a 12v (in some cases 24v) backup module but ours does not hence the need to provide a 240v AC supply if it is to be retained. The door draws quite a small amount of power and only for about 60secs at a time. i am broadly familiar with concepts of how solar works, its limitations in winter etc but wonder what other challenges there might be e.g. will the activator motor insist on clean electricity.

HymerVan - 2015-11-27 7:25 AM

A bit off topic for my usual Motorhome posts but I wondered if anyone can help and put me in the right direction.

Is what we are proposing feasible, sensible and likely to be cost effective ?

We have recently sold our flat but retained a separate garage at the foot of the garden. As a result we will lose the mains power supply to the garage. The garage has 13 amp socket, lights and a mains powered door opener. The total cost of bringing in mains will be circa £5K which is prohibitive. We are wondering if we can retain mains lights (LED bulbs) and operate door by means of a big battery/inverter/solar panel.

The door opener we have is modern and some models have a 12v (in some cases 24v) backup module but ours does not hence the need to provide a 240v AC supply if it is to be retained. The door draws quite a small amount of power and only for about 60secs at a time. i am broadly familiar with concepts of how solar works, its limitations in winter etc but wonder what other challenges there might be e.g. will the activator motor insist on clean electricity.

Cold you not put a meter on your supply, and then pay the householder for the usage? Or just come to an agreement on cost. Do you intend to work in garage, and use much electricity? If not just to open the door, may be easier to change the door?

PJay

Not practicable to install sub-meter (consent wayleaves, convenenience etc) and cost would still be around £1000. Door cost £1700 so keen to use if possible. Garage won't be used for work but lighting would be useful. Also power for battery charging. I will be de-automating door (cost around £200) which will make the garage useable but prepared to spend a bit to get other functionalities.

Archived