Motorhome Storage Insurance

IanSue

Hi

I am looking to store my motorhome in Spain in secure storage for up to 8 weeks whilst I fly home thereby saving a long and expensive journey in the winter. My insurance company will not insure the vehicle whilst it is storage out of the UK. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so have they managed to resolve it satisfactorily?

• 2 weeks later...

At moment my MH is parked in secure parking at Alicante airport which ticked all the boxes required by my insurance company and will be there for about 12 weeks. This is the third year I have parked it there and although the parking has its own insurance my insurance company charges me £50 for the privilege ??? I queried this with them this year and they indicated that they now limit parking to 30 days but as an existing customer they would make exception. In future I will just leave MH and use parking insurance.

The same company also require you, within their T&Cs, to you notify them if you leave MH more than 3 days unattended even in UK. I asked how many did and received no reply

The storage facility I use in Spain offers insurance as well. However, being a cynic I am not aware of anyone ever actually making a claim against it, mainly because luckily no one has had any major damage etc. Also the vast majority of outfits being stored are of an ederly vintage and so the value is not so great anymore. But In the event of making a claim, will it be honoured??? I do not know so all I can suggest is you make your own choice and if you have a very valuable motorhome and doubts, then try to get personal cover. Costly yes, but in the long run maybe better than trying to claim through a Spanish Court of Law.

Perhaps he/she is not in a position to check the forum. I sometimes go a while before I come on the forum.I have been registered on it for several years but I am only classed as 'regular visitor'. Although having posted a thread I do check for any replies as soon as possible.

John

• 6 months later...

All I would suggest is if you have concerns over insurance is to ask to see a ciopy of the Policy. If it is in Spanish get it translated. If it is not available??? then make your own decision. I have noticed that the majority of people who leave their caravans where I usually stay have vans that are what one could describe as ... past their sell buy date, and so the insurance aspect is not a critical factor. If it works, then fine, if not well c'est la vie, as they say inSpain. They don't??? ok got that wrong. Actually almost none of the storage vans are motorhomes, nearly all caravans. Again, as many store for a year do you really want your motorhome to sit idle for 9 months??

If it is short term storage you want why not ask the site? In July a lot of sites have spaces as it is too hot and you can leave it on a pitch while you fly home for a few weeks. It is as safe as anywhere. Just be aware it will be hot inside when you get back so make sure all food is removed.

All I would suggest is if you have concerns over insurance is to ask to see a ciopy of the Policy. If it is in Spanish get it translated. If it is not available??? then make your own decision. I have noticed that the majority of people who leave their caravans where I usually stay have vans that are what one could describe as ... past their sell buy date, and so the insurance aspect is not a critical factor. If it works, then fine, if not well c'est la vie, as they say inSpain. They don't??? ok got that wrong. Actually almost none of the storage vans are motorhomes, nearly all caravans. Again, as many store for a year do you really want your motorhome to sit idle for 9 months??

If it is short term storage you want why not ask the site? In July a lot of sites have spaces as it is too hot and you can leave it on a pitch while you fly home for a few weeks. It is as safe as anywhere. Just be aware it will be hot inside when you get back so make sure all food is removed.

Dave225 - 2016-07-06 8:08 PM

Sorry the forum is misbehaving and submitting posts yet advising me that there is a problem. So I repeta it and of course get double posting

Archived