First family motor home

Nathan73

globebuster - 2015-12-06 12:26 PM

Take a long hard look at any Elddis or Swift group products -

Both now claim to have improved assembly techniques, but this is fairly recent with SoLiD from Elddis and whatever Swift call theirs.

Unfortunately, it would appear a lot of British built vans suffer from inherent design flaws in construction methods. Hopefully the recent changes will resolve this, although I'm yet to be convinced....

I'll add that I don't have a 'downer' on British manufacturers - indeed some continental vans are less than perfect, but my personal observations are that some of our major builders have not done a great job in the past....

For 30K and at this time of year, you should be able to find a later model van if you do the research - although not being on the mainland might be more of a struggle.

Good Luck with the search.

Hi thanks for the advice,origionally from the Wirral and the plan is to do initial looking on line then take a little road trip to view in the flesh and finalise a deal

With advice we've been getting I've decided to look at other makes, Autotrail Apache 700, and a Bessacarr E495, found a few round the 07/08 for my budget.

I'm probably not the best person to give you advice as we are very new to motorhoming. However we have got 2 children; they are both teenage boys.

We looked at many layout and decided on bunk beds in the end. When they were younger they would have shared a bed but this novelty soon wears off! They argue and we get cross!! Also with bunk beds they have their own little area - the bunks even have curtains round so they can be well and truly antisocial at times if they want.

We spent a lot of times looking at various layouts. We didn't want anything too big. We settled on a Pilote Atlantis A5 which has fixed bunks at one side of the back, a bathroom and kitchen opposite then a half dinette at the front (this is good for us as a full dinette doesn't give much leg space for 2 long legged children and 2 adults) and also a side bench.

We've only used it a couple of times so far but are really pleased with how it all works for us.

There is one for sale here https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/for-sale/motorhomes/pilote-atlantis-a5-peugeot/907580 just so you can see the layout. I have to say ours was much cheaper than this; a year older but less miles and in very good condition from a private seller.

I hope this waffle all helps!

Two North West dealers I have heard good reports from others are Spinneys in Cheshire and Todds up near Preston. Neither stock the models we buy but when we visit to do window shopping or look for accessories, I've always found them welcoming.

You will probably pay about £5,000 more at a dealer than privately, which covers a lot of repairs.

We were lucky that ours still had two and a half year's warranty as the PO had changed their mind after their first trip. Many do just that, so it pays to look around.

There are scams of course, but sensible precautions sift them out quickly.

Now is a good time to make a low offer.

Archived