Autotrail Mohican's and max gross weight

Kristy

Hi,

I'm wondering if those in the know can help me. I'm wondering why most Mohican's I've seen are plated at 3850kg but then others ( though they do seem older models ) are apparently plated at 3400kg? They seem to be the same length, height, etc. I just don't understand it.

Thanks in advance!

I've looked back through AT's brochures to 2003, and all are at or over 3,800kg, the older ones being on the Mercedes Sprinter base. How far back have you been looking? 3,400kg would leave very little payload indeed, to the point at which I think the van would be unusable. Possibly a mistake?

Go far enough back and Mohican’s were evidently built on a 3400kg chassis. Advert for a 1998 example here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Autotrail-Mohican-4-Berth-Fiat-DUCATO-2-5-TDI-Cheyenne-/111769755908

It’s a bit like Volkswagen Golfs. The Golf Mk 1 was pretty light; the Mk 2 was heavier; the Mk 3 was even heavier, etc. The cars were all VWs and all called “Golf”, but they were in fact significantly different vehicles and their weights differed accordingly.

Earlier Auto-Trail Mohicans were built on a 3400kg chassis and later ones on a 3800kg/3850kg chassis. Some Mohicans were built on Fiat chassis; others on Mercedes chassis. Fiat 3400kg Mohicans, Fiat 3850kg Mohicans and Mercedes 3800kg Mohicans are not the same vehicle, even though they might have roughly the same dimensions.

There’s nothing really to understand - it’s just the way it is...

Archived