European Breakdown Cover - 90 days plus single trip

audiseller

Probably been covered many times before but as a relative newbie on here please humour me. I am looking for the above for my 5tonne GVW motorhome for longer than the usual 90 days offered by most companies. I see that Comfort Insurance claim to offer unlimited cover for one year for their insured clients but as they then say it is with the RAC I am dubious as the RAC tell me categorically that their single trip limit is 90 days.

We are with Comfort, and I believe that the same rules apply as the last post. Technically, 365 days a year European cover, with any single trip 270 days. in theory, the RAC would not be interested in your length of time abroad, but would want you to be insured. I personally don't have a problem with that.

audiseller - 2015-12-02 7:43 PM

Probably been covered many times before but as a relative newbie on here please humour me. I am looking for the above for my 5tonne GVW motorhome for longer than the usual 90 days offered by most companies. I see that Comfort Insurance claim to offer unlimited cover for one year for their insured clients but as they then say it is with the RAC I am dubious as the RAC tell me categorically that their single trip limit is 90 days.

The breakdown cover is written into Comfort's standard terms and conditions: it is not a separate agreement with RAC. Aviva, who are the underwriter for Comfort's insurances, used until fairly recently to own RAC. The relationship persists. All RAC do is provide the physical breakdown cover in UK, the rest is simply written into the insurance. If you break down abroad it will in any case be a local recovery firm who respond, RAC merely co-ordinate the rescue. Why not explain to Comfort what you want, ask them what the premium would be for the trip duration you are considering, and ask them to send you a sample of the insurance booklet so you can read it yourself? Beyond a certain time away they regard the insurance as being for "full timing" when the terms change somewhat, so you'll need to find out if you're getting into that territory.

Has anyone taken up the Nationwide Flex Account offer which includes free roadside repair and recovery at home and Europe, it covers up to 8 metres or 7.5 tonnes 180 days in a year for any vehicle that the holder is in or any vehicle registered to the owner driven by someone else. I'm sure there's someone here that will be able to point out the gaping flaws in this offer.

http://tinyurl.com/j8pqawd

Brian Kirby - 2015-12-03 7:07 PM

audiseller - 2015-12-02 7:43 PM

The breakdown cover is written into Comfort's standard terms and conditions: it is not a separate agreement with RAC. Aviva, who are the underwriter for Comfort's insurances, used until fairly recently to own RAC. The relationship persists. All RAC do is provide the physical breakdown cover in UK, the rest is simply written into the insurance. If you break down abroad it will in any case be a local recovery firm who respond, RAC merely co-ordinate the rescue. Why not explain to Comfort what you want, ask them what the premium would be for the trip duration you are considering, and ask them to send you a sample of the insurance booklet so you can read it yourself? Beyond a certain time away they regard the insurance as being for "full timing" when the terms change somewhat, so you'll need to find out if you're getting into that territory.

When you say it is written into the insurance presumably a continental recovery would constitute an insurance claim then? I'm actually only looking for 4 months cover but 90 days seems to be the norm.

The info on Comfort's breakdown cover is in the policy book on their website, there are no restricions on weight or size. You can only buy the breakdown cover with the insurance poilcy it costs £58, may work out cheaper for you to change your insurance to Comfort.

audiseller - 2015-12-03 10:13 PM.......................When you say it is written into the insurance presumably a continental recovery would constitute an insurance claim then? I'm actually only looking for 4 months cover but 90 days seems to be the norm.

No, what I really meant is that the breakdown and recovery terms and conditions are included in the Comfort policy booklet. The cover is optional (at £58 as Lenny says), and if you don't want the cover that section of the policy becomes inoperative. It is not a "stand-alone" breakdown service. No, it doesn't constitute a claim under the policy, there is no discount or penalty for claiming or not claiming on the breakdown section. However, if you had a van that was unusually unreliable, I suspect Comfort would decline to provide breakdown cover at renewal time. As Lenny suggests have a look at the booklet on their website, or as I suggested above, ask them for a copy with a quote.

Thanks guys,

I'll have a conversation with Comfort but looks like a change of insurer in March is probably on the cards. Shame really because I like to keep the business with the CC and have 2 other vehicles with them at the moment but if they can't give members what they want at a realistic price then so be it.

bigrab1888 - 2015-12-05 9:44 PM

My European breakdown cover with caravan guard is £40 and as I stated previously comes with no restrictions :-D

Caravan Guard are a bit picky on what they will cover, they refused to quote me as my van was a personal import.

Archived