Parking in Nerja

Mackyjane

We are going to Spain in our van in January and want to visit Nerja where some friends have rented an apartment. The only campsite is quite far from where they will be, so does anyone know if there is anywhere where motorhomes can overnight in the town? I know there is nowhere official, but is there anywhere that is tolerated in the winter?

In the centre of Nerja there is a large car park that you can easily park a Motorhome on, we have wild camped on it [FREE }  staying several nights, it is a short walk to the beach from it, we were there this year March and found it is now PAY but one can still overnight there.

The delightful little village of Maro just a few minutes drive outside Nerja has a nice free car park overlooking the coast and sea with café restaurant close by. No facilities but perfect for the odd night stop over. Check it out on Google earth. B-)

I live in Nerja permanently and I can tell you that the Council does not like motorhomes parking here for free.

You might be able to do one night wild camping near the Puento Viejo but you will be moved on when they notice you. You can also park in the car park in the centre of town but this will cost you about 13 euros for 24 hours and is not necessarily secure.

There is a campsite on the coast road which is about 15 mins walk along the beach to Nerja.

It's called Cortijo San Miguel and costs 18 euros per night including electricity and also excellent internet reception. Very secure and quiet behind locked gates.

John Edward - 2015-12-08 10:30 PM

I live in Nerja permanently and I can tell you that the Council does not like motorhomes parking here for free.

You might be able to do one night wild camping near the Puento Viejo but you will be moved on when they notice you. You can also park in the car park in the centre of town but this will cost you about 13 euros for 24 hours and is not necessarily secure.

There is a campsite on the coast road which is about 15 mins walk along the beach to Nerja.

It's called Cortijo San Miguel and costs 18 euros per night including electricity and also excellent internet reception. Very secure and quiet behind locked gates.

John

Could you give sat nav points for place, please?

PJay

John Edward - 2015-12-08 10:30 PM

Ahhh the truth will out. Thank you John

The campsite mentioned is, I think, listed in the guides as Camping Nerja, and is about three miles from the centre of Nerja. Pitches are a bit small, the owners speak good English (one of them is Irish) and it's in a excellent location near the village of Maro, and the caves.

I'd like to reply to the last post.

Can I just reiterate that the Nerja campsite I suggested, Cortijo San Miguel, is not in Maro. I know the campsite in Maro and, if you don't have alternative transport, it is about a 3 mile walk along a main road into Nerja.

The other campsite nearest Nerja is Camping El Pino in Torrox. Do not confuse Torrox with Torrox Costa. There is about 2 miles difference between them.

Camping El Pino in Torrox is about one mile inland, all uphill!! Once you're there, it's very nice and has 2 local bars which frequently have live music and entertainment but you are a bit cut off from the coast.

Somebody else has already posted the satnav coordinates for Cortijo San Miguel, Nerja. Their website seems to be down at the moment but their email address is info@cortijosanmiguel.com. If you do email, please use simple English as the manager, Helena, is Portugese and has limited English. However, I'm sure she could find somebody to translate the email for her.

We have stayed there many times in our motorhome when our villa has been overflowing with family visitors and it's been an oasis of peace.

It is also known as an Aula de Naturaleza which literally translates as a "nature classroom". This means that, occasionally, groups of local school children spend a couple of hours there studying all the different varieties of trees that are planted on the site. It is in the middle of avocado trees and you can help yourself to avocados, apples, oranges, lemons, figs, guavas etc.

Just an update on parking in the centre of Nerja. I was there today and made a note of the parking charges. It's 12 euros for 24 hours and 20 euros for 48 hours (low season rates).

It's accessed by an automatic barrier where you take a ticket and you pay at a machine when you exit. It's a large open area surrounded by apartments and hotels and is used as a short cut by locals and holidaymakers returning home, also by dog walkers after dark. I would suggest a good alarm system if you decide to park there.

One more note about wild parking in Nerja. Whilst driving along the coast road (N340) in the direction of Torrox during the last 3 weeks, I have noticed a few motorhomes parked in a car park adjacent to Playazo Beach in Nerja. Please be aware that the height barriers were dismantled in October by the Circus Lorries that were stationed there. It's only a matter of time before Nerja Council reinstates the height barriers to allow cars only.

As usual, we will be back in the UK next summer to escape the heat so, if anyone sees a Spanish registered Rimor at the shows, please come and say hello.

John

Archived