Windscreen wipers.....it's not the relay,it's not the motor !!!!

trickydicky

I had a problem on a 2004 Ducato when I did not use the wipers for a while. The spindles had seized up but the application of a penetrating fluid left to soak in for a while eventually freed them up and regular use returned them to normal.

I had a problem on a 2004 Ducato when I did not use the wipers for a while. The spindles had seized up but the application of a penetrating fluid left to soak in for a while eventually freed them up and regular use returned them to normal.

I have had this problem before. When you apply current to the motor it works but when it is connected to the vehicle loom, nothing happens.

This is because the motor unit incorporates the decision making bit that controls the speed of the motor and the intermittent function.

I am 99% sure that if the wiring is ok, the problem will be resolved with a new motor. It's the control circuit that is knackered. There is no way that you have worn out the control stalk. I have not seen that on 7 year old 300,000 mile vans!

The above applies to vehicles that have the standard Fiat motor. If the Hymer has a different set up; i may still be right.

trickydicky - 2015-12-03 7:13 PM

We have a hymer 2008 on a fiat chassis and the wipers stopped working completely after playing up a bit. Tried the obvious,a fuse, then a new relay, and then removed the motor which has tested ok. any ideas on what to try next would be much appreciated.

Tricky,

A Google search bought up this MHF thread... http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ducato-2012-wiper-problem.78015/ which finally arrived at a faulty earth, worth checking!

Keith.

Edit to add: It seems quite likely that your wiper motor is a Hymer part and not Fiat.

Archived