First winter trip to Spain.Advice very much appreciated

tinah

We've just booked Portsmouth Santander for 22nd January arriving 17.30 the next day. We'll be heading down to camping Marjal at Guardarmar which we have booked for the 25th.

Any advice would be really appreciated. We've been looking into an overnight stay near the port as we don't want to travel far in the dark . Would anyone recommend the aire at Lierganes? Unsure how far to aim to travel the next day but will depend on how fresh we feel and if we were seasick I suppose.

I'm now putting together a list of things to take with us (we forgot the seat for my bike on our trip to France last year!). Is there anything out of the ordinary that we should include?

Getting quite excited as the time will now fly.

Can't help with stopping places as we always travel through France.

But have to say , you have picked a nice site, to stay. The only small point against it for us, was the need for transport, as the villages are the other side of the river, and it is a long walk to get across to the other side. If you have bikes, not a problem. We only went once , as where on our way to visit friends, in Granada, but have said we would go back again. Good luck on your trip, sure to get good weather

PJay

Another recommendation for Cabarceno. The Aire is not that big and on a slope but most park alongside the lake 100 yds or so from the official Aire. Cabarceno is a wildlife park and you can see and hear the elephant enclosure from the Aire and lake area. Cabarceno is less than 20 miles from santader and there is plenty of room whetever time you arrive.

There is a stop/aire (Spanish Style) in Santander near the port but its on an industrial estate so might not suit your needs but could be really handy for an overnight to catch the ferry home. Have a look here on Google earth.

43.443381° -3.837463°

Lierganes is a bit run down around the water and empty point last time we where there but the car park is ok for a stop over ,not stopped at Carberceno but it sounds good.

Just bring some warm fleeces and jumpers and a good duvet ..just got back from a coffee on the front at Guardamar its a bit chilly today but the sun will soon be back with us ...have a good trip

Brian K

Thanks for the advice. We booked the site because it had good comments on forums and are taking bikes (with seats!). We may hire a car for a while if it's not too expensive.

I shall look at the aires suggested now.

Archived