Route round Paris

DonB

In early Feb we intend to drive from Calais to Spain via Paris for the first time. Is there a preferred route round Paris down to Orleans or just go into the ring road from the A1 (I think this is the Peripherique) round Paris and out onto the A10 to Orleans?

Dave225 - 2015-12-15 3:35 PM

Curious to know why you wish to go through Paris, unless you want to visit.. Most people I suspect head down yjr A28 to Rouen, N154 across to Chartres and then over to Orleans. Much simpler.

We use exactly the route Dave225 described - steer well clear of Paris, unless you have a specific reason to go there.

It works well for us.

And with the difficulties around Calais at the moment, we often overnight in the caravan area (plenty of MHs there too) at the Baie de Somme motorways services, just north of Abbeville, on the A28 toll section - it's well away from the noise of the service area, has a pleasant outlook, and the police patrol regularly through the night. See the link:

http://tinyurl.com/gs4z49m

Mike

Billggski - 2015-12-15 7:29 PM

It must be frustrating to ask for a route via Paris and be told not to go that way, it's like the man who asked for directions to be told "I wouldn't start from here".

Hopefully, the OP - DonB - will come back and let us know if he actually needs to go via Paris. But with the responses in this thread he's got suggestions for both options.

If you use Google maps or your sat-nav to route south from Calais, it most often sends you through Paris. But many motorhomers prefer to steer clear of the capital altogether - we certainly do if we can. On the occasions we have been into Paris in the van it has not been an especially enjoyable experience. Others may view it differently, however.

Mike

We have travelled the Paris route many times, at all times of the day and night, if you are a competent and experienced driver there are no particular problems, sometimes the traffic can be heavy, it's all part of the fun. To drive round a curve or come over a hill and see the Eifel Tower pop up in front of you is magic, and although the traffic is heavy at times it is generally possible to make good time, with few holdups. The reason it comes up as the best route on most satnavs is because it's the quickest and easiest route.

We did try the western route once but there were endless poorly signposted diversions and bad holdups, we could see no reason to risk it again.

AGD

Thank you all for your replies, they were just what I was hoping for. I have driven from Calais to Spain/Portugal on several different routes but never via Paris, so I thought for a change we could go that way. I have often had problems getting past Rouen with tunnel closures, diversions etc. But having heard comments about the Peripherique over the years I thought I would ask on here. I have noticed another road round Paris, A104/N104, does anyone know anything about that? Once again, thanks to all.

Probably not directly relevant to the OP in this instance but I was caught out coming round the west of Paris, the Sat Nav tried to force me down a Tunnel on the A86 which has a height limit of only 2 metres. I did not see any signs warning of this until I got to the entrance and had to make a sharp turn off the carriageway to avoid the height markers hanging down over the carriageway.

I am sure I am not the first person on here who has been caught out by this but I have never seen any threads warning not to travel that way.

There is a web site about the tunnel construction, see link below.

http://tollroadsnews.com/news/french-low-ceiling-tunnelways-of-duplex-a86-comfortable-to-drive-not-claustrophic

I've only used the periphique once in the Moho, but regularly in a car and find it better than the M25 if you time it right. It is busy and confusing but keeps moving. I always go to the east, sometimes staying near a station so I can go into the city and the kids the other way to Eurodisney.

The view of Sacre Coeur and the Eiffel Tower is great as you cross the Seine.

Just another thought, although we have been using the same old Garmin satnav for years, and I always set it up the same way, ie if were outward bound I simply put in the destination in France or where ever, and on our return I would put in the home address, it would automatically assume that we would travel by Eurotunnel and it would always route us via Paris. Remarkably we never seemed to take the same route across Paris twice, and I don't recall ever using the Periferique.

It normally takes about 60 to 90 mins to cross Paris, dependent on the time of day, it took 4 hours on the one occasion that we tried Rouen. Sorry, digital error( put finger on wrong key)

AGD4

A little play with my favourite toy: the late, lamented, AutoRoute! :-) All to nearest 5 miles/15 mins. No breaks included in driving times.

5 possible routes to three possible destinations on French/Spanish border.

1. Tunnel terminal France to St-Jean-de-Luz via Rouen. 655 miles, 11:15 hours driving. (Autoroute reckons this the fastest route, so no Paris route set)

2. Ditto to Vielha tunnel via Paris. 710 miles, 12:15 hours driving.

3. Ditto to ditto via Rouen/Orleans. 710 miles, 13 hours driving.

4. Ditto to Le Perthus via Paris. 725 miles, 12:15 hours driving.

5. Ditto to ditto via Rouen/Orleans. 730 miles, 12:45 hours driving.

All use quickest route, inc toll roads.

Repeating route to eliminate toll roads, but otherwise quickest roads.

1. 680 miles, 14:15 hours.

3. 726 miles, 15:30 hours. (Rejects option for Paris if avoiding tolls. Using my route through Rouen)

4. 740 miles, 15:30 hours.

5. 750 miles, 15:45 hours. (Using my route through Rouen.)

Not that much difference overall, in reality: 75 miles and about half a day of driving time.

My route through Rouen avoids the centre and leaves the A28/D6028 to take the D6015 down the east bank of the Seine to Tourville-La-Riviere. This is reasonably quick, and has not (at least when I've used it) been subject to the bridge delays.

An interesting read, thanks for the experiment.

I find the problem is when there are some toll sections that are worth the cost, I know Abbeville is one, Millau is another, and over the Pyrenees by Perpignon, and I gather some routes down the west coast save a lot of time.

But I don't know a sat nav can do this, you just need experience of different routes.

N154? Not used it for a few years so perhaps the relief Road (?) they were constructing on its route has been completed.

I found it both smashing and an absolute pain, some good unbroken stretches and endless roundabouts to even it up.

An up to date good quality sat nav around the periphique is essential in my view, plus if it's warm, air con on full blast to keep your brow cool...

So, no preference really.

Martyn

Hi Brian, my sat nav does either toll routes or non toll routes, yours must be good if it can calculate which tolls are worth paying.

There are some blogs which give information about the most efficient routes although I must admit I tend to wander down and change my mind depending on the weather, and sometimes just toss a coin.

If the original enquiry was about going to Orleans I'd actually go to the west through Chartres and avoid Paris.

I plan routes head Bill, and, if I decide to add in a bit of toll (rarely! :-)), I add in a stop (waypoint) at the toll station entrance where I want to join (most have a car park of some sort), and another at the toll station exit where I want to leave. Drive to entrance non-toll, stop, change to allow tolls, drive to exit, stop after paying, change back to non-tolls, and away we go. Easy!

Re Paris and Orleans, I agree. Rouen, then down via Chartres. It may, or may not, take a few minutes longer, but one will never know unless two vans set off at the same time taking each route, and even then it would probably be different an hour later, earlier, or the next or previous day. In the grand scheme of things, irrelevant. However, Rouen and Chartres is definitely cheaper: no tolls at all! :-D

Archived