National Motorhome Awards results announced

Duncan MMM

Sorry Duncan but it seems to me that these awards have little to do with the practicalities of actually living in any of the vans chosen in the UK climate and much more to do with the whims of the judges.

Has anyone ever asked the owners what they think and how the vans work in the real world as some of the features seem to be a triumph of form over function?

On the positive side, there is not a single van there that I would swap or even p/x my own van for so many thanks for saving me a load of cash!

Happy Christmas!!

Duncan - As usual the awards are based on a very restricted number of entries which therefore provides no guide to where the entries stand in the overall market. I would much prefer to see a competition where the established favourites were listed and the newcomers compared to these.

Ron

Duncan MMM - 2015-12-17 12:13 PM

The results have been announced for the National Motorhome Awards 2016.

Surely they're just the 'Warners Group Motorhome Awards' as all the publications and URLs used belong to Warners?

I might have my own 'National Motorhome Awards' shortly..

ron. - 2015-12-17 2:49 PM

Duncan - As usual the awards are based on a very restricted number of entries which therefore provides no guide to where the entries stand in the overall market. I would much prefer to see a competition where the established favourites were listed and the newcomers compared to these.

Ron

The Awards are for new motorhomes, launched this year for the 2016 season. Almost every new motorhome launched went into consideration in all the categories. The judges looked at well over 200 new motorhomes.

The Awards are not a review of the marketplace.

Steve928 - 2015-12-17 3:01 PM

Surely they're just the 'Warners Group Motorhome Awards' as all the publications and URLs used belong to Warners?

I might have my own 'National Motorhome Awards' shortly..

Feel free, but as MMM outsells Practical Motorhome 3-1 and is the UK's biggest selling motorhome magazine, like it or not, they carry more weight than any other award by any other magazine.

Tracker - 2015-12-17 2:44 PM

Sorry Duncan but it seems to me that these awards have little to do with the practicalities of actually living in any of the vans chosen in the UK climate and much more to do with the whims of the judges.

Has anyone ever asked the owners what they think and how the vans work in the real world as some of the features seem to be a triumph of form over function?

On the positive side, there is not a single van there that I would swap or even p/x my own van for so many thanks for saving me a load of cash!

Happy Christmas!!

Your opinion is always welcome Rich but as the judges have been motorhoming for over 30 years each, their opinions are based on how practical each feature will actually be in the real world, not just what looks shiny and exciting (which would be my approach).

And a Happy New Year to you too. :-D

Duncan, may I respectfully suggest that there is a world of difference between journalists who have all allegedly have been motorhoming for over 30 years and those amongst us real world owner/users who have repeatedly sunk their own money into their own van in their own attempts to achieve perfection for just as many years!

What is right for one person is never going to be right for another which, to me at least, makes a mockery of multiple judges agreeing on which van is or is not superior or inferior to any other and for that reason alone, for me at least, these awards will always have more to do with selling magazines than they ever will have to what is the right motorhome for any individual when it is based on some body else's point of view!

It would be interesting to see in 12 months time the UK sales volumes that these award winning vans have achieved in comparison to the non award winning vans that were rejected and perhaps an award should be given to the best selling vans in each category for the previous year as well?

I wonder how that sort of comparison would work when related to last years winners and last years sales?

Archived