When TV broadcasts go digital

Gypsy

[QUOTE]Philman - 2006-11-11 2:03 PM Hi Gypsy, the Digibox is normally used in conjunction with a satellite dish. As far as I know the changeover from Analogue to Digital TV will not affect satellite signals it only affects terrestrial TV. Phil.[/QUOTE]Not true. A Freeview Digibox is used with an ariel,a Satellite Digibox is ued with , guess what.

I know that the term Digibox is now being used for the Freeview digital set top box. It was originally the trademark for the Sky Receiver. I used the word 'normally' to try and ensure that Gypsy would not confuse the 2 boxes and think that a Sky Digibox could be used. Sorry I spoke. Phil.

Thanks folks for all the helpful comments. As for the last one - I thought "unidirectional" is the opposite of "multidirectional" and I have a Status unidirectional aerial - sort of pointy spade shaped with FM antennae sticking out from the sides. I shove it up from within the wardrobe and can rotate it vertically and horizontally to obtain the best signal. Is this OK for digital reception with a Freeview box? Sorry to be so thick - all this technical stuff is as much as I can manage! :D

Hi, We have the Status Mushroom type Ariel with a £29 Freeview box from Argos and when there is a signal it works very very well, even on some CC sites where they say the signal strength is poor and have the Ariel posts we have used the Status Ariel and obtained 60+ channels, on Friday we were at Burnham on the Unity site and we were receiving 62 channels perfectly Hope that helps (you do need a scart socket on your TV)

Gypsy Omni-directional ariels are the ones like flying saucers, it sounds like you have a directional one which you can move around to get a better signal. If it is one of the later models it might receive digital TV - our Status 530 does - but I'm not sure about the earlier ones - what model is it please? *-) Peter - I haven't ever had a satellite set-up so wouldn't know that a Digibox was only for satellite. Phil - don't apologise, Peter was being a bit of a clever dick (lol) ... some of us haven't a clue!!!

The aerial is of the Status 5 series; don't know exactly which model number as Lily is in store at present and I can't check. I do know that it is the longer/taller of the two 5 models available. From all the posts I reckon I will be able to receive digital freeview signals with an onboard freeview box. So now I need to start investigating these! Just a thought - I have a freeview digi box plumbed in at home. Would I be able to unplumb it and use it in Lily? Might save a little lolly that way!

Hi, Gypsy Defenintly the way to go, its not worth purcahsing a new one just unplug it and plug it in in the MH, albeit they are doing some very small units now which could be better if you have limited space in the MH hope this helps Brian [QUOTE]Gypsy - 2006-11-14 9:11 AM The aerial is of the Status 5 series; don't know exactly which model number as Lily is in store at present and I can't check. I do know that it is the longer/taller of the two 5 models available. From all the posts I reckon I will be able to receive digital freeview signals with an onboard freeview box. So now I need to start investigating these! Just a thought - I have a freeview digi box plumbed in at home. Would I be able to unplumb it and use it in Lily? Might save a little lolly that way![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-11-13 7:05 PM Peter - I haven't ever had a satellite set-up so wouldn't know that a Digibox was only for satellite. Phil - don't apologise, Peter was being a bit of a clever dick (lol) ... some of us haven't a clue!!![/QUOTE]Mel B (1) I didn't say a Digibox was only for Satellite. (2) I wasn't trying to be a clever dick as you put it, just stating the facts to try and help avoid confusion.

It is not true the omni directional aerial (flying saucer) is no good for receiving Freeview (terrestial digital TV) signals. It is in fact better at receiving digital signals than analogue providing there is sufficient signal strength. Here in lies the rub because current digital transmitter powers are low and in areas of weak sig strength a directional aerial like the 510 will out perform the omni which may not get anything at all. The disadvantage of the directional aerial is you must know were to point it because unlike the analogue signals you cannot rotate your aerial for best signal and picture quality. (unless your freeview box has a signal strength indicator) With digital you either have perfect picture or you don't, there is no in between. When they finally stop transmitting analogue and increase the digital transmitter powers the omni may well come into its own being the much easier aerial to use???? peedee

This has got me to thinking (oh dear), how often have you been in an area for poor analoge tv reception? for me this is quite often. When digital strenghts are increased they will not be any higher than analoge so, where as now you might have to watch a slightly fuzzy picture, with DTT you will not get any picture or it will be allways breaking up. This means a decent directional arial will be needed, but to get best out of it, or even a chance of retuning for what ever transmitter, then a signal meter will be required, as unlike satellite you will not be able to rely on meter on box as the channels are diferrent for each tv transmitter, looking around the cheapest meter I can find for this is £65, does any one know of a chaeper meter. The 'proper' DTT ones start at around £140 for a very basic model and £250 for a good one, but I think a normal SWR meter for UHF will suffice for a motor home with easlily ajustable arial.

Not so Colin. You need less received signal strength on digital for an excellent picture than on analgue. The levels at which you will not get anything are really quite low. My Box has facilities for looking at signal strength and quality but I have never yet used it to optimise reception and whilst the channels are different they still all come from the same direction, optimise one and all the others should be optimal. I cheat and look at the analogue first!!!!! Cannot help you with a meter, I am not totally convinced they will be necessary but they would probably make life easier. peedee

I was reading a report of picture quality and signal strenght couple of weeks ago, your statment is only partly correct, as the signal weakens, digital maintains a good picture then there is a rapid fall off, where there is a poor but watchable picture with analogue there is an unwatchable or zero picture in digital, this was from the measured signal strenght so as to see what would happen with analogue turn off. I have a IDTV and a freeview box, in both cases the signal meter has to/is set to a channel, if you are in a new area this would be difficult to use for intial aiming of arial unless you knew what chanel numbers where being transmitted on. I'm just off to try and find report to have a reread.

[QUOTE]colin - 2006-11-19 9:26 PM I'm just off to try and find report to have a reread.[/QUOTE] Colin there are lots of factors to consider but generally I think it is fair to say that you need less digital signal for a good picture compared to analogue. The DTT Group recommend the following at the input to your set top box or iDTV: Max signal level Min signal level Analogue TV 80dBµV 60dBµV DTT 70dBµV 45dBµV The transmiter power require for DTT reception is some 17 db less than for analogue. If you can stand to read about it in some technical detail visit this web page. 8-) http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/books/r_book2.pdf Their home site is pretty good for keeping up with what is going on. peedee

Had a quick look at the link you posted, got to all of page three before I saw the first misleading statement, the less robust 64QAM is used by two of the multiplex's which covers several tv stations this is why you will find some tv stations breaking up before others, from memory C4 and its off spring are main culprits, you just can't trust anybody to get it right nowadays ;-)

I've got a feeling my dish will get more use in future. What will be a pain is the fact that text is much slower to load on digital, there where promises to fix this several years ago but still not done, thats one reason I'm so pessimistic about it.

Archived