Fiat ducato wiper problems? Help!!!!

Clemo

I have a fiat ducato 2.3 2009 and the wipers have packed up, they work when u pull stalk back to wash the windows and wiper work then but when I put wiper on any setting they won't work, could it be the wiper motor or the wiper stalk mechanism?

Has anyone else had this problem?

What is the procedure to take airbag and stearing wheel off if needed?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

As the wipers work reliably when the operating stalk is held back in the ‘wash+wipe’ position, it’s reasonable to assume that the wiper motor itself is OK. And, as the wipers do not work on any of the other stalk settings, it’s reasonable to assume (though definitely not conclusive) that the problem lies with the stalk (perhaps a poor electrical connection?)

There is a fair bit of on-line discussion about problems with Ducato windscreen wiper problems that you might want to browse through

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ducato+windscreen+wiper+problem

but I couldn’t find anything that exactly matches yours.

There’s generic advice on removing a Fiat ‘airbag’ steering-wheel here

http://www.fiatforum.com/bravo/282407-anyone-know-how-remove-steering-wheel.html

There are also on-line images of Ducato ‘airbag’ steering-wheels with the horn-push and airbag module removed (example here)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401037259170?clk_rvr_id=958617847023&rmvSB=true

that might help you. (My experience of removing steering-wheels is limited to the simpler non-airbag variety and, even then, it could sometimes be a challenge.)

It needs saying that contemplating DIY playing about with airbags if one has no practical experience of doing this ain’t the greatest of plans, so you’ll need to be very careful if you decide to take the wheel off. As the wiper-related problem does not prevent your motorhome being driven, you might be wise to have the fault investigated professionally by a Fiat agent.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-12-29 8:16 AM..................................It needs saying that contemplating DIY playing about with airbags if one has no practical experience of doing this ain’t the greatest of plans, so you’ll need to be very careful if you decide to take the wheel off. As the wiper-related problem does not prevent your motorhome being driven, you might be wise to have the fault investigated professionally by a Fiat agent.

Just to add that I was firmly guided against fiddling with even the airbag wiring from the driver's/passenger's seats by Nick Fisher. If I remember, it is necessary to disconnect the starter battery when making any intervention on the airbag installation, and to leave the system disconnected for a period of time (which I have forgotten!) before disturbing anything. He also said that reinstating the battery connection on completion can trigger the system. By the time I'd got to that part of his warning I'd decided against fiddling, so didn't pursue what the re-connection procedure should be. Proceed with great caution or, as Derek suggests, take to a Fiat Commercial dealership for diagnosis/repair if the wheel would have to come off.

Hi Clemo

I have a 2008 Autotrail Apache 634L which isalso on a Ducato x250 chassis and had problems with my wipers. using the wipers they just stopped dead on the screen and would only occasionally move a few cm at a time. Thought it was the stork and had a Fiat garage check out the problem as the stork is £190.00 .

On examination it was found the body computer was at fault!

Also the dip beam kept dropping out when the engine was running but not when the engine was off and just ignition on. Was a nightmare and £650.00 later all fixed!!!!

Good luck

Ron

Archived