Exhausted. How long does it take to find a perfect M/H

Violet1956

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all once again for your helpful advice. I don't think we would manage without it. I guess there is no way of kidding a weighbridge in the same way I try to kid the bathroom scales i.e. with one hand on the washbasin.

Will take a look at the link about weighbridges. Have found one nearby and researched the SVtech site for what info they need to advise on replating/uprating. Now going to search the forum for security advice which I am sure is well covered so I won't bother you all with that one you will be relieved to hear. :-)

. This was exacerbated until very recently by the fact that very few French citizens (apart from Truck and PSV drivers) had licences for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes (no "grandfather rights"). So, they had little choice but to grin and bear their relatively low payloads. I think your van just reflects that quirk of French life.

Good Afternoon Brian, could you tell me what has changed with the French driving licence permitted weights? Thanks.

. This was exacerbated until very recently by the fact that very few French citizens (apart from Truck and PSV drivers) had licences for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes (no "grandfather rights"). So, they had little choice but to grin and bear their relatively low payloads. I think your van just reflects that quirk of French life.

Good Afternoon Brian, could you tell me what has changed with the French driving licence permitted weights? Thanks.

yoko8pups - 2016-01-08 5:07 PM

I believe that as a result of a lot of lobbying, they now have the equivalent of "grandfather rights" which they can apply to have recognised on their licences. Oddly, I think these are not restricted to 7.5 tonnes, as ours are, but go to the whole 12 tonnes, or even more. So a lot more French drivers are now able, when/if they choose, to drive "poids lourds" than was the case hitherto. Can't remember when I read it, but I think it was at least a couple of years back.

Brock - 2016-01-08 2:52 PM

Anyone going to a weigh-bridge should watch Rachel:

John Wickersham also made a video for Practical Motorhome.

But, you do need to decide what you actually want to know first! You need to know exactly what state of load the vehicle is in, otherwise, although you know what the weighbridge ticket says, you don't know what it represents. If the van in question was empty, only carrying its spare wheel (if any) and essential tools, then it would have been helpful to say so, and also for the driver to have got out during the weighing. OTOH, if the van was being weighed fully laden, preferably with all its reservoirs brimmed and with the maximum number of full gas cylinders on board, the Rachel should also have been on board when it was weighed.

IMO, one actually needs to check both the above weights, because it is the only way to know how much load has actually been added, and how it is distributed between front and rear axles. Important if one finds one axle is getting dangerously close to its limit, because it may then be possible to redistribute some of the heavier items differently to improve balance.

There’s also a 2-page article (Pages 190-191 - “How to use a weighbridge) in the current (February 2016) issue of MMM magazine.

The French motoring regulations permit a person who has obtained a “B” driving-licence entitlement (ie. the basic car licence) before 20 January 1975 to drive an unlimited weight motorhome. The person’s licence is amended to carry the following "permis B Camping-car de plus de 3500 kg" (code 79)”.

(My understanding is that (perhaps not too surprisingly) some EU countries were not been prepared to accept the validity of this purely French Code 79 extension to a “B” entitlement, but I think they’ve all now been compelled to do so.)

Agree Brian and thanks.

The awareness video can only be seen as a starting point to show how it can be done. The first time I had my van weighed, I felt daunted by the prospect, the video would have helped. I tried to resist inferring the video told you all you need to know. John Wickersham's video also draws the balance to be made between an informative video - three facts is the recognised amount of information people can take in at one go - and overwhelming you with advice. I'd expect newbies to be sensible enough to do thorough research from different sources over time and build up their knowledge. Your post helps!

For those wishing to check their motorhome to the same standard as a 3.5t commercial delivery van, these are the checks my son is expected to carry out each day when using the vehicle. The checks apply to larger vans but not trucks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447183/van-driver-daily-walkaround-check.pdf

Motorhomes are not commercial fleet vehicles. However, on the day they are used, many of the safety issues are the same for commercial vans and motorhomes. The check list is not exhaustive and additional checks may be required.

• 2 weeks later...

Contain yourself! it's only a motorhome - ha ha!

Pay attention on the handover but don't expect to remember everything you're told. You'll find it impossible.

Make sure everything works, that you get the manuals and anything extra you wanted doing.

Then toast yourself for a job well done.

We picked up our van in January (2011) and when we got home, in the dark, found a message on ansaphone reminding us to drain the water system when we got home as it was going to be a severe frost!

Just a reminder that if you are not using it for a while you need to think about this sort of thing!

Otherwisel start enjoying it

regards

alan b

System drained! Handover really thorough and took over 2 hours! We have had a fantastic service from SMC Taplow. The guy who did the handover really knew his stuff and was very patient. They even gave us some lovely bubbly as a send off. We'll be taking it out for a trial run camping next week. OH has found it very easy to drive and park on our drive, which is a relief. As I will be sharing the driving we will be taking it somewhere quiet for me to have a go. In my search for our perfect van I looked at a number of vans from private sellers and the MH depot. As a newbie I have come to realise that a reputable dealer is the best place to go for peace of mind for your first van. SMC presented it to us in a condition that looked as if it was new despite being 10 years old. Very happy right now and looking forward to our trip next week. :-D

Congrats Violet and many happy trips ahead we trust.

When draining down don't forget to drain both fresh and waste tanks, open the valve to drain down the hot water boiler, empty the loo flush holding tank, and leave all taps and the shower tap in a half open position to let any residual water escape.

If not on a slope chock the rear wheels and leave the handbrake off to prevent it rusting on and start and run the engine for a few minutes once a fortnight at least.

Running a dehumidifier inside the van can help keep it dry and aired if you expect to be using it during cold and wet weather and leaving the larger cupboard and locker doors open can help air to circulate to reduce condensation.

I also place a wine bottle cork between each wiper arm and the windscreen to relieve the pessure on the wiper blades which helps them retain their shape for longer and not freeze to the glass which encourages them to split.

Violet1956 - 2016-01-20 7:43 PM

Thanks Tracker for your advice. We hope to meet you and others on ths forum who have been so helpful to us. My dearest wish is that it will be at some fab location where the sun is shining and the wine flows.. :-D

That would be very nice Violet - just not in the UK then!!

Ouarzazate is generally warm this time of year!

Been to Ouarzazate! Hired a 4x4 from a Marrakech hotel to go over the High Atlas a couple of years ago. Not going back to Morocco any day soon as I found it too distessing e.g. little children appearing at the apex of hairpin bends holding out fruits etc and at extreme risk to their lives. It is a cruel world that would expose children to such risks.

I know I'm a bit dim, but what MH did you eventually buy? A few posts back you were looking at a Rapido from MotorhomeDepot.

You have now purchased from SMC Taplow. Please spill the beans and put us out of our misery.

Morocco can be a bit of a culture shock - but that is what travelling is all about. We really enjoyed our trip over the high Atlas mountains but you do have to be vey wary of children flinging themselves into dangerous situations.

I would recommend a trip over the High Atlas to anyone. It was the highlight of our trip to Marrakech. As for Marrakech I would never go there again until they clean up the city of shysters and villains the like of which I have never seen before and never wish to encounter again.

I agree that Marrakech is a bit of a culture shock, especially the soukhs, but I still never felt a lunsafe there.

We too crossed the High Atlas in February and on the first day that the road had reopened single track after snowfall had closed it for a while.

Snowdrifts higher than the van and not a lot wider were a bit un-nerving at first as were the potholes which you soon learn not to drive through if you cannot see the bottom!

Sitting out in the Sahara dunes in glorious warm sunshine listening to the BBC world service reporting on blizzards and freezing temperatures back home soon made ammends though!

Tracker - 2016-01-20 8:36 PMThat's as maybe Violet but I saw many more happy smiling faces amongst the comparative poverty of Morocco than ever I see around me in affluent Btittain - both kids and adults.

I stayed in a hotel in Evesham some years ago - just one night thankfully.  Maybe it was the hotel that made it feel so lifeless and dreary although the rain wouldn't have helped.  Then I went to N Africa on holiday, might have been the same year - which I found pleasant by comparison too!

Violet1956 - 2016-01-20 8:30 PM

But they are just kids with no choice but to do what they are told. They have no choice about where they were born or their situation. Not going back there and it grieves me that I can do little to alleviate their situation.

Violet,

In some countries children are exploited for their monetary uses. Any wartime military men will tell you of seeing distorted limbs etc purposefully organised for begging purposes.

Its their way of life, and the more that others contribute to them the more it will be expanded.

Violet ... see and remember,, but accept what you see. Its their way of life.

Archived