The Case of the Squeaking Rapido

empress

We three old dears became concerned when our Rapido developed a worrying squeak, especially when travelling on uneven ground and/or negotiating roundabouts or on any surface which caused the vehicle to rock sideways. Fearing that we had trouble with the suspension, we took the vehicle to a Mercedes Garage and asked them to look into it. Their conclusion was that it was nothing to do with the Mercedes base vehicle, but the fault was with the Rapido body. When we took her for her Habitation Check near Lincoln, we asked them to look into it. They greased and lubricated everything which could be causing the problem and we drove off, optimistically. However, after a few yards, the squeak was back and the conclusion was that the problem must lie with the Mercedes. They suggested that the bushes might need replacing. Shortly after this, we took the van to our local garage for a winter service and mentioned our squeaking problem to them. We asked them to check the said bushes, but that was not the problem. They added yet more lubrication where appropriate. We had also asked them to clean the top of the van and whilst crawling about on it, they heard the squeak coming from the shower room below them. They concluded that it was the showerhead which was moving about and making the squeak. Feeling rather foolish (but relieved that the problem was not a major engineering one after all) when we got home we proceeded to adjust the head. Oh dear - the problem was still there. Finally, we realised what was causing it. In the shower room, we deploy the sort of “question mark” shaped hanging clothes pegs to dry dishcloths, flannels, etc. We discovered that it was these clothes pegs moving with the motion of our Rapido which were causing the squeaking sound! We would not have thought it possible that such a small thing could make enough noise for us to hear, but obviously we would be travelling more slowly on the road types and conditions described above and the engine noise would have been less. All this worry and indeed expense before discovering such a simple explanation. Talk about egg on faces. Empress(es)

Dear Empresses An interesting story and one we can all relate to. In motorhomes you will always hear every rattle and clank as you drive along. Your imagination goes into overdrive as you mentally go through every concievable disaster these noises could represent. Caravaners naturally dont hear the noises generated in their 'vans, but I wonder how far and how fast they would go if they could hear? Has anyone "miked up" a caravan? Vixter

We kept getting a knocking sound around the kitchen area which is immediately behind the driver's seat. We only got it occasionally and couldn't find out what the heck it was, it was only after I removed the rear of the kitchen cabinet when trying to stop the gales that blew in from around the fridge that I found the culprit - a melamine type pan stand which had gone missing some months earlier had dropped down behind the cupboard and every now and then would move about knocking as it went! I immediately fastened some spare shower matting to the rear of the cabinet, from the upper part of the cupboard back, up behind the drawers and stapled it to the underside of the rear of the worktop so that nothing could fall down and stop the little blighter doing a bid for freedom again. :-)

[QUOTE]Vixter - 2006-11-12 12:05 PM Dear Empresses An interesting story and one we can all relate to. In motorhomes you will always hear every rattle and clank as you drive along. Your imagination goes into overdrive as you mentally go through every concievable disaster these noises could represent. Caravaners naturally dont hear the noises generated in their 'vans, but I wonder how far and how fast they would go if they could hear? Has anyone "miked up" a caravan? Vixter[/QUOTE] I once travelled in a caravan for about 5 miles on the M62 motorway the noise was horrendous. It needed more than blue tack in the cutlery draw to stop the rattles. Don

Thank you empress, I am fairly handy with most things - a disabled Dad meant that I used to have to do loads of jobs around the house and also used to tinker in the shed as well - always have been a bit of a tomboy. I was the first girl in my senior school to insist on doing woodwork instead of needlework ... they tried their best to disuade me ... not a chance, playing with all those lovely tools - the fact that there were boys in the class didn't affect my decision ... honest!!!:-S The skills I learnt came in very hand when I converted an ambulance in to a motorhome, all with my own fair hands except the electrics which my hubby did, well, I had to let him do something!!! (Yes, before anyone squeaks, I did do the gas properly and had it checked). The weirdest part of this though was when I was varnishing all the teak faced contiboard in the middle of winter with the ambulance doors shut ... I got quite "merry" (and I don't drink!!!).*-) If I can have a good go, I will, I've just got to persuade my husband to let me climb up our contorted willow to lop it down a bit - it's about 40ft tall at present, the last one I attacked was about 30ft so I can't wait to get scrabbling! (lol)

Archived