Oyster Camos dome Snipe

michele

Hi Michele

Think the answer is no for domes.

Our dome was ok a couple of years ago down to French Med,but last year it struggled to get a lot in parts of the Dordogne

Astra have reduced the UK beam size

I have read on other chat rooms that the 85cm Oyster was still good down towards Spain,I hope so as I have ordered one on the new van.

HWO

WEll if it helps we have the 85 and on the french med its perfect . I dont thin k you will have any trouble with it . Thinking of buying a new van and really wanted to know if the snipe was any good I have never fancied the Camos but , in saying that if it did the job then maybe its the way to go . I am not sure of the footprints for any of these .

We had a Selfsat Snipe (not a dome) on our previous van but hadn't taken it across the water. Looking at the new Snipe Dome you wont get BBC etc down south of France although it has 8/9 satellites programmed in you should get some English speaking programs. This is what we are looking at at the moment, but not made a decision as yet. The Oyster would be nice but far too expensive for us and as it would only be used for about 10 weeks in Spain and Portugal, not worth the cost to us. We liked our Maxview dome until it went kaput after just over 3 years at a cost of £1600 and couldn't get parts to have it repaired, never again.

Avoid the snipe pro and megasat countryman (same unit). Mine has been back twice for water ingress, well known issue which a UK dealer confirmed to me off the record. The repair shop for these devices is overwealmed by failures. Mine has been being 'fixed' for the second time for over 2 months. In 6 months of ownership its been on the van roof less than 2 months!

If you want coverage into france, avoid domes. Buy a oyster cytrax dx, or something like that. if you have a sky box rather than a freesat or fta reciever, the main UK channels are on the EU beam and will work much further south. If you have freesat/fta the main channels are on the UK spot beam only, but BBC news and a few other news channels are repeated unencrypted on the eu beam too. Multi-sat capability will get you some english news channels on astra 1 19.2E or Hotbird much further south and east than usual astra 2 28.2E.

Nigel

If you want coverage in the South of France a dome would not work. If I was buying I would opt for an 85cms Teleco with autoskew (most important). Unlike Oyster, Teleco systems do not require software updates when frequencies change. My Teleco system has worked faultlessly for 6 years.

Aye, no autoskew on the Oyster Cytrac DX - its manual skew only. If I had gotten one then for south france I guess it would have meant shoving a hand out of a rooflight to adjust the skew. No skew adjustment necessary for UK/northern france.

Think about the wind and where you travel before you opt for a big dish. If you holiday anywhere in coastal Scotland, or exposed highland sites you'll struggle wind wise with a big dish - both for fear of it getting torn off in high winds, and also of it moving too much when the van sways in lighter winds.

Nigel

veletron - 2016-01-03 9:44 PM

Avoid the snipe pro and megasat countryman (same unit). Mine has been back twice for water ingress, well known issue which a UK dealer confirmed to me off the record. The repair shop for these devices is overwealmed by failures. Mine has been being 'fixed' for the second time for over 2 months. In 6 months of ownership its been on the van roof less than 2 months!

If you want coverage into france, avoid domes. Buy a oyster cytrax dx, or something like that. if you have a sky box rather than a freesat or fta reciever, the main UK channels are on the EU beam and will work much further south. If you have freesat/fta the main channels are on the UK spot beam only, but BBC news and a few other news channels are repeated unencrypted on the eu beam too. Multi-sat capability will get you some english news channels on astra 1 19.2E or Hotbird much further south and east than usual astra 2 28.2E.

Nigel

I have had a Megasat Countryman GPS professional on my van for 5 months its been used in some pretty atrocious weather and so far has given no issues.

The original poster is presumably asking whether anything other than a large dish will receive presumably English TV is the south of France. The question isn't a debate about domes versus dishes. The simple answer to the question is that a dome will not receive English TV (by that I mean those on Astra 28) in the south of France.

michele - 2016-01-07 1:47 PM

Thanks Guys for all your help. can anyone just give me a yes or no about the Snipe. If I was in the South Of France would I get TV .English ?.

As mentioned in my earlier post the answer is emphatically NO.

Thanks Mike,

Wondered why no one challenged someone the other day on another post , they said their snipe was recieving well down in Spain . No one challenged them as to what language it was in ! .

As said we are in the market for a new van , we have a 85cm Oyster at present ,if a small snipe was to work in Spain etc then I would rather pay for a Snipe , Camos similar kind of thing .. We always assume that these were only good for coverage in uk and northern france . Our present van had a dome as the entertainment pack but we paid extra for a full size dish ... Some say you can some say you can't . Im glad you said no as otherwise we would of wasted our money on it Thank you .

Hi, just to let you know that the Selfsat Snipe, (which we had on our previous van) but not the Dome, is working in Portugal. Obviously NOT UK programmes but they have managed to get programmes on 3 different satellites, when I speak to them tomorrow I will let you know which ones.

Michele.

When you mention that some receive English programmes in Spain with a Snipe I assume they were referring to the very limited number of programmes on the Hotbird and Astra 1 satellites which except for the news are not worth watching and are certainly not for family viewing.

In order to maximise your chances of a signal you might wish to research dishes with autoskew as even with a standard 85cms you might have difficulty depending of course on where in France you wish to watch TV. You might also research Teleco dishes which unlike Oyster do not require software adjustments when frequencies change.

This site here discusses dish sizes for the South of France:

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/dishsizes.htm

Actually you can receive SOME English Channels well into Spain and all over France on a Camos Dome on Astra 2 (28). Just not BBC, ITV1 etc. As mentioned we lose those about 70 miles north of the med coast on our Camos. However there are a fair few English channels on the Euro beam of that satellite without retuning to hotbird etc. Examples are Pick, Community, Sky News, Forces TV (I like that one), Challenge, Travel Channel etc etc.

A bigger dish with auto skew may get you an extra 100 to 150 miles coverage for the main channels but you can do that distance in a couple or hours.

We knew this year we would lose the main channels for a large part of the trip so I just stuffed the laptop with all sorts of series. We watched all 5 seasons of Breaking Bad for example. Or when on wifi we watched bbc etc via www.filmon.com. I prefer this method now to be honest. Watch what you want when you want. Most of the mainstream TV is rubbish anyway.

EDIT: Im still in love with your Avatar Michele. (lol)

Thanks Barry for reminding me that there are a few English programmes available but to be honest they are not my cup of tea. I took Michele's post to mean she required the full range of programmes on English TV and in that respect Domes and Snipe's would be a complete waste of cash. Since the changes even an 85cms dish is marginal according to the link provided in my earlier post but there is a far better chance of getting programmes with an 85cms dish in the South of France than a dome/Snipe and autoskew will provide an even greater opportunity.

However, Michele does state that she is able to receive programmes on an 85cms and I presume that is since the changes. If not then her next question should be can I receive English TV in the south of France with an 85cms dish?

Mike88 - 2016-01-08 8:03 AM

Thanks Barry for reminding me that there are a few English programmes available but to be honest they are not my cup of tea. I took Michele's post to mean she required the full range of programmes on English TV and in that respect Domes and Snipe's would be a complete waste of cash. Since the changes even an 85cms dish is marginal according to the link provided in my earlier post but there is a far better chance of getting programmes with an 85cms dish in the South of France than a dome/Snipe and autoskew will provide an even greater opportunity.

However, Michele does state that she is able to receive programmes on an 85cms and I presume that is since the changes. If not then her next question should be can I receive English TV in the south of France with an 85cms dish?

I thought it might be useful to know as it took me an age going through the list of 2000 channels to find them. I agree mainly rubbish but there is some half decent stuff. To be honest if I had to buy a dish or dome from new now, im not sure I would bother. Who is to say that in a years time they wont tighten the footprint even further? So a £2K dish or slightly cheaper dome will just be a useless lump.

Bring on cheap 3 and 4g and better wifi I reckon. Might be a while off yet though but I think it will be the way to go.

Steve Drew - 2016-01-04 10:03 PM

I have had a Megasat Countryman GPS professional on my van for 5 months its been used in some pretty atrocious weather and so far has given no issues.

Good luck with it! Initially mine lasted 2 months (Summer use) then spent 2 months being 'repaired' then it was on the roof for another month before failing in the same way, and was sent away for repair once more. I asked for a refund which was denied. Not seen it since.

I recently resorted to a section 75 claim, but the mere threat of this via email was enough to cause them to refund my money in full so all is now well, I did not need to proceed with the claim.

I use my van almost every weekend in last years full-on Scottish 'summer' weather! It was also used for roughly a month away in one go. I suspect my usage pattern for 2 months equal many folks usage patterns for a year. The issue with My Megasat was one of water ingress around the lower seal. When I took it off the roof to return it, loads of water was ejected from the base.

I assume yours came from Medienland24 on ebay as well?

I now have a SatFi UK dome on the roof, which I hope is of higher quality. One thing of note is how quickly it finds the satellite - its over 4 times faster than the Megasat Countryman/Snipe was.

Nigel

veletron - 2016-01-12 12:04 PM

Steve Drew - 2016-01-04 10:03 PM

Good luck with it! Initially mine lasted 2 months (Summer use) then spent 2 months being 'repaired' then it was on the roof for another month before failing in the same way, and was sent away for repair once more. I asked for a refund which was denied. Not seen it since.

I recently resorted to a section 75 claim, but the mere threat of this via email was enough to cause them to refund my money in full so all is now well, I did not need to proceed with the claim.

I use my van almost every weekend in last years full-on Scottish 'summer' weather! It was also used for roughly a month away in one go. I suspect my usage pattern for 2 months equal many folks usage patterns for a year. The issue with My Megasat was one of water ingress around the lower seal. When I took it off the roof to return it, loads of water was ejected from the base.

I assume yours came from Medienland24 on ebay as well?

I now have a SatFi UK dome on the roof, which I hope is of higher quality. One thing of note is how quickly it finds the satellite - its over 4 times faster than the Megasat Countryman/Snipe was.

Nigel

Yes it did come from Medialand, not noticed it slow locking on less then 30 seconds from when the blue GPS light comes on, I will have to monitor it to see if we get any water ingress we go out at least twice a month and it is mounted right at the front of the motorhome so should get the maximum amount of liquid thrown at it while driving, I looked at getting a dome but was put off by the reports of condensation forming inside the domes, I guess you pays your money and takes your chance lol

Archived