"Fiat" Mud Flaps

starvin marvin

I bought mine from a Peugeot dealer in Stockport (Robins & Day) and they cost about £35 a set (I bought both front and rear).

The Peugeot ones, which are not marked "Peugeot" on the flaps themselves, come with all fittings and visual instructions. From memory, they were about half the price of the Fiat ones at the time.

spospe - 2016-01-04 6:03 PM

I bought mine from a Peugeot dealer in Stockport (Robins & Day) and they cost about £35 a set (I bought both front and rear).

The Peugeot ones, which are not marked "Peugeot" on the flaps themselves, come with all fittings and visual instructions. From memory, they were about half the price of the Fiat ones at the time.

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a much better price. I'll give that a go.

starvin marvin - 2016-01-04 6:09 PM

This link is to the 2014 forum thread in which spospe mentioned obtaining a full set of ‘genuine article’ Peugeot mud-flaps at a bargain price.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/X250-mud-flaps/36694/

As far as I’m aware retro-fit front mud-flaps for Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot X250/X290 vehicles are identical and do not carry the vehicle-manufacturer’s name. As you rightly say, the ‘book price’ of a pair from a Fiat agent will be around £75, but it is certainly possible to purchase the same product cheaper on-line as shown here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Fiat-Ducato-Front-Mudflaps-Mud-flap-guards-50901517-new-GENUINE-/370303289009?fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ADucato

If you can find the same flaps cheaper (eg. from Robins & Day) could you report back, please, as I’m currently in the market for a front pair.

(Fiamma offers front mud-flaps for X250/X290 vehicles. These are under £40 per pair, but the design is quite different to the original-equipment flaps advertised on the above ebay link.)

As Derek has reminded me, the price I originally paid was about £25 a pair (front or rear), not £35; so an even better bargain. The flaps have been fitted just over a year and they seem OK. Installation is simple and only needs a small spanner / socket (from memory 10 mm) and a cross-headed screwdriver.

I fitted some genuine fiat ones to my Boxer last year. Don't use the clamps that come with them, they look like an afterthought. I used self drilling screws round the wheel arches with grease behind them and underneath I drilled the chassis seem, bolted them through and packed grease Round them. They now look factory fitted. Tip of the day - spray the screws black before using them, and grind an M6 penny washer down to a rough rectangle shape to help grip the rubber round the wheel arch, again I sprayed the washer black before using.

This advert

http://www.warnerscars.co.uk/mud-flaps/boxer-3-mudflaps/

may explain how spospe obtained from a Peugeot dealership in 2014 a set of front AND rear mudflaps for his Boxer X250 panel-van-conversion motorhome for under £50, when front OR rear mudflaps were being advertised on-line for £50+.

Peugeot offers as original equipment (OE) for the Boxer mudflaps referred to as “Standard” design. These are less ’stylised’ than the Fiat OE mudflaps and cheaper. Clicking on the first entry on the following link will download installation instructions and show the design of the 9603-S4 mudflap:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Maquette+AV+9603+S4+-+citroen+auch+accessoires

So, if you want front mudflaps that are cheaper (and simpler) than the Fiat OE 50901517 part marketed for Ducato X250/X290s, choosing the Peugeot “Standard” 9603-S4 part is an option. (Presumably the Peugeot 9603-S4 mudflaps will fit on Ducatos in the same way that Fiat 50901517 mudflaps will fit on Boxers.)

Charles - 2016-01-05 12:03 AM

I fitted some genuine fiat ones to my Boxer last year. Don't use the clamps that come with them, they look like an afterthought. I used self drilling screws round the wheel arches with grease behind them and underneath I drilled the chassis seem, bolted them through and packed grease Round them. They now look factory fitted. Tip of the day - spray the screws black before using them, and grind an M6 penny washer down to a rough rectangle shape to help grip the rubber round the wheel arch, again I sprayed the washer black before using.

Thanks for the reply, but that seems like a whole lot of trouble to go to just to fit mud flaps and far too complicated for someone like me who has difficulty knocking a nail in straight! I'll probably even have to go out and buy a srewdriver or just take the van round to a man who knows what he's doing.

I think you’d find that the Fiat 50901517, the Peugot 9603-S4 and the Fiamma front mudflaps (example on this link)

http://www.laleisure.co.uk/fiamma-mud-flap-front

are all designed to be attached to the vehicle with ‘clamps’ and that no drilling is needed. Conversely, it can be hard with mudflaps that use clamps to obtain a tidy, close fit and Charles’s screw/bolt method should be much more secure.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-04 6:52 PM

starvin marvin - 2016-01-04 6:09 PM

This link is to the 2014 forum thread in which spospe mentioned obtaining a full set of ‘genuine article’ Peugeot mud-flaps at a bargain price.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/X250-mud-flaps/36694/

As far as I’m aware retro-fit front mud-flaps for Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot X250/X290 vehicles are identical and do not carry the vehicle-manufacturer’s name. As you rightly say, the ‘book price’ of a pair from a Fiat agent will be around £75, but it is certainly possible to purchase the same product cheaper on-line as shown here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Fiat-Ducato-Front-Mudflaps-Mud-flap-guards-50901517-new-GENUINE-/370303289009?fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ADucato

If you can find the same flaps cheaper (eg. from Robins & Day) could you report back, please, as I’m currently in the market for a front pair.

(Fiamma offers front mud-flaps for X250/X290 vehicles. These are under £40 per pair, but the design is quite different to the original-equipment flaps advertised on the above ebay link.)

Derek,

Pleased to inform you I ordered a front pair of mud flaps from Robins & Day in Nottingham on Thursday, at a cost of £29.48 including vat. These arrived yesterday from Coventry and I collected them today. Fun starts tomorrow when I try, with my 10 thumbs to fit them!

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-10 8:52 AM

I assume from the price that the mudflaps you obtained from Robins & Day are the 9603-S4 ones, not the different-design 50901517 ones?

The installation instructions for the 9603-S4s suggest that fitting should be straightforward.

Yes, 9603-S4 for the Boxer and Jumper vans, so it says on the packet. Transplant surgery can be straight forward, for some. I can assure you this will be a struggle, they might yet finish up in the bin.

Hi,

For what it is worth,

On my first van I brought a set of Fiat mud flaps and found that they were too small and

that they were not much use dirt still found it"s way up

the side of the van, "makes the van look a bit better tho".

More useful would be to get a piece of old mud flap off an HGV cut it to size and fasten that on

may do the job better and cheeper don't make it too long as it may pull your wing off when you hit a curb or obstacle.

Mickydripin - 2016-01-10 12:04 PM

Hi,

For what it is worth,

On my first van I brought a set of Fiat mud flaps and found that they were too small and

that they were not much use dirt still found it"s way up

the side of the van, "makes the van look a bit better tho".

More useful would be to get a piece of old mud flap off an HGV cut it to size and fasten that on

may do the job better and cheeper don't make it too long as it may pull your wing off when you hit a curb or obstacle.

What you're suggesting is way out of my league for DIY.

starvin marvin - 2016-01-10 12:02 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-10 8:52 AM

I assume from the price that the mudflaps you obtained from Robins & Day are the 9603-S4 ones, not the different-design 50901517 ones?

The installation instructions for the 9603-S4s suggest that fitting should be straightforward.

Yes, 9603-S4 for the Boxer and Jumper vans, so it says on the packet. Transplant surgery can be straight forward, for some. I can assure you this will be a struggle, they might yet finish up in the bin.

Well, I've been and gone and done it! I'm so chuffed with myself, and I've still got all the skin on my knuckles and I didn't,'t swear once....a first. The fitting time on the packet is 40 mins, which is about right, although most of you guys could do it blindfolded. Off to the pub for a pint. Brilliant.

Archived