European breakdown recovery again

Passera

I know this subject has many different threads but we take delivery of new motorhome soon. It is plated as 3.7 tonnes and 7.7 metre length. We intend to spend much time travelling in Europe. Not away for 365 days but may be say six months.

I have quotes from some insurance companies that offer the relevant insurance cover with breakdown. This includes safeguard. However I have a quote today from NFU over £300 cheaper than the insurance companies BUT includes no breakdown cover. Trying to obtain this separately but hitting all manner of restrictions with length of trip vehicle weight/length etc.

Even much praised ADAC appears to have a day's restriction on trips although that posting was quite old.

Can anyone help with a breakdown policy that covers our needs?

If ADAC does cover my needs a current phone number or email address would be helpful.

We are with Safeguard. I did not think they had any restriction on time abroad, not that we need 6 months. Renewal is due 1/3/16 so will ask then . Found them to be good, and would not want separate breakdown cover from ins, as dealing with 2 companies in an accident would be very problematic, best to have one policy to cover all

PJay

Passera - 2016-01-04 9:09 PMI know this subject has many different threads but we take delivery of new motorhome soon. It is plated as 3.7 tonnes and 7.7 metre length. We intend to spend much time travelling in Europe. Not away for 365 days but may be say six months.I have quotes from some insurance companies that offer the relevant insurance cover with breakdown. This includes safeguard. However I have a quote today from NFU over £300 cheaper than the insurance companies BUT includes no breakdown cover. Trying to obtain this separately but hitting all manner of restrictions with length of trip vehicle weight/length etc.Even much praised ADAC appears to have a day's restriction on trips although that posting was quite old.Can anyone help with a breakdown policy that covers our needs?If ADAC does cover my needs a current phone number or email address would be helpful.

I've been with ADAC for 3 years with no problems - literally...I've never used them! However, you pay €114.50 a year and you and your spouse get cover for ALL vehicles registered in your name whether you are driving them or not, (Inc motorhomes and motorbikes) plus any vehicle your are driving in. There are also some other good benefits on the cover.

Whenever I have phoned them, they are efficient, speak good English
and pleasant.

So although, as stated I have never used them in anger, I can't think of any good reason not to.

I use this Phone 0049 941 52344. If it's not right for new members, they will almost certainly bend over backwards to deal with your query.

Jeremy

Hi, if you are caravan club member, they might be able to help. Their Red Pennant policy provide personal and breakdown cover for holidays etc, and include vehicle recovery.

I am not sure how long they cover in a single trip. But they do offer multytrip option.

worth a call to ask the question .

We have just booked it for our trip 42 days duration later in Starting late may.

(The thing about Safeguard, is the if you have an incident due to medical problems, the since the policy is combined with motoring policy, does a medical induced claim reflect on your motoring no claims discount.??))

tonyg3nwl

Passera - 2016-01-04 9:09 PM

I know this subject has many different threads but we take delivery of new motorhome soon. It is plated as 3.7 tonnes and 7.7 metre length. We intend to spend much time travelling in Europe. Not away for 365 days but may be say six months.

I have quotes from some insurance companies that offer the relevant insurance cover with breakdown. This includes safeguard. However I have a quote today from NFU over £300 cheaper than the insurance companies BUT includes no breakdown cover. Trying to obtain this separately but hitting all manner of restrictions with length of trip vehicle weight/length etc.

Even much praised ADAC appears to have a day's restriction on trips although that posting was quite old.

Can anyone help with a breakdown policy that covers our needs?

If ADAC does cover my needs a current phone number or email address would be helpful.

Are there factors you don't mention here? Re NFU being £300 cheaper without breakdown, I am with Safeguard and my premium is only £345 pa including European breakdown! (which has no time limit as a matter of fact-it really is up to 365 days per year but you do need a UK address)

Are you over 80 or do you have restrictions etc? If not, I would go with Safeguard-good price, good service and when I needed them in France they were very efficient and got me going very quickly again

Mike

laimeduck - 2016-01-05 8:54 AM
Passera - 2016-01-04 9:09 PMI know this subject has many different threads but we take delivery of new motorhome soon. It is plated as 3.7 tonnes and 7.7 metre length. We intend to spend much time travelling in Europe. Not away for 365 days but may be say six months.I have quotes from some insurance companies that offer the relevant insurance cover with breakdown. This includes safeguard. However I have a quote today from NFU over £300 cheaper than the insurance companies BUT includes no breakdown cover. Trying to obtain this separately but hitting all manner of restrictions with length of trip vehicle weight/length etc.Even much praised ADAC appears to have a day's restriction on trips although that posting was quite old.Can anyone help with a breakdown policy that covers our needs?If ADAC does cover my needs a current phone number or email address would be helpful.

I've been with ADAC for 3 years with no problems - literally...I've never used them! However, you pay €114.50 a year and you and your spouse get cover for ALL vehicles registered in your name whether you are driving them or not, (Inc motorhomes and motorbikes) plus any vehicle your are driving in. There are also some other good benefits on the cover.

Whenever I have phoned them, they are efficient, speak good English
and pleasant.

So although, as stated I have never used them in anger, I can't think of any good reason not to.

I use this Phone 0049 941 52344. If it's not right for new members, they will almost certainly bend over backwards to deal with your query.

Jeremy
I have used them "in anger" so to speak, they were just as good, my contact spoke English, Spanish and of course, German. She did all the translation, organised the garage, recovery etc. and booked us into a hotel for a week ( and paid the bill.). Go for the ADAC.H

Mike B. - 2016-01-05 12:02 PM.........................Are there factors you don't mention here? Re NFU being £300 cheaper without breakdown, I am with Safeguard and my premium is only £345 pa including European breakdown! (which has no time limit as a matter of fact-it really is up to 365 days per year but you do need a UK address)

Are you over 80 or do you have restrictions etc? If not, I would go with Safeguard-good price, good service and when I needed them in France they were very efficient and got me going very quickly again

Mike

Same thought occurred to me! Ours is £307 with breakdown (Comfort, was £324 in 2013 when van was new). Max trip 90 days (but can be increased with premium adjustment), annual mileage 8,000 (ditto), compulsory alarm fitted (depends on value when first insured). Can't imagine I'd get van insurance anywhere for £7! :-D

Thank you so much for all replies

Just to clarify safeguard do cover breakdown recovery with unlimited days abroad with their insurance

Their quote was good and came in at £470. However having been recommended to NFU their insurance only quote was £143. No breakdown if over 3.5T and 5metres length. It made sense to me to find the breakdown separately and if £100 then still a worthwhile saving as long as cover is not compromised.

I would add our ages are 66 and 71.

Proving to me not so easy and it appears options are very limited which is why I turned to the forum.

I will contact ADAC.

One insurance offering unlimited days abroad said they use AXA roadside recovery and suggested I call them. I did and they said they not cover motor homes urghhhhhh.

Incidentally as a side point one well known insurers quoted me £1246 premium with European restrictions attached highlighting the importance of shopping around.

If I cannot get any joy with separate breakdown recovery then safeguard it will be and nice to have all the positive comments about them.

Passera - 2016-01-06 5:58 AM

...However having been recommended to NFU their insurance only quote was £143...

As you own a Rapido 7065FF motorhome £143 seems a startlingly low premium for an insurance policy even if no breakdown cover is involved.

Suggest you contact NFU again and confirm that the quotation was correct (and that you would actually be getting a policy suitable for a ‘motorhome’) as, if you are going to base your price-comparison strategy on the NFU quote + a separate breakdown policy and the NFU quote is wrong, you’ll be wasting your time.

The one problem with Safeguard is that in the case of breakdown with a vehicle over 3500kg you do not get accommodation. we will be looking for new cover this year sadly as we have been with Safeguard over 12 years. I cannot see what difference weight has to do with accommodation though.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-06 9:35 AM.....................As you own a Rapido 7065FF motorhome £143 seems a startlingly low premium for an insurance policy even if no breakdown cover is involved................

Seconded! Even seems low for a small car. I'd definitely query the premium. Was it confirmed in writing, with a copy of the insurance contract? Are you sure it is a full comprehensive policy, fully reflection the present market value of your van?

Brian Kirby - 2016-01-06 1:39 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-06 9:35 AM.....................As you own a Rapido 7065FF motorhome £143 seems a startlingly low premium for an insurance policy even if no breakdown cover is involved................

Seconded! Even seems low for a small car. I'd definitely query the premium. Was it confirmed in writing, with a copy of the insurance contract? Are you sure it is a full comprehensive policy, fully reflection the present market value of your van?

I would also agree with this as I pay £149 for the Mrs' C1 with 10yrs + NCD which we sometimes tow on an........................................................................................................................................A-Frame!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

I may give NFU a call next renewal if that quote is correct

Dare I suggest that one needs to be clear on exactly what type of insurance you are getting for the money. I suspect that some of the quotes given in this thread may include medical cover as well as the breakdown part. Red Pennant for example offers both and I suspect many members just take both parts. Although ADAC does give some medical cover it is rather basic and I suggest should not be used as a replacement for a full blown medical cover policy. The breakdown part of their service is excellent and for the price charged is extremely good value especially as it covers the drivers, not the vehicle being used. This means you can use any other vehicle and still be covered. So, if for example you have a car as well as a motorhome the one policy covers you for both. They also cover you in the UK and I believe that they will call out the AA in the event of you calling them. This means that again you do not need separate nreakdown policies for UK and Europe.

If you are of an age where medical issues, even relatively minor ones, are present then you really need to ensure that you are covered correctly for them. Failure to disclose anything can lead to the policy being worthless in the event of a claim. We have an annual medical policy which covers all trips, even when we are not using th campervan. It costs around £300 but for the 2 of us, including our not extreme medical issues, seems reasonable to me.

Like anything in this world, check carefully before paying up.

Hi There

I just renewed my insurance with full eu breakdown

LV wanted £1400 after listening to a 5 minute voicemail disclaimer. I felt like a ciminal even before they gave me the 3rd degree

Safeguard wanted to renew my premium at over £700.00, they didn`t even try and discount after I moaned.

Comfort £330.00helpful and polite (no brainer)

All details to each insurer where the same.

Tom

Archived