Winter covers for Dometic fridge

Pipkim

On our recent post Xmas trip I noticed, on one day only, that our Dometic Fridge [RMD 8551] seemed to struggle to keep the contents cool [i.e. my ciders weren’t as cold as they normally were!]. This was on a day when the temps weren’t that low but were probably below 10 degrees.

I have read that this may have been because we haven’t fitted winter covers as recommended in the instruction manual.

In our previous motorhome [that we had for nearly 9 years], we had never noticed this drop of in performance and we had been out & about in some pretty freezing weather.

So my question is, do the winter covers really make that much difference in the fridges performance?

If they do, I assume I will need two.

Thanks in anticipation,

PilgrimPhil

I think that the covers are to prevent over-cooling of the fridge contents in low temperatures. We hadn't fitted ours (Dometic 8550) as the winter has been so mild but last time out the milk did have ice in it on the lowest setting so we now have.

By the way I believe that your fridge like ours will vent its exghaust gasses into the room-sealed space behind the fridge so be wary of fitting 2 covers as you must leave enough of the top vent free for the warm gasses to escape. Try it and see but on ours the woodwork gets scarily hot with the top cover in place.

could work either way if its cold enough that the weeny flame isn't enough to heat up the liquid ammonia solution enough to separate the ammonia gas (or whatever it does - after all it was invented by Einstein) then the covers might help the whole area get warm enough for the chemical process to get going. but as advised you must leave all vents open enough to stop CO issues.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mnr/fridge.html

the pressurized wet ammonia needs to reach a good 50-60°C to drive off the 'Dry' ammonia gas so if its really cold it might be safer to test it with the covers on and the electric setting.

JB

I've drilled a couple of 35mm holes in my top cover ready for our next trip (tomorrow!). We use the van for extended ski trips and find it gets very hot inside the cupboards around the top of the fridge with the covers on.

I've never experienced any trouble cooling the fridge with or without them.

Dometic 7665L

Kev

I don't know about other folks covers, but our covers don't completely seal the vent, they still allow a flow of cooling air from the outside (lower cover) and the top cover allows warm air to escape, although not quite as much. I wouldn't use the top one when running on gas, but I do sometimes use it when running on EHU in the Winter. They also stop the Driving rain (a lot of it lately) from being blown through the vents, when in storage, and also sometimes onsite. Useful Things.

Archived