What's important for your campsite facility?

BrianBW

Fresh water, electric hook up, waste water disposal, rubbish recycling preferably, short grass with cuttings cleared and reasonably level pitch, also must have public transport nearby. We don't reckon to move our motorhome once we are pitched.

Willy Wonka - 2016-01-08 5:21 PM

What's a Campsite?

Is it an Aire for posh folks?

Love it, but where's the trailer to carry the lead. (lol)

Use mainly Acsi or Camping Cheque sites as only pay on average 15euro for pitch EHU swimming pool, Tennis, Fishing, Bar, Restaurant and wifi

Willy Wonka - 2016-01-08 5:21 PM

What's a Campsite?

Is it an Aire for posh folks?

Not really - it's an allegedly secure compound where alien vehicles like motorhomes can be rounded up each night to prevent their criminally minded owners from causing havoc by quietly parking where they will cause no damage or leave no trace of their visit other than the dreaded tyre tracks.

I like your long lead - it means you can place the generator where it will best annoy somebody else!

T8LEY - 2016-01-08 9:48 PM

Let's face it. There are those that like a bit of luxury and there are freeloaders. I'm off now.

Where are you off to may I ask - a nice hotel for a bit of luxury perchance!

That's what we do too when we fancy a bit of luxury!

Otherwise our very own bit of luxury is exactly the same wherever we park it!

Tracker - 2016-01-08 11:01 PM

Let's face it. There are those that like a bit of luxury and there are freeloaders. I'm off now.

Where are you off to may I ask - a nice hotel for a bit of luxury perchance!

That's what we do too when we fancy a bit of luxury!

Otherwise our very own bit of luxury is exactly the same wherever we park it!

No, it was time to watch Laura Kuenssberg blush. Very disappointed, they must have Sacked her already!

Goodbye and don't come back. *-)

A simple field, with water and dump facility. In other words, a THS.

On Club sites you are likely to bump into people like the above. >:-(

For us the facilities a campsite might offer are not necessarily the reason we would choose to go there, yes I like spotlessly clean toilets and showers with lashings of hot water, but for the 'right' campsite I would forego those.

Take my favorite area to go, there are three campsites within 1/3 of a mile, one is a big(ish) site, has all the facilities you might want including shop, bar etc. not interested. The second is a pleasant enough site, not too big, big flat pitches doesn't feel at all crowded, very well looked after, great toilets and showers, hard to find any fault with it, but we only stay here on the odd occasion and then only because it's open all year.

Then there's the site we often stay on, a bumpy field with hardly any flat areas, to get water you need to cross a bridge and carry it back in container, the toilets could best be described as adequate, the showers are blue porta showers kin awful, but it is just a bit closer to pub and beach, has just that bit better views and just a nice feel about it, ok wouldn't go there in high season as it's ram packed full, but outside of school holidays suits us just fine.

p.s. I should mention that there is little difference in price between all three.

747 - 2016-01-09 12:02 AM

Goodbye and don't come back. *-)

A simple field, with water and dump facility. In other words, a THS.

On Club sites you are likely to bump into people like the above. >:-(

Confused. Do you pay for THS, or not? ;)

Careful, you should not mock the layby campers they get very offended, poor old Rich cannot even afford a hook-up lead and then wonders why his charging system keeps packing up (lol). To be fair though some people just seem to enjoy slumming it and good luck to them, it leaves more room for the rest of us who only use the better aires and sites.

rupert123 - 2016-01-09 11:12 AM

Careful, you should not mock the layby campers they get very offended, poor old Rich cannot even afford a hook-up lead and then wonders why his charging system keeps packing up (lol). To be fair though some people just seem to enjoy slumming it and good luck to them, it leaves more room for the rest of us who only use the better aires and sites.

Oh dear Henry, once again you seem to have nothing better to do with your time than be naughty little stirrer. (lol)

Just a shame that you constantly feel the need to have a pop at others without contributing anything worthwhile yourself. (lol)

Smileys added so it is all in jest of course (lol)

Tracker - 2016-01-09 12:14 PM

Oh dear Henry, once again you seem to have nothing better to do with your time than be naughty little stirrer. (lol)

Just a shame that you constantly feel the need to have a pop at others without contributing anything worthwhile yourself. (lol)

Your smileys are wasted on those without any sense of humour.

Just consider that you don't have to live next door to him ...... and give yourself a great big smiley.

747 - 2016-01-09 1:31 PM

Your smileys are wasted on those without any sense of humour.

Just consider that you don't have to live next door to him ...... and give yourself a great big smiley.

Well yes, indeed. Rich is one of those who leaves himself wide open for this stuff. I mean the question asked was 'what important for campsite facility' so he immediately goes off on his usual tangent about aires, then accuses me of no contributing anything useful, bit ironic or what.

Sorry you took this in a serious manner. The question asked was 'what's important for your campsite facility', your contribution to shot off on a tangent about aires and then have the cheek to accuse me of not contributing. OK to keep you happy I require in a campsite, plenty of elbow room, hookup, clean toilets and showers and nice to have a pool when in southern euroland. On an aire since you bought them up, again enough room, very rare these days, water dump facilities, hookup preferred but not essential, my one battery and no solar power copes fine for up to three nights. I will only stay if the aire is a decent one and not to crowded and these are rare. Booking in is not a problem for me it is pretty relaxed in Europe and usually you drive up, go and find a pitch then return to office at your leisure to sign in. In fact I have taken longer to get into some aires lately especially with barriers and card payments. As you have not been to a campsite for years of course you are not really in a position to comment on them so why are you even on this thread?

rupert123 - 2016-01-09 2:01 PM

Sorry you took this in a serious manner. The question asked was 'what's important for your campsite facility', your contribution to shot off on a tangent about aires and then have the cheek to accuse me of not contributing. OK to keep you happy I require in a campsite, plenty of elbow room, hookup, clean toilets and showers and nice to have a pool when in southern euroland. On an aire since you bought them up, again enough room, very rare these days, water dump facilities, hookup preferred but not essential, my one battery and no solar power copes fine for up to three nights. I will only stay if the aire is a decent one and not to crowded and these are rare. Booking in is not a problem for me it is pretty relaxed in Europe and usually you drive up, go and find a pitch then return to office at your leisure to sign in. In fact I have taken longer to get into some aires lately especially with barriers and card payments. As you have not been to a campsite for years of course you are not really in a position to comment on them so why are you even on this thread?

What a load of twaddle.

As far as my requirements are for a camp site they only need to be clean and tidy. Every bodies requirements are different and what may suit me may not suit others.

For us the most important thing is

1 accessibility to village/town

2 Preferably flat and solid ground (Hard Grass or Hard standing )

3 Reasonable access to water/emptying

4 Showers/Toilets clean (and preferably single sex)

Will use aries on odd occasion for one night

PJay

Well I use Caravan Club sites though I have never felt the need to find fault with those who enjoy a different style of motorhoming.

Caravan Club membership is over 380,000 [over 1m if you include family members] and growing by more than 5,000 year. About 20% of existing members are motorhomers. whilst 30%+ of new members are motorhomers according to the CC. Over 300,000 members are registered with the Caravan Club's forum. It seems c76,000 members think the CC is OK for motorhomers, 150,000+ if you include partners/offspring. Add in Caravan & Camping Club members and there does seem to be a lot of motorhomers who like to use sites.

Brian BW - if you didn't know, the CC's booking system does enable you to identify sites which meet your requirements from the 27 options listed. These include Motorhome Service Points and EHU.

With tongue firmly in cheek, I would suggest that any campsite will do as long as no-one on here is there!

In reality however:- Clean facilities, larger pitches, EHU, and some bars/restaurants within walking/cycling distance ....oh.... and preferably over the channel.

Archived