Using an iPad in a motorhome

nasher

Hi, I have bought the 4G version and it should connect to wifi on its own. You cannot connect an aerial to the unit. It locks on to 3 (Three) itself. You can have it unlocked if you wish to use it abroad although it will still work with the 3 sim inserted.

No aerial required as the mifi receives a mobile phone signal to connect to the internet and then sends out a wifi signal that the ipad will receive via 'tethering' the two wirelessly.

Whether your mobile phone provider allows you to tether is another issue (3 do not allow it) and so you may have to find a different sim provider if this is the case - assuming that your e5330 is unlocked (it should be if it is 3) - can't speak for other providers..

Tracker - 2016-01-08 9:33 PM

No aerial required as the mifi receives a mobile phone signal to connect to the internet and then sends out a wifi signal that the ipad will receive via 'tethering' the two wirelessly.

Whether your mobile phone provider allows you to tether is another issue (3 do not allow it) and so you may have to find a different sim provider if this is the case - assuming that your e5330 is unlocked (it should be if it is 3) - can't speak for other providers..

3 do allow you to tether in the UK.

Tracker - 2016-01-08 11:03 PM

T8LEY - 2016-01-08 8:45 PM

They flippin' well didn't when we were away over Christmas!!

Had to switch to a GiffGaff sim on O2!!

I'll have to investigate.

I think it will depend on the deal you have. Mine's on a long term contract, PAYG may be different. 3 is good abroad also. Same rates as UK in many European countries.

T8LEY - 2016-01-08 10:40 PM

Tracker - 2016-01-08 11:03 PM

T8LEY - 2016-01-08 8:45 PM

They flippin' well didn't when we were away over Christmas!!

Had to switch to a GiffGaff sim on O2!!

I'll have to investigate.

I think it will depend on the deal you have. Mine's on a long term contract, PAYG may be different. 3 is good abroad also. Same rates as UK in many European countries.

This is correct - the PAYG deal does not allow tethering.

A monthly contract - even SIM only - does allow tethering.

I have used one of these 3 Mifi boxes for some time and it is invaluable - got it for £5pm = 1Gb data then I can do whatever phone deal is best for minutes etc. The mifi gives better data access than the phone as well as being share-able with up to 5 devices - so the kettle and the toilet cassette can access the web at the same time. :-D

Archived