Hymer Hartal Habitation Door Lock

starvin marvin

I have a problem, for which I need some advice/direction. The hab door lock has suddenly become "solid" in the unlocked position, the key goes into the cylinder but will not move either way. The door locks internally, and I have an additional security deadlock, so the vehicle is secure

The question is can anyone recommend anyone in the Midlands who I could contact for a repair. I've tried a proper locksmith who saw it and would not touch it. Lowdhams is unable to even look at at a cost of £70/hour until 29 Jan!!

Any ideas? I'm not going to strip the door myself so that option is out of the question.

Many thanks

Hi Tony,

The only vehicle locksmiths I know of locally are Duplicut... http://www.duplicut.co.uk/

I'm not sure if they would deal with habitation locks but always worth a call.

Keith.

Edit: Question - have you tried lubricating the lock? You may have a tumbler stuck. Use silicon spray or similar suitable for locks ( I personally don't rate WD40) and then run the key in and out a few times before trying to turn it.

After trying Hymer dealers (too long a lead in time or will only look at a vehicle they sold) I tried my fairly local, go to "fix it" man (ex Brownhills) who will strip the door and sort the lock...a result. Should have tried him first, I will learn eventually! Another loss for the dealers. Do they care? I certainly don't, they're a pain in the neck.

• 8 months later...
Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-13 5:32 PM

Before you let your Mr Fix-it loose on the door, I strongly suggest you follow Keith’s advice to lubricate the lock’s internals (preferably with a ‘dry’ lubricant) and see if that does any good. Do you have a 2nd key for the door? If so, try experimenting with that.

I'd spent far too long pondering what to do about my stuck/jammed lock, and had your advice repeating in my ear.

Eventually I saw a post on here, somebody looking for a new habitation door. Flicka replied with details of Hartal's agent/distributor, an outfit called Miriad Products, based in Uttoxeter.

The upshot was last week I gave them a call, they requested an email setting out the problem. Yesterday I received an email from a service engineer, gave him a call this morning. Hey presto he arrived at my house this afternoon and had the problem fixed in 10 mins! with some magic spray. 'Cause its a german van his master keys couldn't withdraw the barrel, but he gave it a good old spray. Brilliant result, really nice helpful guy.

So remember the name Miriad Products, terrific service.

Must repeat 1000 time's "When Derek tells you to do something, just do it"

Many thanks

I'm still waiting for the 1000 lines. And no cheating using copy and paste, haha !!! It takes me back to my school days and the threat of the cane.

Glad you got it all sorted by Miriad, good company - they helped me sort out modifications to my gas pipe system. They have some very knowledgeable guys in their organisation.

starvin marvin - 2016-09-14 7:36 PM

Ahem, Excuse me...

Before you let your Mr Fix-it loose on the door, I strongly suggest you follow Keith’s advice...

:D :D :D

Keithl - 2016-09-14 9:12 PM

starvin marvin - 2016-09-14 7:36 PM

Ahem, Excuse me...

Before you let your Mr Fix-it loose on the door, I strongly suggest you follow Keith’s advice...

:D :D :D

Sorry about that Keef, its going to be difficult having two guru's. In future I'll take much keener notice of your advice/comments. Don't rub it in anymore please, I know I'm a numpty.

Archived